These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Any ideas for generating feedback on a quiet stage?
by fstaunton on 2013-02-22 06:10:59

I'm probably asking for the impossible here.  I play with a worship band on a totally quiet stage where there are no instrument amps, the drums are in a soundproof "room" and we are all using IEMs. The opportunity doesn't come up often, but occasionally I'd like to create some feedback as an ambient effect during a dynamic breakdown in a song.

I realize that feedback is the natural interaction between the sounds coming from a cranked guitar amp and the strings on the guitar.  But, has anyone figured out how to manufacture feedback in this environment?  I've tried using overdrives and compression hoping I could get something feedback from the mains, but its not happening.  Any ideas?

Re: Any ideas for generating feedback on a quiet stage?
by phil_m on 2013-02-22 06:17:58

The Fender Runaway was made to this. I don't know how well it works in real life, but the promo video seems somewhat promising.

by fstaunton on 2013-02-22 08:19:34

Thanks Phil.  Looks like a workable option. 

I'll look through the effects on the HD500 to see if there would be anything similar that I could use by controlling a parameter with the EXP1 expression pedal. I use an external expression pedal on EXP2 for volume.

by derwalkerhaus on 2013-02-22 09:32:41

The Boss Feedback/Booster works good as well...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FB2?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&gclid=COXh6tS4yrUCFUZV4AodZh4AkQ

Good">http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FB2?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&gclid=COXh6tS4yrUCFUZV4AodZh4AkQ">http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FB2?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&gclid=COXh6tS4yrUCFUZV4AodZh4AkQ

Goodluck,

Jon

by phil_m on 2013-02-22 09:43:02

Have you seen this video?

Check out at around 17:40. You can assign the tone or volume knob on the Variax to control almost any parameter on the HD500's effects. In the video, he has the tone knob set up to control mix on the Pitch Bend effect. I believe he has the pitch parameter set an octave up, and then when brings the mix up, it sounds something like feedback.

by fstaunton on 2013-02-22 10:22:57

Now that has potential!  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I'll give this a try with the tone knob or the EXP1 pedal.

I also like the possibilities with the Boss FB2 pedal.  "Ask and ye shall receive."  Thanks.

by adessmith on 2013-02-22 10:41:15

Depending on what you are wanting to do, maybe try an Ebow....
Keep in mind though, It probably only works with the magnetic pickups.

by phil_m on 2013-02-22 10:58:35

An Ebow will work on the modeled guitars, too. You do miss out on the pickup interaction you get with magnetic pickups, but you can still use it. Actually, it's a little easier to control the Ebow on the modeled guitars than with magnetic pickups.

by adessmith on 2013-02-22 11:07:54

I didnt realize that.

I used to own an ebow, and if you didnt have it pointing right at the pickups it just didnt work.
If it does in fact work on piezo pickups, it may be even more usable with the models than it is on regular magnetics.

by dchernov551 on 2013-02-22 13:08:56

Sounds interesting! I have an E-Bow and if it can work with the piezzo's, it's superb! And as for the feedback, the sound that the guys were getting with the Fender's feedback pedal can be made with the help of E-Bow from what I have personally tried. Plus to that, you can get this endless sustain and various types of sound from arpeggiated and spiccato to the different bowing techniques. One of the guitar additions that I am using all the time.

But make sure that you have the volume pedal available since it allows you to control the possible volume swells as you are looking for that sweet spot. Now I am wondering about playing in the models mode.

And off topic question: if I have a tremolo bar, then I can play even the acoustic guitar models with the tremolo and dive bombs? No? Hehe

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.