These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: DT50/DT25

DT50 112 - Died While I was playing last night....
by PDKTDK on 2013-02-13 08:32:56

Master level was about 1-2:00.

I played for maybe 3 minutes.  I swear I felt like the light got brighter for a second.  Then it was dead.  I changed the fuse next to the power cable.  Still dead.

Would a tube issue cause such a sudden failure?  Would it cause it to die completely with no power/lights?

I bought it in October/2011 from Guitar Center.  I took out the extended warranty that they said would get me 2 years of coverage.  There is a GC service provider local to me.  He also said most warranty companies work with him.

It would just be nice if it could be a simple fix.  Are there other fuese I am not aware of?

I would really be happy if it was a simple fix.

I look forward to your feedback/suggestions.

I LOVE THAT AMP. 

Re: DT50 112 - Died While I was playing last night....
by spaceatl on 2013-02-13 10:29:28

oh boy, sorry to hear about that...

You said you checked the fuse next to the power cable (tube amp safety fuse?)...Did you check the IEC connector itself? This where the power cable plugs in...I know my SVs are like this...There is a little box on the bottom of the connector that pops out and has the power fuse in it...The obvious fuse is the tube safety fuse...On the SVs when the tube safety goes, or either of the two internal fuses (heaters and plates), it is only the power amp that is nonfunctional...The preamp continues to work and light up...Methinks the DT is probably very similar...Not near mine at the moment, but check the IEC fuse and make sure you get the correct rating if it blew...That is the only fuse I know of that shuts down everything...

by TheRealZap on 2013-02-13 10:46:53

there are 2 fuses on the back... one thats obvious and next to the power cable... thats probably the one you checked...

the other is underneath of the power cord... pull the cord out and you should see a little slide out deal near the bottom of the power cable socket.

this one, went on me... but it was due to another issue,... so replacing that just blew them instantly...

still worth a try... that and it's a good thing to see the blown fuse... because that protected other things...

i also heard that there were a couple more fuses internal to the amp... but don't know much else about them.

by PDKTDK on 2013-02-13 13:29:52

Well guys,

I hope it's that fuse and I hope its the same as the one I replaced since I bought a number of them and have them on hand.  I'll let you know when I get home tonight.

I hope it's not the sign of a further problem.

Damn!

by PDKTDK on 2013-02-13 17:33:56

I checked the fuse inside the power jack:  Fried.

I bought 250V 5 amp replacements.  Put them in and they instantly fried when I turned the amp on.

Any thoughts or advice?

by TheRealZap on 2013-02-13 18:07:55

mine had the tubes and a transformer replaced... you can always try tubes first as i can't be positive which one was the real fix...since i just farmed it out and don't know the first thing about working on them myself.

that and i think you're only supposed to use 2.5A in that fuse slot!!!

by PDKTDK on 2013-02-14 05:53:57

where can I get clarification of the required fuses?

by TheRealZap on 2013-02-14 05:58:00

the fuse you removed would have been the most definitive...

but from what i remember:

its a 239 fuse 2.5A, 250V slo-blo that goes in the power cord area...

the other exterior fuse has the specs written on the back of the unit...

but i'm going to guess that, that one didn't have any issues.

by PDKTDK on 2013-02-14 06:00:36

Radio Shack gave me a 5 and it fried (x2).  Can we presume it is more than a fuse at this point?

by TheRealZap on 2013-02-14 06:28:21

I would think that's a likely conclusion at this point. I'd seek out a service center.

you could always call L6 and plead your case... if they really are having a known issue with the transformers they might be willing to help...

by PDKTDK on 2013-02-14 06:32:09

Thanks for your help.  It couldn't be a tube issue at this point I assume?

My understanding is that it would still get some power to the unit if it was based on previous readings on this forum.

by TheRealZap on 2013-02-14 08:07:37

that would make sense, perhaps they just changed my tubes because of something else after they powered it on, or maybe it was a regular/preventative maintenance thing?

I

by PDKTDK on 2013-02-14 08:32:16

Thanks.

I bought the amp in October 11.  I didn't really start using it until about 3 months ago.

This is a total bummer.  Very disappointed.

I do appreciate your help.

by jeffwatt on 2013-02-14 10:48:34

Same thing began happening to me two months ago. Fortunately, I had a month left on my warranty, so I took it in for servicing. Diagnosis: failed power transformer.

by PDKTDK on 2013-02-14 10:54:05

I wouldn't mind a 3rd party alternative at this point for the part (power transformer).

My warranty is good.  I am booked to bring it in locally.

I really love the sound of the amp and the diversity.  I'm really attached to it! 

...and I'm also kind of pissed! 

by whiteop on 2013-02-20 06:29:14

Welcome to the Blown Power Transformer Club. Feel free to post your experience in my thread...:)

Bogner should have bought power transformers built in the USA and field tested his amps a little longer.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.