These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

HD500, Tech 21 Power engine 60 and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, One will have leave!!!
by fmarinheiro on 2013-03-10 06:01:41

Hi fellows,

Quick question, i have both a Tech 21 Power engine 60 and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and one, will have to leave.

The power engine was more like a GAS.

I'm not completely satisfied with the sound i get with neither of them, but have to admit that i have not spend much time tweaking.

Which one would you choose to stay?

What would be the best to keep around?

I now it's a very subjective topic but i would like to ear some opinions of someone who might have more knowledge than me.

I love the really love the  Hot Rod have it for almost 4 years but god, i't so difficult to get that amp sims to sound right.

Thank you all in advance for any help/advice you can give me.

cheers.

Re: HD500, Tech 21 Power engine 60 and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, One will have leave!!!
by chagmaier on 2013-03-10 12:40:49

I recently got an HD500 and a power engine 60.  I LOVE the tone I am getting.  I have a Vox Tonelab LE, and and Eleven Rack, nothing compares to the tone I get from the HD500/Power Engine combo.  While playing this morning, I really had a hard time believing there were no tubes in there!  I think the reason for my sucess is all in the I/O settings.  Output is set to Combo Power Amp, input 2 is set to Variax.  1/4" level is set to line.  My own patch consists of the P75 brt pre into a 1x12 blue bell cab.  I chose the 1x12 to align the sound closer to the Power Engine.  I would suggest you start with the Song Style set list and go through the straight amp tones at the end of the list.  Modify them to be pre models...then tweak from there.  My suggestion for the Fender amp, is to disable all amp/cab modelling and use the hd500 as fx only.  That should let you utilize the Fender as it was designed!  My only complaint is the inability to configure the outputs differently.  I would love to run a W/D along with my AC15.

Re: HD500, Tech 21 Power engine 60 and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, One will have leave!!!
by jimsreynolds on 2013-03-10 13:08:53

Daniel, I don't know what that post is all about but - to everyone else - I would personally give that site a wide berth.  It looks dodgy to me.  

fmarinheiro - tough call.  On paper the Tech21 is probably the more versatile of the two amps but I would personally give serious consideration to hanging onto the Deluxe.  The tubes should do a good job of warming up your tones if you plug direct into the Power Amp In from the Pod 1/4" Out.  

It really depends on whether the tones that come from the Deluxe power stage is  the kind of tone that you are looking for. 

Message was edited by: jimsreynolds 14/3/2013   ... for clarity:  my post here refers to a post that has since been deleted.  It has a link to another site that just didn't look safe.  I am not going mad .

by partytrain on 2013-03-10 14:21:23

I've been using a PE for my modeling for years.  Up until recently it has been for an Xt, but now I'm switching off between an HD500 and a Zoom G5.  The PE has been a beast for me for years, I wouldn't consider plugging my hd500 into anything else.....Unless the G.A.S. gets the best of me and I end up with a DT25.

by jstock1 on 2013-03-19 15:12:23

Flip what a choice! do you really have to make that choice?

I have both a tube amp and a PE. I tend to use the 'real' amp for the bigger gigs and the PE \Pod for the small venues where set up is difficult and I need to lose the volume without compromising too much on tone. 

I used  POD (x3 and HD) exclusively on the circuit for years into a PE or direct to the PA but it has to be said there is something special about a tube amp. Sot if you can get the Hot Rod to work with the POD then I would keep that.

PE tend to go for a decent price on Ebay as long as you advertise them properly.

Alternative: Sell em both and get a DT25?

by joemama78 on 2013-03-20 08:28:56

I was using a Hot Rod Deluxe before I got my POD. I ran a Fulltone Fulldrive into it with the amp set clean. Using a bassman on the POD I have been able to create a pretty good facsimile of my live rig while going silent on stage.

I plan to keep the HRD (but I'm trying to sell off my Blackheart; I don't need a POD and 2 amps), but I am happy with the sound I get out of the POD.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.