These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

quasi-mastered Pod HD (500/pro/bean) patches
by meambobbo on 2013-02-06 17:51:07

ALL CAPS MAJOR ANNOUCEMENTses...

1) I have finally quasi-mastered my patches as gig-level volumes against the cd's used to dial them in.  So they should sound great at full volume as well as in mixes similar to those used as reference.  If you have a question about what was used as reference, please ask.

I had previously volume-leveled all my patches, but I probably screwed that up with the latest tweaks.  I won't have time to truly level them all again for a little while.  Sorry.  Also, I know the effects aren't always ordered the same way they appear in Edit - I blame Edit for that - it takes too much time to get them ordered correctly.  Also, I probably  don't have all the footswitches set up to toggle effects on/off like  I'd want to in a live situation.  I don't play live, so I don't have  that requirement.  I will eventually get around to it, but if you need  it now, you'll have to make the changes yourself. Soooorrrry.

Also, I now use a Crunch Lab and Liquifire in my JPM and D-Activators in my RGA8.  So they are dialed in for those pickups specifically (7S_* patches for the RGA8, everything else using the JPM).  Use that reference point to adjust.  The JPM seems to have a bit more gain and smooth crispiness to it.

Please give me some feedback as to how the patches sound.  I don't have awesome expensive monitors or a sound-dampened room to play in.  I just get the tone sounding good on my headphones and monitors and call it a day.  I tend to have made them a bit darker this go round...let me know  if I overdid it.

2) BY POPULAR DEMAND, I have made HD Pro and HD Desktop/Bean versions of my patches and setlists.  Keep in mind I don't own either device, so there may be a discrepancy here or there.  The common trick of changing the file extension and loading was not a 100% replication.  The input settings were always "off".  So I had to go back and manually set those up.  I cannot guarantee none of the settings got changed.  If something sounds horrible, let me know and I'll compare specific patches to the original HD 500 ones.

3) I will soon be posting requests for clips to put up on my site with a revamped tone demo section.  I'll take whatever you're willing to give me (solos/rhythm, solo/full mix, single-tracked/double-tracked, original  compositions/covers/random riffs or noodling), but I'm only going to  post stuff that I think sounds badazz.  You guys tend to exceed that  bar, so...

I will announce specific "prizes" to go along with those who can get me the best clips, but anyone featured on my site will get credit with their name, as well as a link to their page (or whatever you'd prefer). Would definitely be a good way to get exposure.

I won't be too rigid about what is allowable or not, but the ground rule is to not make heavy modifications to the patches or use a bunch of external gear.  And to please let me know how you've deviated from my stock patches.

Enjoy, humans!

www.foobazaar.com/podhd/patches/

Re: quasi-mastered Pod HD (500/pro/bean) patches
by GTLazer on 2013-02-07 00:53:56

I don't know how you find the time to do this, especially with a mini-Bobbo, but needless to say it is greatly appreciated. I've got the house to myself for a few hours this evening, so I'll be making some noise. :-)

by Gessinger10 on 2013-02-07 06:03:14

You created patches running through what? monitor, headphones? Tnks

by BrianLiu on 2013-02-07 07:24:24

It's great !

I love you   !!!!!

by meambobbo on 2013-02-07 08:39:36

yeah, the wife and kid were out for the night, so I cranked it up loud and spent the night dialing them in.  Most of them were already really close, since I've spent so much time on it before.  But normally I'm in the cans.  It was very refreshing to crank up the monitors.  I was surprised by how much it felt like I still had my dedicated guitar amps, especially for clean tones.

by meambobbo on 2013-02-07 08:43:46

I have worked on these patches for a while, and most of the work was done using Sennheiser 280 pro headphones (attached to my computer audio interface, not directly to the Pod - so no impedance issues).  And I connect to my interface using SPDIF @ 96kHZ.  The other night I cranked them up and touched them up using my M-Audio BX8a monitors at what I would consider gig-level volume considering the small size of the room I was in.

Last night, I did a quick run-through in the cans again, and noticed a couple of patches are still a little off.  I'll be doing another sweep and posting ASAP.  You can see the updates clearly - they will have a "2" instead of "1" at the end of the patch name.  Ultimately, I need the patches to sound good in both headphones and through monitors - neither give an accurate/complete picture by themselves.

by meambobbo on 2013-02-07 08:44:07

i love lamp

by meambobbo on 2013-02-07 08:44:27

has anyone verified the desktop or pro patches work correctly?

by dbagchee on 2013-02-07 15:51:31

Haven't had a chance to try these out but will soon (probably the weekend). I'm looking forward to trying these a rehearsal volume as I haven't yet been able to get a "ampy" type sound direct through the PA.

by Apologist on 2013-02-07 18:21:56

Ill have time to checkem out over the weekend for the Bean ..Ill let you know and maybe post a sample.

by owens_hound on 2013-02-08 06:30:49

Silly question but, how do you download these patches?

Thanks,

by jimsreynolds on 2013-02-08 07:05:12

Choose the unit you have from the list of folders/directories (eg HD500)

Right-click on the patch that interests you and choose 'Save As' or similar option.  Choose a location where you can find the file that you downloaded and click OK.

Then use HD Edit to import the patch to your unit (q.v. main Line 6 documentation and other threads).

by owens_hound on 2013-02-08 07:52:47

Awesome!  Thanks.

I was missing the import to HD edit part.

by dbagchee on 2013-02-09 13:53:41

I did a couple quick demos of the Metallica patches with the riffs I could remember at the top of my head. They sound sooooo good (my playing, maybe not so much)! I didn't tweak them at all.

https://soundcloud.com/dipendra/meambobbo-tone-demo-metblk

https://soundcloud.com/dipendra/meambobbo-tone-demo-metjst1

by meambobbo on 2013-02-09 20:53:13

sweet - sounds good!! - playing is fine.  those two took me a while and they're still not where I want them, but I'm kind of throwing in the towel.  They are also sensitive to the pickups used.  You may have to tweak the Distortion EQ early in the chain to get the amp distortion tone to sound best.

by jimsreynolds on 2013-02-10 04:56:19

Niiiice tones !!

by Apologist on 2013-02-10 07:24:38

Doesnt look like Im going to have time this weekend .. lotsa company and some military personal that came home early =)

by meambobbo on 2013-02-21 20:55:11

http://www.foobazaar.com/podhd/patches/hd500/maB_02-21-13.h5s

this">http://www.foobazaar.com/podhd/patches/hd500/maB_02-21-13.h5s">http://www.foobazaar.com/podhd/patches/hd500/maB_02-21-13.h5s

thislooks to be the final patches.  setlist file for 500.  bean, pro, and individual patches coming this weekend.

edit: twas a mistake in the first upload that's been corrected - make sure you have SH_DT-Mk4R_5 and SH_DT-Mk2L_5 or you're missing out.

by stowmd on 2013-02-25 08:15:01

Thanks very much Meambobbo.

I was using your Satch Surfing with Alien tone to jam along to "Always with me, Always with you" on my Pod HD bean and it sounded cool. I had to stick a noise gate in front of signal chain in Pod HD Edit, that was it, perfect for me on my Ibanez RG.

by meambobbo on 2013-02-25 09:29:08

Glad you enjoyed. That patch could use a few more layered delays but I couldn't fit them. Also it'd be nice to have a WAH but I prefer to use a dedicated external one anyway.

by stowmd on 2013-02-25 09:49:06

I typically add a dab more delay in Logic after I tracked the guitar. So that will help if it needs a tad more delay to sit it in mix.

thanks again!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.