These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: StageScape M20d Mixer Community Support

M20d / SD card recording trouble
by pierrebriend on 2013-02-28 00:19:32

I got the M20d 3 weeks ago and took the time to read and "digest" the 150 pages of the Advanced Guide. I spent long hours and night playing and testing the system in my home studio. It is wonderful!

Yesterday, with a friend of mine, we tried unsuccessfully to have a recording session on SD card. I tested it a couple of days before with success, but yesterday, it failed. Some details :

- I followed the process described in the guide step by step, it is very simple. SD card directory was found, at each trial, a new recording was automatically found, but in reading mode NO SOUND. I spent a couple of hours looking for the origin of the trouble, without success. Checking the card on my computer, I found no wave files in the created directories....I was a bit disappointed, knowing that it previously worked and that time not. I'm pretty shure that there is a tricky software or hardware reason, and That I will or You will help me into my checking procedure.

What do you suggest? It is quite urgent, because tonight I will have my first Live trial as a soundman in a Jazz Club , and I already promised to the band to offer them the record files, then.....

Re: M20d / SD card recording trouble
by eukieb on 2013-02-28 14:32:29

Have you tried restoring the Board to the Factory settings, in other words clean off everything and start again.

by silverhead on 2013-02-28 14:48:39

Do you have sufficient free space on the SD card for the M20d to create/save the required WAV files? Have you tried using another  SD card (Class 10, FAT32 format)?

by pierrebriend on 2013-03-03 05:54:58

I did reload Factory settings after back up of course, on the SD card. The SD card is OK it is a 32Go quite empty. A few minutes ago, after reload of the back up, I tested recording in a new set-up, and then, it was recording!.. Yeah! One good point. Then I went back to my original "my home" set up, and it is sill not recording ... So this specific to this set, some options I took do block the recording. I want to understand to avoid this issue. Experienced Guies can you help? Thank you. I'm sorry but I understand only french, english and a bit german..'

by silverhead on 2013-03-03 16:25:13

I think that playback of the individual tracks/channels in a recording requires that you use the same Setup that was used to do the recording. In other words, if you Record using one Setup, then switch to a different Setup, your recording will not play back (because the different inputs used in the different Setups will not necessarily correspond).

by choffer74 on 2013-03-10 10:13:43

had the same issue today recording onto an SD card. Recorded using Inputs only (at the time there was only one channel) - levels FOH were fine, good level on the channel indicator.

Then when i loaded up the SD onto my laptop the file didnt have any sound - the file was 220mb. So the m20d is doing something, but there is a serious issue.

I'm also having trouble with the 20second quick capture. It just doesnt work - press the record button and it turns red then doesnt do anything else!!!

I love the desk but the recording functionality is currently pretty poor since the v1.1 firmware update.

Arnie/Dboomer - any comments about the recording capabilities on the desk? Surely there must be some firmware fixes coming very soon.

by ArneLine6 on 2013-03-10 12:33:29

When you press the Quick Capture record button it turns red and records. When you press play it plays the recorded loop (20seconds) through the channels it was recorded so you can do a virtual sound check. If the channel is turned down or muted you would not hear hear anything.

Concerning the SD card recording: The M20d creates 24bit/ 48kHz WAV files. Sometimes computer software does not play files when the settings are not correct. Which software are you using?

by choffer74 on 2013-03-10 13:02:43

Re the quick cacpture - i used the quick capture facilty before updating firmware. Now it doesnt work. I press the button, it turns red. Then press play and then nothing.

Regarding the SD card - i'm using audacity. However i've also tried playing the files through the m20d itself and still didnt hear anything (i added the file to the playlist, clicked on play and nothing)

I only used the record facilty a couple of times before upgrading firmware and it was a lot easier to use and far more robust.

by ArneLine6 on 2013-03-10 14:23:59

This sounds like it is maybe a hardware problem. Please contact customer service:

The US support team can be reached at 818-575-3600 (option 3), Mon-Fri 8am - 5 pm PST.

The UK support team can be reached at +44 (0) 1788 566 555, Mon-Thurs 9am – 5pm GMT and Fri 9am – 4pm GMT.

If you have a multitrack recording it should be played back in the multitrack recorder (press the "Record" button, locate the recording folder on the SD card, make sure there is a stage icon (channel) assigned to the track). The multitrack recordings are mono files. The media player plays stereo files.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.