These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Am I over reacting?
by klarkkentster on 2013-02-02 17:58:59

I ordered a brand new JTV  69 01/02/2013. As of yet... the guitar has not shipped. My local music store and Line 6 have been great communicating any info on the status of the order... including an email directly from the Line 6 Region Sales rep...which I thought was cool.  As expected I am really wanting to to start playing my guitar.... so I asked the msic store to bring in a JTV-89 from another location.  It sounded great....played great... BUT - it has a serial number in early 2011.  My brain is stuck on thinking if I wait for my new one,,, which could be a couple more weeks... some of the hassles I have read on this forum will not affect my new one.... due to Line 6 (hopefully) inproving their product and quality control since last year. 

Should I suck it up and go with the year or so old 89.... or wait for the more current 69? 

Any thoughts from the group?

Re: Am I over reacting?
by TheRealZap on 2013-02-02 18:55:41

the necks on those are worlds different...

having said that... get the one that will make you happiest long term...

it's a pretty decent pile of cash to get either one....

they both would have a warranty and your standard return from the store...

basically the only danger in waiting, is having to wait longer for a replacement....

if you go for the 69 and it has any issues... return it to the store for exchange.

don't deal with servicing it etc... get a good one from the start.

you've researched the issues and know what to look for... you're already way ahead of the game.

by silverhead on 2013-02-02 19:26:33

I agree with Zap - make your decision based on whether you would prefer the 69 or the 89 long-term. Don't worry about short term considerations - a couple of weeks extra waiting is small beans in the long run. And  in either case (69 or 89) any structural problems will be resolved by replacement or under warranty.

by hardins1 on 2013-02-13 21:42:44

I originally purchased an older 69 with a humbucker but wasnt really happy with it so I sent it back and waited for the new 69s to come in and Im so glad I did. Completely different guitar plays better has a different bridge setup and stays in tune much much better.. they made a few other minor changes too. This thing is by far a much better quality guitar I couldn't be happier...

by Nipp on 2013-02-14 03:35:42

hardins1 wrote:

I originally purchased an older 69 with a humbucker but wasnt really happy with it so I sent it back and waited for the new 69s to come in and Im so glad I did. Completely different guitar plays better has a different bridge setup and stays in tune much much better.. they made a few other minor changes too. This thing is by far a much better quality guitar I couldn't be happier...

I've read quite a few comments of that sort - I switched to this model and it was completely different quality of instrument.

One wonders if this means there are a couple of factories - and quality is noticibly better on some?

Worrysome....

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.