Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD POD500x studio direct to front of amp

Metallpt147

Hey what's up guys. Just wondering what you're input is on setting up the pod hd500x on studio direct, 1/4th set to amp while going into the front of an amp (basically without using the 4 cable method so I'll be using amp n cab sims). In my case I use a crate amp and when I do that I honestly think it sounds BEAST!. I know it's the "wrong" way to do it but I think it sounds good. I can get almost the same tone putting it in combo front with setting mids too 100khz and highs and lows to flat. Anybody else notice this as well or no?

I know you are going to love this answer - there is no wrong way "if" it sounds good to you.

For going into the front of a combo I will go between s-direct and combo/stack. The flatter the amp, usually a SS, the better response I hear out of s-direct using the line in of the fx loop. Its a toss up with going in the front - combo/stack tends to limit the cab modeling (to me) where I hear more going s-direct.

You are on the right path too utilizing the EQs to fine tune - you may find that you will start to do that per different type of amp unless you go to a Flat Range / Flat Response (FRFR) one.

-B

• Upvote 3

I also always use studio / direct option, for me, is the most transparent option but I use my HD500x as a "digital pedalboard" no amps no cabs sims, only effects. 

If you plan to use amp sims, I suggest you connect the HD to the return of your amp, and turn off the sims cabs in HD.....try it, maybe it can improve your sound   :)  ;)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

awesome answers guys thanks! the thing is that I don't like my amps distortion so using it with no amp or cab sings would be atrocious lmao..my amps distortion is fuzzy as hell and not heavy in any way. i just noticed that when i have it in studio direct on the settings and on the little switch that says "line" and "amp" on the right side i have it set to amp (all doing this withOUT using the fx look but just connecting my amp from guitar to hd500x then L mono 1/4" out to front input of the amp. i know you said there is no WRONG way but for some reason people always say to use the line in of the FX loop but i don't do that so technically its "wrong" right?

If you can dial in a tone you like then that's all that matters. The point of not using studio direct is so you don't virtually end up having a cabinet being miced, going into another cabinet.

If your real cabinet doesn't cut frequencies much then you can get away with using direct/studio, otherwise there's a possibility of cutting too much high end and making it sound muddy.

Sound is completely subjective though.

On the rare occasion that I'm not running D.I. only, I will connect the line level 1/4" output to the return of my Carvin AG100D Acoustic Amp. 
I have globally set my HD500X to Mono so it doesn't matter which of the 1/4" jacks I use.

As an acoustic amp, while it's not completely a FRFR amp, it's better than running just into another guitar amp, and by going through the return, I'm really only hitting the power amp section of the amp.

• Upvote 1