Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax and HD500 Inputs

Hi- I've got a JTV-59. I really really like this guitar. I've also got an HD500.

I've had the Vari for a few years but I still have gigs where I can't get it to sound right.

I'm curious about the inputs on the HD500 and I really wanted to talk with other HD500 owner to see if I'm doing things right.

I use it with a Bose system. The acoustics sound great and the electrics are still a work in progress. But I think I need a reality check:

The inputs on the HD 500 are set

1) Variax

2) Guitar

I've got the HD500 set to Studio mode,

The only thing I notice that I'm not digging is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of warmth in the electric guitars.

Is there someone that might be able to tell me if I've got it set correctly? thank you!

I got a 69s thinking I could it live but have never been happy with the electric guitars either. I don't use a HD500 I do have a POD but the tones need so much work. To wet with XFs. I found that what sounds good in your house by it's self does not translate to a live or stage environment. I went back to 1.9 which made the elec. a little more usable.  When doing a comparison between the 69s and my real guitars through a straight amp/no XFs the difference was night and day. 

• Downvote 1

The thing I find is that I'm having a tough time getting enough bottom end into the sound. The acoustics have a TON of bottom end. The electrics, not so much. I will keep dialing things in I guess and hope that I can work it out.

??????   My JTV69S has plenty of bottom end on most of the electric models.  The Tele and Les Paul have more bottom end than I think they should have.  The strat is about right.  Try adjusting things with WB.  You can make things completely different by fooling with pickups, pickup positions, etc.  I personally like most of the models just as they are. (Latest HD FW)

I have not tried this. I was trying to get that Beatles vibe, so I've been using the Gretsch types of guitars with Vox types of amp models.

I'm able to get REALLY close, but there's a 'thinness' there that's maddenning to try and figure out. I have put an "eq pedal" at the beginning of the chain, and that helps, but I want more of that warmness.  I suppose I could just try another amp (and I have) but I'm really trying to get it as authentic as possible.

I found that my guitar tones (especially clean ones) get fuller if I set the initial effect to produce a solid output signal with a peak level not exceeding -12dBFS. For example, using my JTV-69 this means that I need to raise the level by 9dB for a Spank 4 and not at all for for Lester 1 playing single not lines.

Listening to pure guitar sounds (no effects & no amp) is very educational and good advice to get a feeling on whether the selected amp will actually get in the way or help to get where you want to be sound-wise.

Martin