These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Valve

Footswitch Available for Strymon SVpre
by nprenger on 2009-05-31 08:21:30

Has anybody else seen this yet? I think it's cool that somebody did it, but there are a few things that are less than ideal in my opinion:

1) It doesn't look like you can easily disconnect the switch from the amp. Once it's installed, it goes along for the ride for good.

2) The box that the switches are in looks like it's made of plastic. It might not take much of a stomp without breaking.

3) The way the 9V transformer is wired in looks a little suspect. The posting says you can use a battery, but do you then have to pull the chassis to replace the battery?

4) The switch doesn't look intuitive. If you're going to go to this much effort, why not have one switch each for green, yellow, orange, and red?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Footswitch-Mod-for-Line-6-Spider-Valve-w%2FStrymon-SVpre!_W0QQitemZ250430628781QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090524?IMSfp=TL090524149001r37593

http://mason.gmu.edu/~pbecker/svpre.html

All of this aside, kudos to Becker for getting the ball rolling.

nprenger

Re: Footswitch Available for Strymon SVpre
by cgtrox on 2009-05-31 11:29:32

Very cool! I think spaceatl or A7whiny is working on something like this.

cgtrox

by jeff5x0 on 2009-05-31 20:20:27

I agree, very cool. But I think $99, with $15 shipping is a tad pricey.

by pbecker314 on 2009-06-03 12:05:46

All;

Thanks for the interest...just a quick response:

1) It doesn't look like you can easily disconnect the switch from the amp. Once it's installed, it goes along for the ride for good.

Yes, this is true.  I did it that way because it's actually very easy to transport the cable/floorbox (just roll up the cable and pop it and the floorbox inside my amp before/after the show).  Also, I didn't like the idea that the cable might accidentally get disconnected, or the possibility of a bad connection in the jack/plug region if one were to plug the cable into the relay box.  Moreover, it's not necessary to remove the cable anyway, so simplicity and reliability won out in my view.

2) The box that the switches are in looks like it's made of plastic. It might not take much of a stomp without breaking.

Yes, the box is made of plastic, but it's rather thick ABS plastic and quite sturdy.  It's holding up to gigging remarkably well -- not even a scratch on it, though naturally I don't abuse it.

3) The way the 9V transformer is wired in looks a little suspect. The posting says you can use a battery, but do you then have to pull the chassis to replace the battery?

The transformer or battery work equally well.  I use a battery in the kits I ship out because that way it works anywhere in the world, without worries about the local electrical specs.  However it is very easy to wire in an AC adapter in place of the battery, the only issue is to ensure the polarity is correct for proper function.  By the way, the power system is quite robust, for example there is no hum in the system because of the heavy-duty grounding loop that is connected to the SV chassis.

4) The switch doesn't look intuitive. If you're going to go to this much effort, why not have one switch each for green, yellow, orange, and red?

I thought about many possibilities, but decided to just go with two footswitches, one for DIP #1 and the other for DIP #2.  It's completely clear which mode you're in at all times because of the colored LEDs on the floorbox.  I've been loving it!  The system is simple and reliable, and it provides complete control, which is what I was after.

5) $99 price for the kit plus $15 shipping.

The $99 price for the kit reflects the significant amout of my time that goes into hand-wiring each system, and the parts, which aren't especially cheap since I use 100% heavy-duty components, like the control cable for example, which is top quality and rated at 300 volts.  I believe in overkill whenever practical!

Cheers,

Pete

by Jcortez on 2009-06-03 12:42:28

Hey pbecker you just keep making those and as soon as I get my SVpre in December(warranty) I will be getting you that $99!

by Jocephus on 2009-06-26 08:31:20

Well they should hurry - lol

This footswitch looks like it would work just fine, but I share the same concerns with its caveats.

Ever left a pedal on and killed the battery? That would be a cool feeling right before a gig..

I also don't care for that umbilical cord.

But - the pedal layout is right on the money - and looks like it would be operated the same way as the manual switches some of you have put on the back of the SV.

