Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X - No new features...no updates?!

lilguitar

The HD "is" widely popular and IMO is that at its price point Amplfi (and the new TT) is an excellent rig for a home jammer which is the intended market. If you are into the Kemper, Axe FX level of use then of course your "opinion" on the subject would be bias when considering its modeling and target audience.  

I still love the Xt/X3 models and on occasion still use them.

You last comment could also be taken as trolling btw. The old "I apologize its my fault you suck" ploy.  

Just saying......

Not trolling. I've spent enough money at line 6 and have earned the right to express opinions Ina public forum.

I share my experience here for many reasons. In part because I see the frustrations from other owners here and want to let them know they aren't alone.

I understand my posts don't seem productive and express too many opinions.

For example I'd be willing to bet without having any insider knowledge that your amplifi line has been a flop thus far.

AMPLIFi's been really successful for us. The SKU with the smallest potential user base—AMPLIFi TT—sold out in less than a week.

Lots of people understand what it's meant to accomplish. A few don't. No biggie.

I kind of "burned" myself when I got the HD originally. I knew of the features availabe in the X3/XT line and really, really liked the modeling on the HD when I tried it. I was on my way to get the next Boss GT-series product when I purchased it. I ASSUMED (my fault) that all of the features of previous units such as full dual chains, multiple recording outputs with dry out via USB, internal re-amping, etc would just be there, because why would you take features out? So that was my fault. Getting dumbed down parameters, misleading language as far as the effects chain and DSP availability (I still think there should have been an asterisk after "up to 8 effects simulataneously" because in reality, its "possibly 8 effects simulataneously depending on which ones your choose and DSP availability") was a little bit of a disappointment. I can say that I may not have purchased Line 6 if I would have known they had no intention of doing model packs down the road like with previous units or how the DSP was allocated. But honestly, for the price, it is a phenomenal unit.

• Upvote 1

So folks, out of pure interest.... what WOULD be on the wish list for a firmware upgrade v2.5? other than a list of new amp models!! I am interested to gauge expectation here......

A real 5150 model, modified cab IRs, another EQ with REAL parameters, and advanced USB firmware to allow for wet/dry tracking.

Jeez- sensitive subject for you I guess. I wish we were aquatinted so that we might put a wager on the timeline until amplifi is discontinued due to terrible sales. But we are off subject obviously.

Obviously. Can I get my amplifi aquatinted? Might like it better than red.

I'm quite satisfied with mine, and I used to tour with a 20 space rack.  This is far more powerful that my 90's "fridge" rack.
I can be a bit of a DSP hog too, with dual amps, morphing between a clean rig & a crunchy one with effects included.

No complaints here.  Mine works great for gigging and recording.

Jeez- sensitive subject for you I guess. I wish we were aquatinted so that we might put a wager on the timeline until amplifi is discontinued due to terrible sales. But we are off subject obviously.

Who's sensitive? I'm not the guy who doesn't understand dynamic DSP allocation. I'm the guy who understands actual AMPLIFi sales reports.

• Upvote 1

You obviously aren't aware that I am the guy that put the P in DSP and for your sales of amplifi I'll just have to take your word for that. The dust collecting on the demo units at music stores in town is obviously part of its distressed look. I even saw a store that was giving away a free bowl of soup with every amplifi purchase. Hmm. My guess is we could better spend both of our time. Take care. No harm intended. I'm probably taking this too far. We are obviously both annoyed with each other. Peace

• Downvote 1

...Except for the cupholder-in-the-amp idea. Yeah, we're not going to do that.

I remember that you guys promised that feature way back when you were still selling Vettas! And it's trivial, you should be able to implement it by Winter NAMM!!!

I'll never purchase another L6 product unless I get my cupholder-in... wait... Huh? Nevermind...

:P

I have a lot of wish lists for my POD HD 500, I will soon probably buy a Kemper,  already have an Eleven Rack, but I'm keeping my HD500 for many reasons, I can still get amazing tones out of it with unbelievable functionality (controller, dual chain, freedom to put effects in almost any order).

