These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

Start-up problem with Variax 300
by mashgear on 2013-02-04 07:56:40

This Board has been so helpful in solving other problems related to my 300 and 500, I'd thought I'd give this one a try. I'm powering my 300 with batteries--fresh ones. When I plug in the 1/4" jack there is a about a 5 second delay until the guitar seems to 'notice' that the jack is in there and it powers itself. Until that, no audio output. The 5 second delay wouldn't be so bad, but when I haven't played the guitar for awhile (say, overnight), the delay is much longer. To the point where sometimes I can't get it to start up (i.e., no audio output) until I unplug the 1/4" jack from my guitar to my pedalboard and plug the guitar directly into my amp. That seems to 'wake up' the 300. Then I can go back to connecting the guitar through the pedalboard and it works fine again (fine, but with a 5 second delay until it starts up). I have tried powering with the XPS box and no real difference. It actually seems to work better with batteries. I've scanned the discussions and can't find any posts with quite the same problem. Anyone out there have any ideas?  Thanks much.

BTW, in full disclosure, I should add that I replaced the standard LR Baggs piezos with GraphTechs. However, that part works fine. I don't think the GraphTechs have a role in this problem.

Re: Start-up problem with Variax 300
by amx05462 on 2013-02-04 08:34:03

its not the pickups... id reflash the  software  for the guitar  to start with.

by mashgear on 2013-02-04 08:35:34

Oops. Should have added that's the first thing I tried. You mean reload from from Monkey, right? --A

by amx05462 on 2013-02-04 08:41:18

yes reflash the guitar  again then ... could have  a glitch in the  software ... try a  previous  version.

by mashgear on 2013-02-07 05:34:35

It's so odd the problems that reflashing fixes. Especially when you've already done it once recently. Thanks for the suggestion. Reflashing seemed to help alot. Since it was intermittent, I'm going to give it some more time before I declare the problem solved, but there's a huge improvement.

by mashgear on 2013-02-20 08:09:33

The problem came back to the point where that the battery was not powering the guitar at all... no sound out of it with the battery. It worked fine with the external power supply. So I took the the guitar apart and it turned out that the connector from the battery to the circuit board had completely pulled out. I guess it was loose before causing the intermittent problem. But it had totally worked it's way out. I had my wife, who has much skinnier fingers than I do, push the connector back into the circuit board. That totally fixed it. It's working fine now.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.