These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Line 6 Spyder IV speaker jacks in the back???
by larryriv on 2013-01-31 08:50:39

I have a Spyder IV 150 combo that has two jacks for 8 ohm speakers. Does anyone know what wattage, size, whatever I should use.  Also, I saw that someone said it mutes the two speakers in the cabinet.  Is this true?  If so, what is the advantage if any, to using the jacks for two different speakers?

Re: Line 6 Spyder IV speaker jacks in the back???
by fflbrgst on 2013-02-01 06:01:01

75 watts per channel, 8 ohm.  Make sure you do not use a lowere impedance load on each than 8 ohms or you could damage the amplifier.

The 'advantages' woudl be using other speakers that have a sound you like, or spreading the speakers out for a more 'stereo' image, or to have one speaker on each side of a stage.

by larryriv on 2013-02-09 08:07:50

Is it true that if you plug in the external speakers, the two twelves in the cabinet don't come on?

by fflbrgst on 2013-02-11 05:49:33

Yes, it is true.  It is important to present the right load on the amp (as in all solid state amps), else you can burn out components in the amp.  Hooking up two  8 ohm speakers to one circuit in parallel would result in a 4 ohm load, which could harm the amp.

by larryriv on 2013-03-14 07:37:38

Is there any problem with plugging in speakers that are more than 8 ohms-just to be safe?

by fflbrgst on 2013-03-15 08:55:23

Impedance loads over 8 ohms are ok, but you might not get the same volume out of the amp.   remember that plugging in two 8 ohm speakers together on 1 circuit can result in a 4 ohm load if wired in parallel, and a 16 ohm load if wired in series.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.