It amazes me that some are unable to get good tones out of the HD series!! I hate to be mean, but this is a fact:

If you can't get good a usable tone out of the HD series maybe electric guitar is not your thing! Did you ever consider that?  Why do people come into the company's website to insult and taunt the company is beyond me! It must be "the bravery of being out of touch" as Roger Waters eloquently put it. As much as most effects processor/Modelers need improvement and need to evolve, I think many people have a dire need to evolve too and hopefully join the civilized world! If you're unable to evolve get a sense of humor at least and don't take yourself that seriously! :unsure:

Dean! You haven't given me a reason to take a shot in a while! Thank you!

I have a lot of wish lists for my POD HD 500, I will soon probably buy a Kemper, already have an Eleven Rack, but I'm keeping my HD500 for many reasons, I can still get amazing tones out of it with unbelievable functionality (controller, dual chain, freedom to put effects in almost any order).

It amazes me that some are unable to get good tones out of the HD series!! I hate to be mean, but this is a fact:

If you can't get good a usable tone out of the HD series maybe electric guitar is not your thing! Did you ever consider that? Why do people come into the company's website to insult and taunt the company is beyond me! It must be "the bravery of being out of touch" as Roger Waters eloquently put it. As much as most effects processor/Modelers need improvement and need to evolve, I think many people have a dire need to evolve too and hopefully join the civilized world! If you're unable to evolve get a sense of humor at least and don't take yourself that seriously! :unsure:

And our strategy regarding that isn't going to change. We're not going to cripple flexibility in our flagships just because some people can't seem to understand the advantages (and gotchas) of dynamic DSP allocation.

In case you take that approach again in future products, I'd prefer to buy the "XL version", the one that would have enough DSP power to handle everything I, or any user could come up with (up to the limit of available slots), and pay the fair price for it. Double? OK, but no more DSP limit.

If DSP power were my only concern, I would have moved to some other solutions (i.e.: fractal), but then I wouldn't have a VDI input, would I?

About new features... well, I get amazing tones out of my HD500 as is, but I miss the autowah in the XT line (the mu tron varieties don't cut it for me), I also miss the Mark IIC clean and crunch and, most important of all, the ability to use cab sims without any amp/preamp sim, so that I can use the unit with my TriAxis (or any other preamp I may have) and go straight to my powered monitors and the P.A..

BTW: I like the cab sims on the HD. A lot. I can get superb tones using IRs, yes, but it takes ages compared to the cab sims on the HD.

After fifteen years of using their products, there are many reasons I see myself sticking with L6 for a while longer. I can't agree with everything they do, or every decision they make, but, in general, I tend to understand what they do, and they tend to satisfy my needs.

For me, the big seller is integration. The dream rig is a fabulous concept.

• Upvote 2

I tend to agree with why does it matter .... and with I purchased an item because of what it had on it at the time of sale and any updates I've received have been grateful bonuses. If I wanted something that was constantly updated and had the disposable cash to buy it I'd have an Axe FX . I agree that no one should blurt out false hope but I haven't seen anyone do that. Just a few painstakingly beating a dead horse. We won't knkw about any new updates until Line 6 decides to release them. Sure it's not how every business runs but it is how Line 6 Chooses to. That's why there are other products and anyone on here is free to choose any one of those other products so they can join their forums and complain about the same thing. I've seen just this very same type of post on almost every companies forum so I don't think it is line 6 specific. So maybe sometime here in the future we can stop chasing our tails and end a quite redundantly long 32 page complaint fest.

I used to be pretty vocal on this subject, then I just made piece with my HD Pro. It's the best option in its price range, and an incredible value. Being a metal guy, and having had an afx2 for a while, I can say that there is an incredible amount of tonal redundancy with all those amps. Maybe my ears just aren't as fussy as some people's, but I gotta tell you of the 50+ high gain channels I had to choose from they really blurred together and I came back to the Engl Powerball, the Boogie dual rec, Uberschall and VH4/Das Metal amps more often than not.

Same goes for fx; tubescreamer boost, a good warm digital delay, and a decent chorus. A bazillion fx are definitely lost on me. My only caveat is some of the fx could use an updating, like everyone says on here; need some better variety in the overdrive/distortion box category, a lusher chorus, etc.

Honestly, a Vh4, Herbert, and XTC would complete this thing for me, and I could be happy for the rest of my days. If I never see those amps in the box I could still probably be happy, but I'd have something to complain about in the "if only there was X" category! hahahaha!

Digital_Igloo said that there's a meaningful update in the pipeline "likely" to show by 2015's end, so I'll at least give it the benefit of the doubt that stuff people have been asking for for the past 4+ yrs might show up.