I'd like to see those manual switches on the back of the amp converted to either 1/4" mono or TRS jacks that are compatible with general purpose channel switching 1/4" footswitches - like the BOSS FS-6, Vox, TC Electronics (G Major) or even that little box called FootSim that is MIDI controlled. (http://www.soundsculpture.com/products/pt_footsim.htm)

Is that type of conversion possible?

by pbecker314 on 2009-06-26 08:49:46

Hi, I've sold several of the battery-powered footswitch kits so far, and users seems to like them a lot.

I am now selling the battery-powered kit via Ebay for $99 including free shipping inside the US.

Users can easily adapt the battery-powered kit to be powered by a 9-volt AC adapter located inside the amp chassis, which eliminates battery worries.  The control cable is heavy-duty rated at 300 volts, extremely reliable.  Been using my footswitch system for about 3 months without any problems.

If interested, you can email me directly at pbecker@gmu.edu

Pete

by pbecker314 on 2009-06-26 11:06:47

UPDATE:

I am also selling a complete kit that INCLUDES the 9-volt AC adapter via Ebay or PayPal for $119 including free shipping inside the US.

Installation is only slightly more complicated than for the battery-powered kit, because you need to connect the adapter to the AC mains inside the amp chassis.  This is the kit that I am using in my amp, and it's working fine, with no battery replacement worries.  NOTE: I can only ship the AC-powered kit inside the US due to potential problems with the local electrical specs in other countries.

Contact me at pbecker@gmu.edu if interested.

Pete

by Daniel-Ganfield on 2009-06-26 13:02:33

Have any of you purchased, installed, and used this footswitch yet?  I would like to hear some reviews from customers (happy or otherwise) telling us how well this thing works.

by Daniel-Ganfield on 2009-06-26 13:04:39

Ok Strymon, is it time to produce your own switch?

by strymon on 2009-06-26 13:58:43

While I can't talk specifically about new products. I can say that we do have a number of things in the works

I'm flattered that Pete Becker, who is a professor of Astrophysics, enjoyed his SVpre so much that he decided to make an accessory for it. That said, one of our original goals in designing the SVpre was to not require a user to drill holes in their amp to install it. For that reason we designed the push modes to be a "set and forget" proposition. We have definitely received some requests from our customers for the ability to access the push modes from outside of their amp and we respect the effort that Pete has put into his footswitch design, however, I do believe that a more elegant solution is possible ...   I'll leave it at that for now. I can say that in any case, we would do our very best to make sure that current SVpre owners would not be left in the cold.

Terry

Strymon Engineering

http://www.strymon.net/

by cgtrox on 2009-06-26 14:45:20

Awwwwww yeah!

cgtrox

by Daniel-Ganfield on 2009-06-26 16:56:10

What I would like to see is a pedal where you hit one switch for each of the push modes.  Push the switch to get the push mode that you want directly without thinking and a colored light that comes on to match the push mode:  white for stock, yellow for yellow, orange for orange, and red for red.

by pbecker314 on 2009-06-26 21:28:55

I'm thankful to Terry Strymon for taking the time to post a comment about my relay control system.  I love having his board in my SV212, and being able to control the push level remotely is just the icing on the cake.  I designed and built the relay control system for my own use, never intended to sell it, but I got inquiries as soon as I posted my description, so now I find myself building about two systems a week.  They take time -- about 4 hours to hand wire and test from start to finish, you'd probably be surprised at the number of solder points required.  I never claimed that it was the most sophisticated control system, and it would certainly be nice to have separate switches and LEDs for the 4 modes.  However, without using solid state logic, that would be extremely complicated to wire up.  So I took the opposite approach -- my system is probably the simplest possible design that still gives you complete remote control over the push level of Terry's board.  That's all there is to it.  Personally, I like simple systems because they're usually more reliable and less expensive.  So while others are waiting for the "perfect" solution, which would be great, I'm happily footswitching away during live performance.  With footswitch control of the gain level, I find myself rarely using external distortion boxes anymore, because Terry's board just blows them all away.  In my opinion, the fidelity of his board in the pushed modes is totally beyond what you can achieve with practically any external distortion or overdrive box.  You get everything, both gain and fantastic note articulation, but without any muddiness.

Pete

by Jocephus on 2009-06-27 01:13:51

How many wires are being used in the 8 foot trunk?

