These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Is Line 6 still supporting/ interested in amp modeling?
by robotto on 2013-01-30 13:59:45

I have a POD HD Pro. I like it a lot. As well, I have had a number of POD devices over the history of the line which I also liked. Only complaint is that it is not living up to it's full potential. I't missing a lot of crucial stuff that the modern technology should easily support.

Does anyone have any insight as to what is going on with Line 6? We are on Firmware 2.1 and the stuff has been out since 2010. Either there is a new modeling product right around the corner, or they are just gonna focus on live sound.

It all seems very weird.

Come on Line 6. you can do it!

Robotto

Re: Is Line 6 still supporting/ interested in amp modeling?
by TheRealZap on 2013-01-30 14:05:41

what are you talking about dude? they just got an award for the pro at NAMM!

https://twitter.com/Line6/status/295082019703111680/photo/1

is this another one of those weepy, we dont have this model or that model threads? cause hold tight while i go tune up my violin!

i'm positive that they are still doing modeling stuff...

i'm also positive that their focus and momentum is on the live stuff right now.

mines not missing anything "crucial"

is there stuff that'd be nice to have? sure.

by phil_m on 2013-01-30 14:12:27

If you're asking if they're still interested in amp modeling technology, I would guess the answer would be yes. Heck, they practically invented the market.

The question I think at present has to do with how interested the market in general is in amp modeling at the moment. The way I see it, amp modeling has become ubiquitous now, and it's getting harder and harder for companies to set themselves apart. It seems that Line 6's approach in the last few years has been to try to offer a more comprehensive experience, i.e., the Dream Rig. Another thing, too, is that Line 6 has always seemed to be very careful to tread the line of making digital gear that doesn't necessarily feel like digital gear. I still think they're one of the few companies out there making digital guitar stuff that actually takes ergonomics seriously.

What specifically do you think the HD Pro is missing?

by robotto on 2013-01-30 15:04:08

I hear what you guys are saying. As I said, I like my HD quite a bit. I just see the technology blasting forward and the initial innovator hanging way back. It's a bit of a bummer.

Stuff that's missing, I don't really have to list em. There have been heaps of posts in this forum on that. I think the most popular being bass amps, parameter values and not percentages, and a pre cab sim output option for live/ traditional cab use, while still going to FOH direct. Yeah, we can work around these things and it sounds ok. I just don't get why it is not getting addressed. At all. They have had so much time to do so.

I have positive hopes for the product range,  I just don't see company activity/ product development that reflects the potential of the technology. If it's because the hardware limits have been reached, just tell us. If the firmware has to be completely re-written, just tell us.

Robotto

by joel_brown on 2013-01-31 07:43:58

There were some goofy thing that should have been obvious to Line6, such as EQ with a Percentage knob instead of Frequency.  It does seem like it takes quite a while for some of these things to be addressed, if ever.  But it's not easy code to write either.  And when a new feature or change is implemented in any code, lots of regression testing has to take place just to make sure you don't break anything else.  Not including the testing to see if the new code works as expected.

And while it would be nice if Line6 told us what they were doing to upgrade, fix, or what new features they were working on, you gott'a remember their competition would like to know too.  Plus too many customers take it the wrong way when a developer says they're trying to do a particular feature/fix/change and decide later it can't be done or must be done differantly.

Atleast this was how it was for me when I used to work for a software development company.

by PremiumJones on 2013-01-31 09:49:24

Amp "modelling" is just a term with no meaning these days.

Back in the day, Company X would make a box with 18 crappy distortions and give them names like "Tube", "Overdrive", "Saturated", "Metal", etc.

Now they make the same box wih the same 18 crappy distortions and call them "Marchall JMP", "Marchall JCM", "Peavey 5150", "Rectifier", etc.

Line 6 is the only company I know of that actually approached it as modelling the real amps rather than attaching the names of amps that kinda sound similar. The general guitar playing public now associates "modelling" with the same old crappy tones that have been coming our of BOSS, DigiTech, etc for the last 30 years. No one is excited about it because what is called "modelling" is now boring, same old same old crap.

I think L6 are pretty smart to see this and move some focus onto other things like the Stage Source stuff - they have to innovate in a differnt place now, becuase the innovation they started in guitar amp technology is now passe and has been co-opted and reduced to lameness by other comanies doing the same thing in a lesser way.

by spaceatl on 2013-01-31 11:45:37

I think they have pretty much maxed out the cost effective sharc 333 mHz....Sure they can optimize, but I don't see much happening until they can do at least 4 sharcs at the same price point in one box...And if they were to really get to REAL resolution and scale, they would really need to go to 8 sharcs...Just like UAD2s..But those 8 way cards are $1500...And they are nothing but raw sharc DSP chips basically...I think they are using the same ones...or something close...

by kdog on 2013-01-31 12:22:20

Line 6 has released major firmware updates for all of their modeling products within the last year. Tonally, they are on the cutting edge at their price point.

IMHO, they need to polish the firmware up a bit and I agree it does make them look sort of dumb. The EQ thing is just egregiously stupid and it is amazing it has been like that for so long. It basically cripples a critical feature of the unit. Honestly they just need to scrap those retarded things and redo them. Having fixed shelf points on the parametric basically requires me to burn two slots and more DSP by putting in redundant EQ blocks because no single block is useful by itself. Look at some of the patches by people like meambobbo, etc, and it's absurd how many EQ blocks they have to use for simple sound tweaks.

But, that said, their main focus with the HD line has clearly been on AMP MODEL QUALITY over speed of updates or quantity of new models/features which they were severely hassled about on previous generation units.

So, given that they have nailed down the bread and butter aspect of the unit, that they are the #1 selling line of products in the field, and that they have pushed new major updates across 7 units (5 PODs+2DTs), saying that it seems like they are "not interested" in modeling is just nonsense. I'd really defy you to explain how, for guitar, the HD units are missing some critical thing that is standing in the way of anyone's creativity/music making. IMHO, in spite of not being perfect, they are pretty much at the forefront of modeling as far as the gear industry goes in the consumer price range (say, < $1000) and they finally compare MUCH better than they used to in the no-expense spared category... to the point where I could see someone picking the HD over the higher priced units for some scenarios or tastes.

by Akeron on 2013-01-31 13:37:55

kdog wrote:

Look at some of the patches by people like meambobbo, etc, and it's absurd how many EQ blocks they have to use for simple sound tweaks.

Yeah it's in fact absurd. That's why I don't use any

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.