Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looking for a graphtech nut for my 600. Please help

Get one made for a strat.

I ordered this last night after measuring as best as I can.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111440272857?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Radius seems kinda rounder than the current nut so I ordered fret files in case I need to make the slots deeper.

Hopefully I can FINALLY use my tremolo, ordered graphtech stringe trees as well. Wish me luck guys!

I ordered this last night after measuring as best as I can.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111440272857?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Radius seems kinda rounder than the current nut so I ordered fret files in case I need to make the slots deeper.

Hopefully I can FINALLY use my tremolo, ordered graphtech stringe trees as well. Wish me luck guys!

Hi clay-man,

I've been down this road. The TUSQ will definitely improve your situation. Trees may also, but I don't use those on mine. The curve may affect playability slightly, but I didn't use slot files on mine either.

Remove the original nut and get the TUSQ nut alongside so you can see exactly what needs to be sanded away so it's the same dimensions. Not externally, but to the depth of of the original slots. The TUSQ barely has any depth to the slots - I personally like this, as there's even less surface area to "grab" the string - although I'm sure there are those who would say this a moot point.

It's up to you on where to take the meat off, but I reckon filing perfect slots would be harder than taking the meat off the underside of the nut so it sits down lower. You'll also need to sand the ends to be the correct length.

The other part of the equation for me was a no-brainer when I pulled out the LRBaggs bridge at some point (I think I was giving the 600 a good clean one time with all the strings off), and noticed how badly worn the pivot points were.

The only way around this (which I feel to be the the bigger problem) on a 600 is to either replace the Baggs with another higher quality two post system, or ideally the 6 screw "Strat" type.

I did the entire transplant thing (as I've already mentioned in this forum), and don't miss the 600 body/neck at all.

Here are some pics.

Good luck.

Ian.

post-863899-0-16910700-1414197794_thumb.jpg

post-863899-0-61604400-1414197900_thumb.jpg

I just changed my strings and I'm not looking into changing my bridge. If this doesn't help tuning stability then I'm just going to have to live with not using a tremolo until I upgrade to a JTV.

Thank you for the help though. Should I sand the top if it's too curved?

Make the middle slots deeper and sand the top flat?

fender  makes  a very  nice  roller  nut.  avalable  on ebay as well

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-099-0812-000-LSR-Roller-Nut-Brushed-Chrome-/361053823873?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item54107c2381

Thanks but I've already ordered, if things go bad I'll check that out if I ruin this nut. Chances are that I wont though.

well in case  you  do decide  to change  it for  one  of   the  roller  nuts   its  a big  more   work but well  worth   it. i have  one on my strat . good stuff   always  in tune no matter  what i  do with the trem.  anyhow  good  luck with the  other  one.