These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: StageSource Speaker Community Support

Considering StageSource L2t for solo gigs
by robmartino on 2013-03-05 09:15:04

Hi all,

For the past couple years I've been using a POD HD500 and Fishman SA220 Soloamp for all my solo Chapman Stick gigs, which generally has been a nice setup but there are times I wish I had a bit more low end (the Fishman rolls off below 80Hz and is prone to occassional cabinet rattle at higher volumes).  I've been looking at the L2t as another lightweight option that can function as a PA behind me in small spaces or a monitor at larger venues when I can plug into a bigger house system.  It also seems ideal if I later want to add an L2m for a stereo setup.

I typically play for small crowds, say in the 20-100 range, so I don't need a ton of volume, but solid presence and wide sound field along the whole frequency range is important (my lowest note is a bass E, but since it's solo music, I'm after a more balanced sound rather than providing heavy bass, perhaps equivalent to a keyboard).  The L2t looks like it will go lower than the Fishman but I wanted to see if anyone has tried one of these with a full range instrument like a keyboard setup.

One nice aspect of the Fishman is that I can just plug straight in the two channels (bass and treble are separate pickups) if I don't want effects, and use the built-in EQ and reverb.  The L2t seems to offer similar functionality although I notice the input impedance is a lot lower if I'm reading the specs correctly (2.63 kΩ vs. the Fishman's 10 MΩ), would that not be ideal for passive electric pickups?

Thanks,

Rob

http://robmartino.com

Re: Considering StageSource L2t for solo gigs
by dboomer on 2013-03-06 09:51:18

I notice the input impedance is a lot lower if I'm reading the specs correctly (2.63 kΩ vs. the Fishman's 10 MΩ), would that not be ideal for passive electric pickups?

Hey Rob

Input impedance is always a trade-off between "tone" and "noise".  Too high and it's noisy, too low and you lose a little bass response.  No matter what you do you will suffer a little of both (nothing is perfect).  Generally you'd like to shoot for a 10:1 ratio between the output impedance of the instrument and the input impedance of the preamp.  But you are still OK at 1:1.

The 2k input is for balanced mic inputs.  The 1/4" jack has an input impedance of 100k which should be just fine for nearly every passive magnetic pickup out there.  It's also fine for the output from instruments with a built-in preamp and for things like synths and drum machines.  It could make a slight tonal change  to some piezo pickups as they have very high capacative outputs.  But remember ... the variax modeling is built-in and that should far surpass the sound quality from piezo pickups anyway.

Re: Considering StageSource L2t for solo gigs
by robmartino on 2013-03-06 11:21:30

Thanks dboomer! I decided to go ahead and order an L2t today, look forward to trying it out, seems like it will cover just about everything I would need for live sound at this point.

Rob

http://robmartino.com

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.