Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X - No new features...no updates?!

lilguitar

In fact the last time I've played a real piano it was like 30 years ago so I may not remember that right :lol: The reason I assumed that was easier is because of the 4Front free plugin and some others really old that, to me, really sound like a piano, or at least not too distant from what I remember, in constrast to some really horrific old guitar modeling attempts. That's better? :P Now excuse me while I try to play Fourth to fifth on guitar with an audio-to-MIDI plugin :o

Great thread. Lots of interesting takes here. I use a Boss GT10/2 Roland GR55s/ Line 6 HD500/1982 Marshall JCM800/2 Fender tube amps/ powered FRFR speakers/ an Ipad with Jamup Pro and a bunch of other stuff for live gigging depending on what I want to do.The HD500 gets used a lot. I like it and dont get too flustered about updates because I have 6 tube amps to compare tones with and I use those amps to build patches on my digital units.Not long after I got my ipad/Jamup/ Blueboard live rig happening Apple issued its latest update(which I did not do on my phone or ipad I know better) and it crashed and basically obliterated almost all of Jamups users who did do the update. Is the ios stuff good enough to gig with?Yes. Do I want to take my $400 Ipad/ $100 interface into certain environments? No.I take my $269 used mint condition HD500 into those places and it kills through my Marshall or through my FRFR speakers.

I am thinking some who yearn for updates and free new amps etc....are hoping the modelled amps they don't have yet will cure the itch for the real thing.It wont. If you could play my 32 year old JCM combo at volume for an hour you would know that is simply not going to happen. My Marshall has never been updated and is still a viable potent force to be reckoned with and I love marrying it with the HD500!

My point is we live in and age in which we dont have to commit to anything because we are constantly getting updates .

The Beatles made Sgt. Pepper on a 4 track recorder and it was and still is brilliant because they were forced to make a commitment to what they were tracking.No undo redo reprogramming waiting for an update etc....

If you are good you should be able to make music or any other art with what is around.That is how all the great records were made.

Its funny I dont hear any of those records being made with all the choices we have now.I hear a lot of pointless crappy albums being made these days. Work with something for a while and you might get something good out of it.Or complain about not having something you dont really need to do serious creative work.The choice is up to each of us.

Apple can keep their updates.I need my stuff to work.

All of the above is only my opinion.

Please continue this discussion.

• Upvote 5

Either Line6 has abandoned bassists, or bassists have abandoned Line6. Kind of chicken-n-egg but either way I'm disappointed. There are so many other great bass amps besides Ampeg. Some bassists don't even like the "Ampeg tone". A compressor with real controls would be nice too. Sadly, I suspect they are not forthcoming.

• Upvote 1

Either Line6 has abandoned bassists, or bassists have abandoned Line6. Kind of chicken-n-egg but either way I'm disappointed. There are so many other great bass amps besides Ampeg. Some bassists don't even like the "Ampeg tone". A compressor with real controls would be nice too. Sadly, I suspect they are not forthcoming.

We're working on some stuff for bassists.

• Upvote 1

I have read through quite a few of the posts here.
I too purchased the POD HD500x - which is a little over a year ago.

I think it is safe to say that when Line6 introduced POD 2.0 software for the original POD HD units - that was as far as the development of POD HD software was going for the current units.

So thinking from a business standpoint on a model series that's 4 plus years something new has to be around the corner for 2015.

While there are things I do not like about the Amplifi series - the ideas on a touch phone or tablet are definitely where the next generation POD - if it is called POD must be heading. But outside of the technology aspect of the Amplifi series - it's all about tone quality and improvement of sound beyond the POD HD series and including more amp models than the POD HD series did. (I personally would like to see more mic models and pre-amp options in the next generation and a better way of getting excellent sound into generic amps like Marshall, Fender and Vox as I know that's been a big complaint.)
So we wait and see. When Line6 was bought out by Yamaha I thought this can go one of two ways... either we get something big coming down the pipes for the modeller or it becomes value line and a value brand. It all depends on the money Yamaha is willing to throw at the development of the software and hardware systems for Line6.

Time will tell.

