These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: StageScape M20d Mixer Community Support

possible inputs/channels to mixer
by Stryker57 on 2013-02-22 06:18:36

we are looking into the details of the m20d mixer for possibly our next mixer but i havent found answers to couple questions.

we like to record our practice/performances in one shot ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaRiJfs2apY   ) and this could be a nice mixer/recorder, so even if you cant go back and dub in tracks like a true recorder it would work for us.

1) how many possible true individual channels can you have?

I have read about all the possible inputs but want to be sure if you can actually use all of them individually at once in the mix.

the reason i ask is most manufactures advertise 16-20 channels and count stereo channels as 2 channels so a 16 channel board is really a 12.

so basicly if i have 12 low inpedence and 4- 1/4 mics i could use all individually in one mix.

2) i see how you can link 6 two L3t speakers together and use a mic in both mixers and be heard in both..

So if i have a link 6  system set up with a L3t as a monitor can you plug a mic into the L3t and send the signal to the board?

and if you can how many different mics can you do this with. It would be a nice feature if we had all L3t as monitors and be able to run the cord into the monitor in front of it, rather then snake it to the board.  even just 1 or 2 would be nice.

3) there is enough computer power in the mixer to actually run the 16 full channels with indvidual gates reverb delays and comps on all?

4) using the link 6 setup is it possible to run a sub in the monitors mix?

5) will there be in the future a bigger channel version or a addon extension pack to add more channels?

6) if i have read all correctly I could mic/line in 16 different things, mixer them seperately as we play, and record the 16 different tracks /waves individaully to a sd card which i could transfer to a PC with a Sonar etc type program for remixing?  

Thanks much for all the help

Re: possible inputs/channels to mixer
by ArneLine6 on 2013-02-22 13:23:09

1) how many possible true individual channels can you have?

I have read about all the possible inputs but want to be sure if you can actually use all of them individually at once in the mix.

the reason i ask is most manufactures advertise 16-20 channels and count stereo channels as 2 channels so a 16 channel board is really a 12.

so basicly if i have 12 low inpedence and 4- 1/4 mics i could use all individually in one mix.

The M20d has 16 separate inputs that can be configured in either mono or as stereo pairs. In addition there is a stereo only input (17/18) and the internal media player (19/20)

2) i see how you can link 6 two L3t speakers together and use a mic in both mixers and be heard in both..

So if i have a link 6  system set up with a L3t as a monitor can you plug a mic into the L3t and send the signal to the board?

and if you can how many different mics can you do this with. It would be a nice feature if we had all L3t as monitors and be able to run the cord into the monitor in front of it, rather then snake it to the board.  even just 1 or 2 would be nice.

It does not work that way. The microphones have to be plugged in to the mixer. Good idea though.

3) there is enough computer power in the mixer to actually run the 16 full channels with indvidual gates reverb delays and comps on all?

Absolutely. You can have 20 channels (inlcuding internal media player) with eq, compressor, feedback suppressor, dynamic eq, deesser, gates, HP filters and 4 global stereo  effects (delays, reverbs, chorus, doubler etc.) and eq, limiter, dynamics and filter in all outputs. No problem.

4) using the link 6 setup is it possible to run a sub in the monitors mix?

If you mean configuration where 1 monitor is a combination of a L3 and a sub you would use the analog out to go into the sub and from the sub you connect the top with line6 link. This way the crossover works correctly.

5) will there be in the future a bigger channel version or a addon extension pack to add more channels?

I can not really say something about this.

6) if i have read all correctly I could mic/line in 16 different things, mixer them seperately as we play, and record the 16 different tracks /waves individaully to a sd card which i could transfer to a PC with a Sonar etc type program for remixing?  

Correct.

by Stryker57 on 2013-02-22 14:53:49

ok Great ty much, where as i didnt think it would work plugging a mic into the L3t to get to the board,  figured it would be worth asking. using a aux out to run the sub for the drummer monitor is no big deal but its good to know in advance.

the stereo input (17/18) is this a rca,1/8" etc ? and i assume it can be assigned to a regular channel strip .

by Bill1329 on 2013-02-26 00:23:27

What in the world good is the media player? Why couldn't that be switched on record to be another input? Why would one want to record the 2-track mix as you went?

The mix is for later, when you can actually manipulate tracks for level, plug-ins, etc. and when you can actually hear what's on the tracks?

Very difficult live, with bass booming throughout the room - gives one a false idea of eq and reverb!

by Bill1329 on 2013-02-26 00:28:12

You could tie two cables together, 1 for getting to the monitor and 1 for getting into the M18d - too simple? I say M18d because inputs 19-20 are bogus!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.