Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

programming JTV sounds with HD500X

kenmac1

I had no problem getting the original Variax to work with the HD500x.  However it is not working the same way with my JTVs.

First problem, how do I set a patch so that instead of using the Emulated sounds via the piezos, it will automatically switch to the mag pickups?   

I still use the emulations for acoustic, sitar and 12 string stuff, but on standard electric guitar stuff I would prefer to use real pickups, and I can't see those in the drop-down menu inside the mixer of the HD interface program.

Next I have changed all the settings in my patches to (supposedly) recognise my 69 + 89 JTVs, however while the amp / fx settings do change, the guitar sounds (ie 12 string, Acoustic...) remain the same.  What am I missing here?

Cheers guys.

...First problem, how do I set a patch so that instead of using the Emulated sounds via the piezos, it will automatically switch to the mag pickups?

ANSWER: set input 1/2 = variax mags on the INPUTS menu of the "hd 500x edit" s/w.

...Next I have changed all the settings in my patches to (supposedly) recognise my 69 + 89 JTVs, however while the amp / fx settings do change, the guitar sounds (ie 12 string, Acoustic...) remain the same....

ANSWER: on the jtv/variax screen of "hd500x edit", chage the model from "Don't Force" 2 whatever model u want the preset 2 work with 'n save the preset. IMPORTANT: make sure the jtv modeling is on when saving the preset (this is controlled by pressing the jtv model selector switch 'n ensuring the "model-selector-switch-knob-light" is on).

I meant without me me physically toggling knobs as well as footswitches.

Can patches definitely store mag settings and then by changing to another patch go automatically to an emulated sound?  I seem to be stuck with one or the other.

r u using vdi?

Yeah, with a VDI cable it should work just fine. Choose the model you want in the patch within HD edit, hit save and you're done. If you want just the mag pups on the patch turn off the modelling on the JTV and hit save.

• Upvote 1

I am using a VDI.

I have tried all of the above, but for some reason it will not go back and forth patch by patch from mags / crunch guitar tones, to say an acoustic clean tone.  
Can't find any demo videos about it on youtube, and I was sure there would be some up.   I might have to drive up the the city next week and see if one of the guitar stores has any clue, although I doubt it.  Just hope I am not in for another drama where either my guitar is not working right with the amp, or the amp is not working right with the guitar.   I seem to have constant dramas with Line 6 gear, so this is just parre for the course.

There may be something wrong with your JTV.  I hate to mention it but a reflash may correct the issue.  I use my HD500X to swap modeling patches, combine acoustic with the mag pickups and use the volume switch and dual amps to switch seamlessly between acoustic and electric distorted guitar.  I also have patches that will switch between the Sitar and a clean sound with the mag pickups.

Are you using workbench? 

I tried this on my other HD500X, and it worked, so I did a system reset on the first one, and now it is working the way it is meant to.  Now I know why I bought a second JTV and a second HD.  They do silly things at times, and if this happened at a gig, I would now waste 10 hours trying to work it out, I'd just switch guitars / HDs and keep going.  

Lefty, that combining acoustic and Mags sounds interesting.  I have a couple country / crossover tunes that would sound pretty cool on.  MIght be my next project, working out how to get that working.  But it is after midnight now, and since I didn't have a gig tonight, there is no reason for me to still be sitting here.

Thanks for the advice rockers.

• 10 months later...

Hi family, I'm beyond my scope of expertise and I need your help please. I need a very realistic acoustic patch for an HD500x using a jtv69. I have to cover the song,

Don't Blink by Kenny Chesney

and I'm having a hell of a time trying to make the acoustic models sparkle and sound real. I've read and

seen all the line 6 videos on acoustic patches and they sound good but they are running through studio boards and monitors, I'm a performing musician, I'm coming

through amps. My current setup is the JTV 69, HD500x, and 2 Fender Twin amps run in stereo. I'm running the HD500x into the effect return of the Twins to bypass

the preamps and the compression and coloring they add. Is there a wide range amp that's suitable for acoustic guitars in the amp drop down menu of the HD500x or

is there a wide range speaker cab in the menu that I can use to create a realistic acoustic sound when run through my amps similar to the sound on the intro of the

record? or can anyone steer me to some really good sounding acoustic patches designed to be run through clean amps using the JTV modeling and the HD500x.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance,

Lauren

. My current setup is the JTV 69, HD500x, and 2 Fender Twin amps run in stereo. 