• 1 month later...

I tell ya.. I've been a Line6 fan for many, many, years.. HD500X, XT Live, Flextone II... BUT I agree.. I'm not feeling the love here man.. Meaning, I would gladly buy a JTV Variax to plug into my HD500X "IF" I thought they were actually going to continue to invest in these products.  My read on it is that they haven't done diddly squat in terms of development/new features for the HD500X, and are making a long time fan (me) more nervous than other vendors make me about investing in more of their gear.  It's fine to disagree with me.. no worries.  It's simply the way they make me feel by basically not doing much with the software for years.  I mean.. the architecture seems fine, processors, etc.  why not keep investing in the firmware?  Edit software?  Yeah - ha ha.. I'll probably buy a JTV Variax within the next few months (I am a hypocrite but.. I'm telling the truth..).   

WRONG. these things take time.. and the ideas are debated, and many are implemented...

not looking to debate this... as this is FACT.... and whether you believe me or not...

time will tell.

Fact:  Line6 ask its customers to give ideas and there's even a dedicated area for that on its website.  Customers give ideas but they are mostly never implemented.

I think it is a bit much to ask Line 6 to implement new functionality into existing product lines for no cost.  As consumers, we purchased a piece of equipment at a defined specification level with defined level of functionality.  Updates should be provided to address software defects whilst the product is supported by the company, but personally I consider any new functionality a bonus.  From my point of view, I think it would be nice if Line 6 were able to sell additional or alternative amp and effect models for the POD HD products, however the architecture of the current product may not permit this approach. 

Bug fixes need to happen ASAP. Ease of operation should come second when possible. For those who want new amp models and FX, do you primarily use your pod for recording, for jamming in the bedroom or for playing live? If you are playing live gigs, what amp and guitar are you using?

I use my gear primarily for live performance. My rig consists of an HD500 into a DT50, a DT25 and an L2M with a Variax that has Suhr ML classic single coils. My tone is absolutely amazing! With my current rig I can't see that I would ever need more amp and FX choices in a live setting. The choices for tone that I have available to me are, at times, a bit overwhelming. Maybe it's different for those using non Dream Rig gear. With non Dream rig gear, you loose out on some serious fine tuning.

I'm purely speaking for myself and my small techno challenged little brain, but once you have a killer clean tone, a killer crunch tone, a killer jazz tone, a killer lead tone and maybe one or two more that aren't coming to my mind right now, what else does one need to play a killer live set?

If I can't find a good tone from any of the 30 current amp models and 100 FX offerings, then an update is not going to help me. It's just going to muddy my already murky waters. I'm strictly thinking live performance. Maybe it's different for the studio or the bedroom or with a different amp or guitar.

• Upvote 2

Can artist set lists be that hard to implement? I hear that Steve Howe still,uses an HD500, and there has to be more. Have any artist set lists ever been released?

Wouldn't the artist have to do that? Line 6 doesn't set up Steve Howes Pod for him. Right?

Many multi effects/preamps come with artist patches. You ask the artist for them in exchange for the gear. My point is that this doesn't take up engineering resources. It is a good stop gap until the 'just wait till you see what we have cooking' updates happen. :/

Many multi effects/preamps come with artist patches. You ask the artist for them in exchange for the gear. My point is that this doesn't take up engineering resources. It is a good stop gap until the 'just wait till you see what we have cooking' updates happen. :/

I can see how that could be cool. But I can also see a few issues with that idea as well. I would favor more tips and tricks videos over an artist set list. A lot of artists I like don't use a Pod. And those that do use a Pod (hypothetically, cause none of the artists I like use anything Line 6) may not have my guitar, and I don't have their fingers and a bunch of other stuff. I can just hear the disgruntled artist set list recipient on this forum..."This doesn't sound like Steve Howe!" "How can Line 6 call this a Steve Howe set list!" "I tried to download the set list and....." And so on.

If one wants a particular artist sound, part of the fun, at least for me, is grabbing a cup of coffee and my guitar firing up my gear and figuring it out. I never get the tone exactly but I am always able to capture the essence of the tone that got my interest.

