These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Acoustic models and drop tuning question
by pwik on 2013-02-22 05:46:31

I updated the firmware on my JTV89, and now when I select an acoustic guitar model and drop 1/2 step down, there seems to be a strange out of tune sound. It's almost like some notes are being produced in standard tuning along with the drop tuning. It only seems to be in the acoustic guitar models. The electric models are fine. I didn't notice this when I was demoing the guitar at the store (with original firmware). I am running a Line6 Spider IV 75 set to a clean amp model with no effects running. Anybody else have this issue? I suppose I could revert back to the previous firmware and see it still has the issue.

Re: Acoustic models and drop tuning question
by fstaunton on 2013-02-22 08:24:23

Are you monitoring your sound with earphones of some type?  If not, your ears will pick up the natural acoustic sounds from your guitar's standard tuning, especially when using lower volume acoustic models.  I always monitor with earphones at home to avoid the unpleasant dissonance between your guitar and the modeled alternate tuning.

Re: Acoustic models and drop tuning question
by TheRealZap on 2013-02-22 08:28:55

good advice, if that's not the case though, you might try re-flashing the update.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.