These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: GearBox

Gearbox GOLD Plugin (Hardware)
by gzimmer73 on 2013-02-12 15:03:20

I can get a Gearbox GOLD Plugin (DI) from a firend on a trade. This is the hardware unit, that as far as I understand is hard-wired inside with the GOLD bundle.

He lost the software disk.

Can I download the gearbox software from Line6 web site, and will it all work with the unit (once he transfers the license to me)?

By itself, just like any other Toneport, these are basically just an interface without sounds if used without the softeare? Yes? No?

My main concern is whether I can use it at all if I get it.

Also, how many times can a Line6 piece of hardware (and/or software) be resold?

I heard there was a linit of two. Does that mean that all of the UX1s, UX2s, Toneports and so forth can act as land-fill after the second sale?

Thank-you, Gene

Re: Gearbox GOLD Plugin (Hardware)
by TheRealZap on 2013-02-12 15:40:29

you should be fine with that unit... the unit can be sold and used until it dies....

skip gearbox though... free upgrade to pod farm 1.x (not 2.x)

and yes, you can use it as an interface without using gearbox/pod farm

by gzimmer73 on 2013-02-13 07:56:45

Great, thank-you! I will give it a try.

I am curious. With a piece of harware like the UX1 or GX or older Guitarports, what happens if you get one of those without the software?

Can you still download and use whatever software came with that hardware at the original time?

by TheRealZap on 2013-02-13 10:10:20

you can download the line6 software here and that should just work, because the license is hardcoded onto the hardware...

however, some units come with third party (non-line6) software.... for that you'd need the disc and product keys.

by gzimmer73 on 2013-02-21 14:07:19

OKay, thanks.

One final question. If I buy a Toneport DI Gold, and the owner transfers NOTHING at all, can I still download the software, and will it work?

Is there some minimum action that needs to be by the original owner to transfer the hardware or license to the new owner?

You say the license is hardcoded to the hardware piece.

For example, if I find a Toneport DI Gold in a dumpster (hypothetical), and plug it in, what would I need to get it to work besides downloading the software?

Thank-you all for your help.

by TheRealZap on 2013-02-21 14:12:01

you can download the software direct... no problems.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.