General Question: Have we all truly squeezed everything that we can squeeze out of 30 amp model offerings, 100 FX model offerings, so much so that we absolutely must have more, new and different? Maybe so! I just haven't arrived there yet.

• Upvote 1

I think that is how Amplifi and Customtone is structured, although they are user patches. This thread is about firmware updates and how every other device on the market gets them, but Line6 doesn't. Then Line6 comes back and says 'Yes, we are not done with the HD', although from the outside, it seems they are. Artist patches, which don't have to be from the artists themselves but programmed by the engineers on;y cost a small time investment. They probably already have several. This would keep people from jumping ship or thinking that their purchase was abandoned. 

I can see how that could be cool. But I can also see a few issues with that idea as well. I would favor more tips and tricks videos over an artist set list. A lot of artists I like don't use a Pod. And those that do use a Pod (hypothetically, cause none of the artists I like use anything Line 6) may not have my guitar, and I don't have their fingers and a bunch of other stuff. I can just hear the disgruntled artist set list recipient on this forum..."This doesn't sound like Steve Howe!" "How can Line 6 call this a Steve Howe set list!" "I tried to download the set list and....." And so on.
If one wants a particular artist sound, part of the fun, at least for me, is grabbing a cup of coffee and my guitar firing up my gear and figuring it out. I never get the tone exactly but I am always able to capture the essence of the tone that got my interest.

General Question: Have we all truly squeezed everything that we can squeeze out of 30 amp model offerings, 100 FX model offerings, so much so that we absolutely must have more, new and different? Maybe so! I just haven't arrived there yet.

I think that is how Amplifi and Customtone is structured, although they are user patches. This thread is about firmware updates and how every other device on the market gets them, but Line6 doesn't. Then Line6 comes back and says 'Yes, we are not done with the HD', although from the outside, it seems they are. Artist patches, which don't have to be from the artists themselves but programmed by the engineers on;y cost a small time investment. They probably already have several. This would keep people from jumping ship or thinking that their purchase was abandoned.

I know what the thread is about. I agree that issues of bug fixes and those things that aid in a better user experience should happen ASAP in that order. I believe that is mostly what firmware updates address. I'm a bit techno challenged so please correct me if that's wrong. You specifically mentioned artists set lists. Others in this thread have mentioned similar issues like the Soldano being the last amp offering. So that is what I am addressing. I don't want or particularly need Line 6 to create patches for me. I would rather do that on my own. It's strictly a personal preference. I enjoy playing guitar, I enjoy coming up with my own new tones and colors. I love sitting with a blank preset and getting to work. It makes me play more guitar and to me that is a win! It gets my creative song writing juices flowing. It is a part of the whole creative process! I speak only for me.

Having someone do it for me takes the fun creative process out of it.

With that said, I wouldn't have to download an artist set list if it's offered. I can ignore that just as I ignore the factory presets that came with the Pod. So heck, if there is a demand for it and it's truly easy to do as you seem to think it is, why not!

Still I would prefer tips and tricks. They could have great titles like "The Red Comp and You! 7 was to maximize the Red Compressor" "The Fuzzy Faces of Death" or my favorite "Fear of a Black Face! The BF Double Explored!"

Think about it!

I've got my coffee and I'm headin in to play some guitar! I think I'll explore Bonamassa tones today!

• Upvote 1

WRONG. these things take time.. and the ideas are debated, and many are implemented...

not looking to debate this... as this is FACT.... and whether you believe me or not...

time will tell.

This is FACT for you but not for many customers I know and various forums echo such opinions.  The truth is that many ideas, among the most required, have never been implemented.

there's a difference between what they are working on... and what they have released.

it's really that simple... as i said time will tell.... but i cannot... (NDA)

there is no argument at all... because i know what i know...

implemented vs submitted has no bearing... because my point is what they are working on... NOT what they've released.

Sounds like a 3rd grade argument.  They're doing most of it.  No they're not.  Yes they are.  No they're not.  Yes they are.  No they're not.

Either put the facts up or shut up.  Show a list of ideas implemented versus ideas submitted.

i can back it up... with time....