Hi, I think the main issue is the amps. They are not designed to sound good with acoustics, whether real acoustics or a JTV :) 

You should try to directly to PA with your acoustic signal, this could be done in several ways with the HD500x. I'm not familiar with using real amps together with the HD myself, so I'll let someone else chime in on that.

I would have sendt the acoustic signal out the FX loop to the PA, but this might already be taken in your setup.

My current setup is the JTV 69, HD500x, and 2 Fender Twin amps run in stereo. 

I agree with doffe. You need to set the global output setting to "Studio/Direct" found on page 4 of the setup page (hold down the view button to get into setup). Then use either your balanced or unbalanced outs to an FRFR system like a PA. 

Thanks Doffe, that's a good idea if I can route channel A with the acoustic signal to the effects loop and the loop out to the board and channel B with the electric guitar effects chain to my amps with a panner to select which channel I'm playing. Sometimes I'll switch back and forth from acoustic to electric several times in a song and I don't like the sound of the pedal being run directly to the board in a live setting for electric guitar work, no offense. I guess I'm ole school but to me simulator run direct don't sound as good as when you have your amps dialed into their sweet spot and those speakers are pushing air. I know guitar amps are not designed to accurately reproduce acoustic guitars because they are not full range acoustic amps. Thats's why I'm not running into the front or pre amp of the amps, I'm running into the effects return to bypass the preamps and just using the power amp section and the speakers. I'm actually using the HD500x as my preamp to more accurately reproduce the acoustics. I like your idea, I'm going to try it. Thanks. L

CipherHost I agree, and will try running the acoustic to the front of House, imho full range flat response is great in the studio but live it lacks the character of guitar amps for amplifying electric guitars. There's a reason why you tour with Marshall's or Fender's, or Boogie's, a Vox AC30 or Matchless. Each amp has it's own unique character and tone and at the end of the day, tone is what it's all about. I can definitely see the practicality of FRFR if you're doing club gigs, House of Blues, Hard Rock etc. but that's not my situation. There's a reason why you don't see them used on concerts yet. They're good and they've come along way but I think they need to be developed a little more. I'm sure they will get there, but I think it'll be a while before they replace guitar amps. 

Hey, check out Greg Howe's new Carvin amp called the Marigold and tell me what you think. Peace! L

CipherHost I agree, and will try running the acoustic to the front of House, imho full range flat response is great in the studio but live it lacks the character of guitar amps for amplifying electric guitars. There's a reason why you tour with Marshall's or Fender's, or Boogie's, a Vox AC30 or Matchless. Each amp has it's own unique character and tone and at the end of the day, tone is what it's all about. I can definitely see the practicality of FRFR if you're doing club gigs, House of Blues, Hard Rock etc. but that's not my situation. There's a reason why you don't see them used on concerts yet. They're good and they've come along way but I think they need to be developed a little more. I'm sure they will get there, but I think it'll be a while before they replace guitar amps. 

Hey, check out Greg Howe's new Carvin amp called the Marigold and tell me what you think. Peace! L

blessed1, I agree with you as well. I get something from a tube amp I don't get from FRFR. Maybe it's just in my head, but that is where my ears are. :)

You can have the best of both worlds if you wish. I have been experimenting for a while. Another forum member posted something today that made things much simpler for me. I can run my electrics out to my tube amps and my acoustics out to FRFR speakers with the click of a footswitch (or maybe even by rocking the expression pedal back and forth within a patch, still working on that). Here is the link to the posts I am refering to. Maybe it will help you for your situation.

http://line6.com/support/topic/1395-difference-between-hd500-and-hd500x/?p=113259

Let me know how it works out for you if you implement this.

