These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: XD-V Digital Wireless Microphones

wireless mic forums

Has anybody ever put 14 XD-V75 systems to the acid test?
by jjsound1 on 2013-02-06 18:27:59

Hello group.

I have quite a collection of wireless microphones but I am always looking for more bandwidth. My only experience has been with a multi-channel Sabine system in the same band as the XD-V75. And then only by speaking to two operators of that system. They say rehearsals go fine but when the audience arrives the noise and popping starts.

Have you (or anybody) ever run a worst case test on a full 14 channel Line 6 system?

To me, that would be a large auditouium and a 14 mic test as well as an unsecured wifi router (conected or not to the web) operating on the same band as the mics. Before audience arrives find the farthest away spot you go and hear the mic signal just begin to break up. Mark that spot. Then after a full house audience is let in to the auditorium return to that same spot and see if the mic signals act the same? This can be done with two people and using headphones so not to disturb the audience.

This test would prove to me if the technology is actually interference resistant. I hope the system lives up to the advertising.

Thank you,

John

Re: Has anybody ever put 14 XD-V75 systems to the acid test?
by RonMarton on 2013-02-07 02:19:55

We've had 12 systems simultaneously pass your "acid test" (9 of mine and three borrowed) with regard to drop-out free wireless mic coverage, but that was using Line 6's older "RF1" four-frequency-hopping spread-spectrum scheme.

However, the fact that no-one (who might have been "hanging off" sundry base stations and/or routers) reported WiFi or Bluetooth problems to us does NOT necessarily mean that all users were free of them.

A look at this discussion of "RF1" versus "RF2" may help: http://line6.com/support/thread/84358?tstart=0,particularly Don Boomer's typically sage advice.

As for me, I'm yet to be convinced that the dual-frequency "RF2" scheme will in fact allow succesful simultaneous operation of 14 co-located systems in the presence of various forms of WiFi and/or Bluetooth activity, ...but then I am a conservative old codger.    

by dboomer on 2013-02-07 12:25:30

Hey John

I think you have the wrong idea.

RF2 mode is not as interference resistant as RF1 mode is.  RF2 mode uses interference avoidance (same as all other wireless mics) and you must move out of the way of strong interference. You will have to scan for open channels and move out of the way of a wi-fi channel.  I would not expect to be able to run 14 channels silmultaneously in the presence of much wi-fi interference. Typically I would expect to be able to run 8 channels and a single wi-fi channel at the same time.

In RF1 mode you can easily run 12 channels in the midst of consioderable wi-fi interference without regard to scanning.

As far as your test for distance ... the maximum range of the wireless systems will decrease as the interference increases ... same as with any other wireless system.  So people in the audience will not affect distance provided you keep an open line of sight and they are not carrying wi-fi devices.  But I wouldn't suspect it will affect your distance very much unless they are VERY close to your receiver's antennas.  And I would expect this to happen in a normal situation.

by sdevino on 2013-02-10 19:54:03

I have run 14 channel systems in two community theatre applications. In both cases we simply unplugged the WiFI router in the room prior to each show. If the router was not turned off we would have experienced dropouts on one or two channels.

Bluetooth and cell phones have little or any effect on performance other than to make otherwise idle WiFi access points crank up. So you might see dropouts with audience that were not there during prior to audience. The cure is to disable the WiFi or plan on fewer channels.

- Use the channel scan feature on the XD-V75 to identify which channels are at risk.

- Use the RF Performance page on the XD-V75 receiver to monitor errors and dropouts in real time. The receiver also counts mutes since power was turned on even if they are only a couple of mS long.

- To see mute and error counts go to the RF Performance screen and turn the encoder to the right.

- You can use this mode to aim directional antennas for best coverage in trouble spots and to avoid WiFi.

The trick to running in the presence of WiFi is to ensure your transmitters are much closer to the antennas than the WiFi is. Paddles and cable work well for this.

Steve

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.