These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Can I use POD Farm with zero latency?
by revnice on 2013-02-22 17:27:09

I have Sonar and the older MOTU Traveler interface.

I'd like to hear the effect and go down clean. If that's possible, could someone give me the steps?

Thanks - rev

Re: Can I use POD Farm with zero latency?
by TheRealZap on 2013-02-22 18:14:51

you need to use the standalone pod farm, but yes you can do it... don't know sonar enough to be any more specific.

by revnice on 2013-02-24 11:24:08

RealZap:

Thanks a million dude! Is the standalone installation just an option when you install or is it a totally different program?

I think I know what the deal is now. Looks like you get zero latency by not putting POD Farm into the host software track. You probably avoid the round trip and the time taken to process everything by (somehow) recording directly from the standalone version. I'll have to work on the 'somehow' - it's probably a question of routing it through the software that comes with my Traveler interface or something like that. If I get this right, it's going to change my life, I'll post back with the steps once I figure it out.

Thanks again! - rev

by TheRealZap on 2013-02-24 12:56:38

same program... use standalone when recording and performing.... and use the plugin to work on your mixes or change things after the fact.

by revnice on 2013-02-27 10:02:58

RealZap:

New info after reading and researching:

• "To run POD Farm 2 in standalone operation, it is required to have a Line 6 POD Studio™, TonePort™ or GuitarPort™ USB audio interface connected to your computer, and a POD Farm 2 license activated on the device." (from the POD Farm 2 manual) Presumably that means it only works with Line 6 interfaces?

• Standalone results in 'what you hear is what you get' (from a video tut on this site). Only good if you're happy with the chosen sound. Can't be changed later.

It seems to me that hearing the effect while recording clean can't be done without latency. If PF2 is used as a plug, you've got the round trip to consider, if it's used in standalone mode, you can't change the sound afterwards.

BTW: do you happen to know if licenses are transferable, maybe I could sell mine on at half price if it didn't suit me.

by TheRealZap on 2013-02-27 12:11:08

the notes you show don't take into account pod farm 2.5 which allows use with non-line6 interfaces.... and you can use standalone.

to maintain zero latency... record using the standalone for your monitoring... and you can record this... AND the dry track... which you can change with the plugin later.

you can 100% monitor wet and record dry.

the licenses can be transferred 1 time (also known as gifting...) the new owner, can pay you etc... but they cannot transfer/gift it to anyone else.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.