Is it possible to simply drop the trunk for TRS jacks?

What about replacing the phantom switch for a 9vdc female barrel input?

From there, I'd be responsible for the signal cable and power adapter.

Your thoughts?

by pbecker314 on 2009-06-27 06:47:20

There are 4 conductors being used in the 8' control cable.  Hence a TRS arrangement wouldn't have enough circuits.  Besides, the control cable is really not an issue, at least for me, since I just roll it up and pop it and the floorbox into the back of the amp between shows.  I actually like the fact that the cable is soldered on both ends because there are no worries about bad contacts inside the TRS jack, or accidental disconnects.

However your idea about the 9-volt power jack is potentially a good one.  I didn't do it that way in my installation because I didn't want an extra wall wart to worry about.  So in my SV212, the AC adapter is located inside the amp chassis, right next to where the AC mains come in from the external power cable.  The 9-volt power is controlled by a mini toggle, but I generally just leave it turned on all the time.  The 9v power runs across the chassis to the relay box on the other side, located next to Terry Strymon's board.  This way the DIP control wires only have to be about 6" long to reach the board.  There is a hole drilled under the relay box to accommodate the control cable.  There is also a heavy gauge ground wire (which eliminates hum) that gets installed under one of the SV's PC board screws, just like with Terry's board.

Anyway, to summarize, while I could easily build a system with a standard jack for the 9-volt adapter, it would mean that you need to constantly remember to plug in an extra wall wart, whereas when the adapter is internal, everything is much more convenient, and it's literally plug-and-play, like a built-in component of the amp.

Pete

by Jocephus on 2009-06-27 10:38:59

I like the 9v idea - even if the connector simply hung from under the chassis.

Adding another wart to my rack and 2 more standard 1/4" cables to my floor snake isn't really a big deal for me.

My angle is modularity. Tucking a footswitch in the floorbox of an SV combo is not exactly convenient for 3/4 closed backs - and is especially not ideal for the SV HD100, where a floorbox doesn't even exist.

By the way, do you foresee any issues with your solution working in the HD100?

Also, what's the default setting of the svPre in event the footswitch is off ?

by pbecker314 on 2009-06-28 10:16:10

Hmmm, that's a good point, I was thinking in terms of open-back combos.  Should have been more open-minded about that... :-)

Yes, I could build a system with detachable control cable and detachable 9-volt power.  No problems, just a little extra time.

The control system definitely works in the SV head as well as the SV112 and 212 combos.

By the way, I'm not doing this to get rich or to rip people off.  In fact it's more like a labor of love, when you consider the purchase price, component expenses, and the amount of my time it takes to hand-build these.  I also offer a 7-day return policy, in which case you would only be liable for the return shipping, which is not much.

Pete

by Jocephus on 2009-06-29 19:45:23

A labor of love - that's for sure!

To avoid any potential damage, would you be able to get it down to a single cable with a unique connector - like maybe an XLR5?

by pbecker314 on 2009-06-30 06:44:11

Sure, I guess I can design the cable connect just about any way you want. If interested, we can work out the details off-line, pbecker@gmu.edu

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2009-07-03 05:45:14

Cool Product BTW!

One thing I noticed is that the "Relay Box" is mounted in a space that is not available on an SV 112. SV PCB And original input jack.jpg

by pbecker314 on 2009-07-03 06:59:17

I know a couple of people who have done the installation on an SV112 but I don't have photos of how they positioned the relay box inside the chassis. Apparently it is doable though. By the way, just shipped out my first AC-powered system yesterday (see photo). I am selling them through Ebay for $119 including free US shipping and 7-day return.

Pete

by Vettaville-nl on 2009-07-03 08:35:40

Hi Looney,

I've bought the Footswitch mod and have experienced excellent info from Pete and experience with it. You can install it in the 112 as I did, I've placed with a little steel holder just behind the knobs on the inside. This way it can't move anywhere.  The wire for the footswitch itself I've run through the hole where also the white connectore and wire come out at the bottom of the chassis. This way you can close it up again.

I'll see if I can open it up again and take some picture, since they tell more then a thousand words..

Kind regards

Hans

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.