Oh an NDA and you can't say anything, hmmmm.  How about this... stop saying stuff you can't back up.  I'm a very satisfied Line6 customer but I don't want to hear about how great something is going to be but you can't tell me what it is. 

Honestly I see the next major updates going to Amplify in the form of HD models. I doubt we will see any huge updates to 500's or even the Variax for that matter. I am very curious to see what comes next. With processing power becoming cheaper I definitely see things like effect trails over patch changes coming in the next flagship device... or a built in profiler like Bias Ampmatch or Kemper :)

In terms of 500's i wouldn't mind seeing little niggles changed.... deactivate looper button option for one! :) 

well the premise of this whole thread is "are they" or "aren't they", "will they" or "won't they", etc...

and my information is better than all of the misguided people claiming that they pod hd is dead etc.

it's not my information to share... (nor am i privy to any specifics besides...)

and digital igloo himself has came in here and said that they are working on stuff....

so it's not exactly a secret....

i have no intention of just letting people post unfounded claims as facts...

otherwise the whole point of this thread is just to have a group cry about a problem that doesn't exist....

so restating the fact that they've publicly said they are working on pod hd stuff.... is in fact relevant to the topic.... 

Oh an NDA and you can't say anything, hmmmm.  How about this... stop saying stuff you can't back up. I'm a very satisfied Line6 customer but I don't want to hear about how great something is going to be but you can't tell me what it is. 

Releasing information to appease forum members—at the cost of forum banishment, losing one's job, or breaking trade law—is ludicrous.

• Upvote 1

I am going to share my two cents,,, but since I am a part time professional advice giver, my two cents is worth a lot more.... 

1. I bought a product with x-amount of features. I bought it based on those features, not based on the possibility of features that may come. Other than fixing bugs, I am not expecting anything else. Also, I have seen situations where (in other products) I did not like the 'new and improved' to the point that I wouldn't have bought the thing and have reverted back to the old version (when possible). 

2, It takes time to compile 'wish lists' from thousands of people. It takes more time to develop the ideas into software. It takes time to integrate them into current software. And unless you want a new update every week, you do a large mass of them at a time. 

3. Just about everyone that is posting is still learning the current features, and do not utilize all of its capabilities. Why do you need more.

4. Why are people getting so aggro over it. 

• Upvote 1

DI you give very good answers and seem to understand customer communication.  I understand NDAs, development, and business models.  I'm a retired computer engineer.  Been there, done that, got a closet full of T-Shirts.

What ruffles me is answers like this -

"WRONG. these things take time.. and the ideas are debated, and many are implemented...

time will tell".

Very poorly worded and very defensive.  I've been on both ends before.  Drink that cup of coffee first, relax, and write the post as nicely as possible.

What ruffles me is answers like this...

Fair enough. I assume TheRealZap's post was a tongue-in-cheek reaction to another member who also used "FACT!", when indeed, the real facts are unknown to all but a handful of people on this forum.

We're all adults; if ten years trolling Harmony Central's taught me anything, it's to never be offended by what others say on teh interwebz.  :)

One could make the argument that Line 6ers should steer clear of these parts until [XXX] number of IdeaScale-culled features have been implemented to everyone's satisfaction, but it's a pretty nebulous metric.

Line 6 works from a veeerrry long product roadmap that's constantly evolving. Some IdeaScale submissions may not make it into products for several years. A bunch of big ones may, uh, show up later next year. Several may show up at, oh I don't know, let's say... Winter NAMM 2015 on January 22. Dozens have already found their way into products, but one may not care, because it either wasn't their particular submission, or it wasn't for their particular product.

To be honest, there aren't an overwhelming number of new IdeaScale submissions that hadn't already been discussed within our own ranks. Most of the time, IdeaScale is a tool for validation and prioritization for what we've already considered (or started developing), but it really shines with bugnuts ideas from left field, which may spawn other ideas that might actually fly. That's what I'd personally like to see more of.

Except for the cupholder-in-the-amp idea. Yeah, we're not going to do that.

