These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Do the XLR Outs of the POD HD 500 provide Line level?
by Karin23 on 2013-02-10 06:48:10

Hi there,

On this page http://line6.com/podhd/multi-effects/compare.html">http://line6.com/podhd/multi-effects/compare.html">http://line6.com/podhd/multi-effects/compare.htmlit is stated that the XLR Outs of the POD HD 500 provide only Mic level? Does that mean, I can't use the XLR Outs of the POD HD 500 on stage to plug in directly to the mixing console of the house or into an audio interface for HW recording?

I can see that I could plug-in a mic level signal into the Mic IN of the mixing console - but I'm used to having my POD X§ Live where the XLR Outs provide line level. So I'm hesitant to move to the POD HD 500 where the XLR Outs provide only Mic level.

Also, I'm using the XLR Outs of my POD X3 Live to plugin into the XLR Ins of my audio interface (edirol FA-101). Would that still work with the XLR mic level signal of the HD 500's XLRs?

Looking forward to your feedback!

Love,

Karin

PS: A technician at a local shop told me that the XLR Outs of the POD HD 500 provide Line level. If this is so, what is the difference than between Mic level and Line level (e.g. on the XLR Outs of the POD HD Pro - which feature both levels)?

Re: Do the XLR Outs of the POD HD 500 provide Line level?
by spaceatl on 2013-02-10 08:00:39

The last signal process in the HD500 chain is a mic model. The level is consistent with a microphone like it would be if you placed a mic in front of a real cabinet...Only without the increased ambient noisefloor that goes with a real mic...You just plug the XLR into the XLR of any house mixing console and treat it like you would a real mic.

The difference is the level...You just treat the XLR outs of the HD500 the same way as you would treat any microphone and you will be fine...The difference is level...Real line level can be a volt or more and give +4 db of signal, where mic level is much lower than a volt and typically is -15 db or less in level...mic level requires a mic preamp with all decent mixers have available on every channel.

On your Edirol, you might need to set the inputs to mic level...consult your documentation on your interface...Most are configurable...

by phil_m on 2013-02-10 08:04:52

The XLR outs on the HD500 are essentially the same level as the ones on the X3L, so if you're using the X3L's XLR outputs, you should be fine.

by Karin23 on 2013-02-12 13:08:24

Thanks guys!!

by brue58ski on 2013-02-12 23:08:30

I have gotten a line level out of the XLR's.  The first step is to turn the Master volume up FULL.  And for certain patches you may need to turn up the mixer, pan things to center, or use a compressor to get it all the way up to line level.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.