These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

PremierGuitar interviews Sean Halley with JTV-89F at NAMM'13
by YirWaffy on 2013-01-30 12:35:03

Also covers StageSource L2t:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw7lZ3m-nR4

">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw7lZ3m-nR4">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw7lZ3m-nR4

Re: PremierGuitar interviews Sean Halley with JTV-89F at NAMM'13
by Nipp on 2013-01-30 22:34:33

Thanks.

The 89F is really hot.

Will most probably be my choice.

by YirWaffy on 2013-01-31 11:48:13

It's good to see some actual playing on the 89F. I wish they'd make a longer "shut-up-and-play-your-guitar" video of a production model so we could hear more of the models and alt. tunings.

StageSource is an interesting solution for those who need both the acoustic models and modeled amps coming from an HD500. It would be good to see a longer video demostrating them with a JTV too. Particularly because not many on the forums have access to a demo guitar of our choice. Especially hooked up to the rest of the Dream Rig and substituting the DT for StageSource for comparison.

by phil_m on 2013-01-31 11:59:22

Have you seen Sean's other videos? He has quite a few product demos on his Youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/seanhalleyguitar

">http://www.youtube.com/user/seanhalleyguitar">http://www.youtube.com/user/seanhalleyguitar

by YirWaffy on 2013-01-31 14:03:34

Thanks, I've seen most of the videos in that link and watched quite a few others on YouTube. What I'd like to see is a more in depth interview with the 89F itself. It would be nice to have Sean host and have a noted metal player along to help demo the "shut-up-and-play-your-guitar" part.

- Comparison of different models including a meaty comparison of the magnetic vs high-gain models.

- Palm muting with firmware 1.9.

- Any sonic differences between GraphTech FR and other JTV bridges.

- Tips and techniques for getting the most of out of the 89F.

Here's a supporting comment on the L6 89F intro video:

"Are there any longer demos coming regarding this guitar and of course Sean demoing it? "

by dchernov551 on 2013-01-31 18:09:31

Thanks for the video and for the additional links to Sean's great videos!

I second the wish of YirWaffy, - it would be great to see more in-depth review and interview with the JTV89F. A noted metal player would be of help as well since the artist could tell about the feel of this guitar and the reaction of the floating bridge. Any tips and techniques would be greatly welcome. I also wonder of what are the main differences between the GraphTech Floyd Rose and the JTV fixed bridge.

I'm trying to decide between JTV89 and JTV89F. Talking to the local dealer here (Eastern Europe), I was told that I can expect JTV89F theoretically somewhere in June! It's a crazy long wait and I do not know if I should wait or take JTV89 which is already available. Of course, there is always an option to get the guitar through shops like Thomann in Germany or even from US dealers. But what I would like to know is what are the main differences and advantages/disadvantages of having the GraphTech Floyd Rose bridge? I know of basic differences, but wonder how does it interact with the piezzo crystals and how does it affect the tone in this particular case? They say that floating bridges can be difficult to maintain if you are not very experienced, but I'm not sure if it is really so. I do not do crazy "dive bombs" or things like that, but like to play lead parts. Hard to decide.

I would be grateful if anyone could share their thoughts and opinions with me. Thanks again!

-- Denis

by Inerzia on 2013-02-01 16:54:40

I have an 89, and I'm quite happy with it.
The pickups sound ok, just the kind of sound you would expect from an Ibanez RG in general.
The fixed bridge is not a problem for me, because it's been a long time since I realised that I don't really use the tremolos on my guitars that much, so, when the JTVs came out, I was rather pissed off that they had decided to go for a fixed bridge on that kind of guitar, but decided to go for it anyway because it was the model that suited me best.
Now that the 89F is out there, I'll most probably be getting one and keep the one I have. The 89 (not F) allows me to do drop D in a breeze (I'm talking <5 seconds), and it's "real" drop D, which means I don't have to depend on the variax models to do any pitch changing and risk having any warble. The tuning stability is very satisfactory.

One will be capable of quickly dropping to D, and the other will have the tremolo, and that's fine with me, because I don't do a lot of either, so they'll be almost equal, and that's exactly what I need when I break a string, to grab a guitar that feels the same as the one I was playing.
The whole alternate tuning part of the variax just doesn't sound right, period, so I don't use it unless I'm reaaaaaaaaaally left without option.
Otherwise, having a nice "rocker/shredder" kind of guitar that can do convincing strats, teles, archtops and acoustics, sounds good enough to me.

by dchernov551 on 2013-02-01 19:11:25

Thank you so much for your message and for taking the time to tell me about your thoughts and your experience with your JTV89! It means very much to me and is being a great help. JTV89 is available here at the local dealer while the JTV89F will require me months of waiting before it finally gets here. I was told that is can theoretically arrive here in June, but I am not sure why it would take so long and not sure what my financial situation will be like then. While, not being sure why it would take so long, I am thinking of JTV89 which I originally wanted since I always dreamt of a "Rocker-Shredder" kind of guitar, but I actually got here while I was looking for "something that sounded like Rickenbacker". And while I cannot find the one for sale here, let alone afford it, I was pleasantly surprised with the fact that I can get two of them in one guitar, along with Fenders, Gibsons, semi-hollows, acoustics and even exotic bunch of instruments. Of course, I was taken away even without trying!

The fixed bridge does not seem to be a problem to me too. Playing my Fender Squier guitar, I was using lots of tremolo, but probably just because it was present there. Then while I was playing guitars with the fixed bridge, I never actually had a problem with that and could get most sounds I wanted. So I am bit lost in the situation and try to understand if I really need it or if I can safely live without it, having tremolo effect and whammy effect in multi-effects gear, having expression pedal at my feet. Of course, not the same, but what do you think? I know, I need to explore this topic more in-depth, but once inspiration strikes, it is the only true moment when you really know what you DO need and what you DO NOT need. However, no wonder that you felt bad when Line 6 came up with JTV89F when you already had the previous version without it.

It is great that the tuning stability is satisfactory and it sounds great that it is possible to go to REAL drop D so fast without any trouble. I guess, it is not that easy and fast with the floating bridge? Am I right or wrong? Sure thing, having two guitars at hand would sound like a dream come true. But I can offer only one, so will have to think and decide if it is worth waiting or not. Probably everyone will be getting JTV89 with tremolo now, leaving their FR-less brothers standing there in the shops. But let's hope it's not the case!

I never really used much alternate tuning stuff except for the Drop D and the fact that I always tune my guitar 1/2 step down from the standard or even go lower at times because I like the tone very much and like the sound to be this way not because of the heavy distorted parts, but for the clean depth of the sound, to give it more room and atmosphere, if I dare to say so. So I am used to physically tuning my guitar lower than standard which would be a life safer in JTV's case since I could experiment with anything from standard to non-standard dropped tunings. But it seems that it will give trouble with the limitations of the technology. Maybe some more samples somewhere and someplace? It would be greatly appreciated if someone would come up with some.

Thank you again for your reply and I hope you get yourself another guitar beauty to keep you safe and happy at the gigs! Keep on rocking and stay safe!

-- Denis

by Inerzia on 2013-02-02 09:56:43

Changing tunings with a floating bridge is far from fast and easy... :-)

by dchernov551 on 2013-02-02 11:28:44

Hehe... I guess I should go for the hardtail fixed bridge. I do not want to spoil or break something that precious and expensive! Thanks again for your comments and attention!

If there is any place where I could hear your music, be it your experience with JTV or without, would be happy to do so!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.