I still have a couple line 6 pedals but I grew too frustrated with the hd line and sold my unit. Saved all my penny's and purchased a kemper. I am so pleased with this unit that I haven't once thought about an update that may or may not come to the kemper. ( they do come fyi)

I feel like the hd line was released too early with bugs then line 6 realized that they needed some redesigns. to try to save the line they added the 500x. Unfortunately it's the same unit. It's not going anywhere. I bet they abandon it soon. Cut losses and move on. Actually there are no losses for them as they sold a lollipop ton of units but clearly they don't have processing power to handle more functionality like the x3 and other predecessors. Which indecently they DID set a precedent with all the extra functionality with prior floor units. I purchased mine on those assumptions as I bought an x3 right as hd came out. I found out x3 is discontinued and now it's about the HD line. So naturally I would think the company would build upon what they have already created....but alas no. Too bad. Line 6 is going to circle the drain soon.

Don't shoot the messenger.

I've been reading this thread for quite a while and still find it amusing. It's been said many times over, when you purchased the hdxxxx, it was purchased with what it came with and performs exceptionally well for the price point. The updates and fixes were a bonus, as will any future updates or added features be. It's like complaining because your BOSS metal zone pedal hasn't come with any updates in the past ten years, yet it still does the same thing it was intended to do. If you're truly that ticked off, then save your pennies like the guy above this post did and get another product.

I'm fortunate enough to have an AxeFx XL, Kemper, and recently the pod hd500x (again). I've been using line 6 products in my rig and in the studio for many years and have been mostly satisfied with the gear. Is the pod hd as powerful, versatile, and luxurious as the Fractal or Kemper? Well no, but it can be pretty close and definitely not nearly as expensive.

In a live mix, the general public would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Get a sound engineer who knows his craft and in a recording session, he could make a hd500 (or an old marshall avt for that matter) sound like gold. Point I'm getting at is the continuous complaining and berating isn't going to make Line 6 push out updates prematurely, nor is it going to make you sound any better. Learn your equipment, hone your craft, and make the best of what you have. You get what you pay for and for the money spent, I'd say we got a pretty damn good deal. And fwiw, the Fractal beats the toaster....but that's a topic for a different board. Keep rockin and look forward to 2015! See you at NAMM!

• Upvote 2

Hoodcreeper sounds like you had a bad experience but the Line6 PODHD products do sound very nice.  No question it takes time and some understanding to get them sounding the way you want but as Dino334 said, it can be very close to an AXE or Kemper at a much lower price. 

Too bad. Line 6 is going to circle the drain soon.

Don't shoot the messenger.

I'm sure that's why Yamaha acquired them last year... Because they were in dire straits. :rolleyes:

From everything I can see, Line 6 is doing a pretty good job in being competitive or being at the top of most categories it sells products in.

I feel like the hd line was released too early with bugs then line 6 realized that they needed some redesigns. to try to save the line they added the 500x.

Sigh... For the umpteenth time, HD500X was released specifically because certain parts were EOLed and we couldn't continue to make (the incredibly successful) HD500 as is. It actually had more DSP horsepower than other products in its class, but because we give you the ability to add whatever you want wherever you want until you run out of DSP (instead of fixing the signal path with one amp, one delay, one reverb, etc.), some people misconstrue this as underpowered.

And our strategy regarding that isn't going to change. We're not going to cripple flexibility in our flagships just because some people can't seem to understand the advantages (and gotchas) of dynamic DSP allocation.

• Upvote 2

I am a consumer. I don't care how and why it was made like that. I only care about the end product. The limits of the DSP were a small part of why I didn't keep mine. There is a long list of issues I had with unit, but basically I think it boils down to one simple issue. Line 6 grew too much too fast.

Yes the hd line was widely popular however many of your fans such as myself will think long and hard before jumping into another line 6 product? For example I'd be willing to bet without having any insider knowledge that your amplifi line has been a flop thus far. Part of the reason for this is that many of your fans of digital modeling have been lost or scorned.

I'm sorry I don't write this to be such an lollipop. I have since realized that the issue may be with me. I should lower my expectations of what some of this price point units do. You get what you pay for and many of these units are very affordable