These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Relay Digital Wireless

Relay G90 XLR Output VS. 1/4" Jack Output Questions
by lartoil on 2013-02-21 17:36:37

Greetings

I've got a few questions.

I've owned the G90 for about 2 years now.

Since ownership, I've always noticed a considerable dip in signal gain when running the G90 Receiver Output from the 1/4" Jack, and it's been putting me off using the unit.

I've tried wiring up better 1/4" cables, that are shorter (as it's housed in a rack and running straight into an RJM RG16 about a foot away.

However, last night I tried running an XLR > 1/4", and using the XLR output, and bob's your uncle. The signal gain was perfect.

As far as I'm aware, and XLR Mic cable is a hotter signal than 1/4" instrument cable, hence why I tried it.

However, should this be happening? Is it possible the 1/4" Jack output has malfunctioned in some way?

Or is this perfectly normal. If so, I'll just wire up a good quality Neutrik Gold pin female XLR to Neutrik Gold 1/4" jack in balanced mono using Canare Mic Cable.

Is it fine to run XLR Mic cable to 1/4" Jack mono balanced?

Cheers

Re: Relay G90 XLR Output VS. 1/4" Jack Output Questions
by dboomer on 2013-02-22 11:15:47

Is it fine to run XLR Mic cable to 1/4" Jack mono balanced?

The output is the same level at either jack.  However if you are running from the balanced XLR jack to an unbalanced input then you will lose 6 dB over what you would get into a balanced input.  Our 1/4" jack is unbalanced.

Is your 1/4" input jack truely balanced ... in this case it would need to be a TRS jack.  This is usually not the case.  The RJR specs aren't very informative, but I'd guess thay are not balanced.

That said there is no technical problem either way you would like to run.

Re: Relay G90 XLR Output VS. 1/4" Jack Output Questions
by sdevino on 2013-02-28 08:36:13

I will add that the 1/4 and XLR outputs are individually buffered so it also reasonable to use both outputs at the same time. The 1/4 inch out is unballanced so as Don said, it will be 6 dB lower in level than the XLR out so you need a bit more gain for the same result.

Steve

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.