These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Can't hear microphone with Line 6 UX1
by bluemookie on 2013-02-12 05:08:49

I have to imagine that this has been answered dozens of times, but I couldn't find an answer...

I have a Windows 7 PC with a UX1 as my primary sound card and I'm using Adobe Audition 3.0 for my software.  I am using ASIO UX1 for my configuration.  When recording instruments, I change the input to "Instrument" and launch Pod Farm and I can hear and record my guitar.  When I switch from "Instrument" to "mic", I can record using the microphone, but I can't hear it in my headphones live.  I've tried playing with the Windows sound settings, by right clicking on the notification speaker, clicking on "Recording devices" and clicking "listen" to the UX1, but I get that awful latency, making it impossible to record when the microphone has that heavy delay on it.

So, how do people normally address this issue?  Will switching to Windows XP help?  What's my next move?

Re: Can't hear microphone with Line 6 UX1
by TheRealZap on 2013-02-12 05:24:28

sounds like you need to turn monitoring on, in adobe audition for the track armed and setup for the mic input.

by bluemookie on 2013-02-12 05:41:11

I don't suppose you would know how to turn monitoring on with Audition 3.0, would you?  The track records, but I can't hear it while I'm recording. 

by TheRealZap on 2013-02-12 05:49:18

haven't used audition in years, but there is probably a tiny button next to the track with an M or a speaker icon on it, is what most programs do

by bluemookie on 2013-02-12 05:54:06

I found it...

11. Determine monitoring needs (Adobe Audition Mix versus External monitoring).

Adobe Audition features three possible types of monitoring for the incoming audio signal. Selecting the proper monitoring type can help to avoid possible problems with driver performance. For more information about monitoring, see the "To hear inputs with effects applied to tracks" section of the Adobe Audition User Guide. Sound cards with low-latency drivers should perform equally well using any of the three monitoring methods. Sound cards with high latency drivers cause a significant delay between what is being played and what is being monitored. If the delay is too long, it's possible you're limited to monitoring External inputs only.

To set the monitoring type choose Options > Monitoring and select one of the following:

• Adobe Audition Mix > Smart Input: Monitors the input only when you record a track. Use this setting only if your sound card latency is low enough not to cause a signal delay.
  • Adobe Audition Mix > Always Input: Monitors the input at all times during playback and recording. Use this setting only if your sound card latency is low enough not to cause a signal delay.
  • External: Monitors the input directly from the sound card, without routing them through effects and sends in Adobe Audition. This option bypasses Adobe Audition and lets the sound card pass audio directly through to the outputs. For more details about monitoring directly through the sound card, consult your sound card user guide.

by TheRealZap on 2013-02-12 06:34:06

did that solve the issue? just curious...

by bluemookie on 2013-02-12 06:40:15

Well, I'm actually at work right now, so I won't be able to try it until I get home.  Last night, I was running Adobe Audition and that's it.  Do I need to have POD Farm 2 running at the same time?  Will that give me a low latency monitor?  I'm just looking at the documentation...  When I play a guitar, I have to have POD Farm 2 running.  Why not with a microphone?

by TheRealZap on 2013-02-12 06:48:21

there are pod farm tones for microphones, and its worth a try... cant offer a definitive answer though.

by bluemookie on 2013-02-13 06:46:52

And yes, that did the trick.  Either by running Pod Farm 2 in the background or using Smart Monitor from within.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.