Greg's gear looks pretty sweet. He is an awesome talent.

Edited by CipherHost

Thanks CipherHost, I appreciate the link. You and I are thinking alike. That's exactly what I'm wanting to do, run the the acoustic to FOH on one channel and the electric to my amp on the other channel within the same patch and use the pedal to switch between the channels. I wish Line 6 would offer the functionally to change guitars with each patch for wireless, a lot of us don't use cables anymore especially when you have a lot of stage to cover. Thanks again for the help brother.

FYI, If you're into guitar synths or composing, Fishman just came out with a wireless midi controller that can be used on any guitar, It's called the Triple Play. It comes with notation and recording software. All you do is play and it automatically prints out what you just played in musical notation or tab. Saves a lot time from having to chart by hand.

Peace! L

Thanks CipherHost, I appreciate the link. You and I are thinking alike. That's exactly what I'm wanting to do, run the the acoustic to FOH on one channel and the electric to my amp on the other channel within the same patch and use the pedal to switch between the channels. I wish Line 6 would offer the functionally to change guitars with each patch for wireless, a lot of us don't use cables anymore especially when you have a lot of stage to cover. Thanks again for the help brother.

This was the same as I did try to explain in my answer, but I can see my answer isn't so clear.  :D

I think the most guitarist using a JTV and a POD with amps have found the acoustic signal to be best with directly to PA. And of course, still use the electric guitar as before (to amps)

There are several ways to setup this, but if you are like me I would like to have a option for both signals - electric via magnetic PU's to amps and acoustic to PA. Then you can set up a dedicated volume pedal for the acoustic to PA path. And have the 500x volume pedal to control the electric volume.

This way, you can only rock your volume pedal if you want to add some acoustic sounds to your electric signal. And the other way around.

Yeah Doffe, I got that from your first answer. It seems we're all on the same page. Correct me if I'm wrong your application allows you to play both electric and acoustic simultaneously, I like that too. I'm going to try your application on a couple of patches also because we have some songs where it would definitely sound fatter if I were playing acoustic and electric simultaneous instead of trying to lay down the acoustic part using the looper. You can't use a looper live when you have a drummer. Lol... Thanks again Doffe, great ideas man! Now I have to find a way to get the guitar switching function with a wireless or better still be able to change patches on the HD500x using one of the controls on the Variax while using a wireless. I can't be tied to the pedal by the 6' VDI cable. My Boss Gt-10 has a very nice feature called Dynamic Switching where you can setup a clean channel and a solo channel in the same patch and switch between the 2 simply by changing your attack on the strings. In other words, I'm able to play chords on the clean channel then when it's time to solo I just attack my strings a little harder or turn my volume up a little bit and the channel automatically switches to my solo channel then when I'm done soloing, start playing softer or turn down a little and the channel switches back to clean and that's with a wireless so you're not tied to the pedal. You can be in the audience playing some sweet chords for the ladies, then take your rock star solo, then afterwards start chording again. Now the women are all over you cause you never had to leave them to go back up on stage to change your patch. They're giving you hotel room keys, throwing panties at you, ( Of course I never took them cause I'm a nice guy, honest. Lmbo..... ) You know what I'm talking about, you've been there! 

It's great sharing ideas with other technical and gear minded guitarist. Thanks again brother for all the help and great ideas. I really appreciate it 

Peace! L

Regarding the wireless - you m​ust​ use the VDI cable to have both the magnetic and Variax pickups at the same time in different signal chainsWith wireless, you can blend in the magnetic sound, but thats not what you are after in this case :)

Regarding the rock star solos (with the following hotel room keys etc) - no comment :P

​