In the meantime go play your guitar and enjoy it for crying out loud.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

My request for an update would be what I call a bug/fix.  I edit manually as well as using the edit software (never both at the same time - grin).  I also use two pedals, the one on the unit itself, and the 2nd one out the back.  My major point of pain with LOTS of time consumption is editing the controllers.  YES - You can edit which controller EXP 1 or EXP2 will be your volume, or Wah, etc.  BUT.. the design and implementation is flawed.  I have to arm wrestle, reset controllers, get rid of EXP2 on the amp gain, remove the wah in the chain, then add a volume pedal, and basically screw around with patches frequently to arm wrestle the controllers to do VERY simple things.

My main desire is the have the volume worked by the exp pedal that comes out of the back of the amp, and have the way used vie toe switch via the pedal on the unit itself.

HOWEVER, there is no ACCURATE table that keeps which the data correctly regarding which expression pedal is linked to which variable.  I'm telling you that I can get about 60% of my patches working the correct pedal for volume and wah with the tone edit.  Then, when I find a downloaded patch that I can't get tone edit do it, I unplug the USB and go manual, get rid of all of the associations with the EXP 1 and EXP2, then manually assign them, and the it DOESN"T work.  I have to then spend time doing my frisking shimmy again (de-assign exp2 from amp/gain volume, the de-assing wah pedal exp, then get rid of the wah, then assign a volume pedal to exp2 BUTTTTT it's freaking operated by EXP1 NOT EXP2, then I have to fiddle with the damn thing and arm-wrestle to (sometimes) figure it out..

Yes.. I'm a long time line 6 customer, Flextone III, XT, HD500X (eyeballing the Variax), but damn man... in the name of god, help me with a table that ACCURATELY shows which controller is assigned to which parameter, and ACCURATELY enables you to RE-ASSIGN it! 

OK - I feel a little bit better for venting - But.. if you help me out with this.. I may quit looking at Kemper/AXe FX, and I may even buy a Variax and another HD500X!!! 

Yes.. I should've editing the spelling before posting my above post - grin.  I basically cannot assign all of my patches to have the external pedal my volume, and the pedal on the board to (mostly) wah or a different parameter (overdrive on distortion or whatever).  YES - You are "supposed": to be able to do this in the tone edit, and if it doesn't work well, simply edit it manually.  BUT - There are some bugs here - Yes, I know how to do it, BUT, there are some bugs in the controller EXP1, and EXP2 tables.

Please prove me wrong and yes.. I have the latest firmware and software.  Ahhh.. it would save me so much time to have this method solved.  Thanks for listening!  I can send you a patch if you like?  Support was having the same issues when I called... even doing it manually.  Maybe a guru has the key?  I would be very grateful!

I do recall that I've had issues assigning parameters to expression pedals in Edit, but it seemed to be linked to me moving the pedals while connected via USB. As long as I made the assignments, then saved the preset, it seemed to be OK.

Yes.. I should've editing the spelling before posting my above post - grin.  I basically cannot assign all of my patches to have the external pedal my volume, and the pedal on the board to (mostly) wah or a different parameter (overdrive on distortion or whatever).  YES - You are "supposed": to be able to do this in the tone edit, and if it doesn't work well, simply edit it manually.  BUT - There are some bugs here - Yes, I know how to do it, BUT, there are some bugs in the controller EXP1, and EXP2 tables.

Please prove me wrong and yes.. I have the latest firmware and software.  Ahhh.. it would save me so much time to have this method solved.  Thanks for listening!  I can send you a patch if you like?  Support was having the same issues when I called... even doing it manually.  Maybe a guru has the key?  I would be very grateful!

Thanks for the reply... it works "better" manually.  I never edit manually while the USB is plugged in.  When I edit manuallly the assignments work sayyyy... 70% of the time?  Then, on the remaining 30%, I have to fiddle with it manually de-assigning exp2 from channel vol in amp (since it's being controlled by exp1 even though it's assigned to EXp2?  Then I have to de-assign the wah exp1 to none, then make the wah none, then create a volume pedal and HOPE that it takes to exp2, then if it doesn't I have to cry. 

So, the final 20% are sucking up 80%+ of my time.  

Thanks a lot for replying.. oh.. and the way I'm doing it is to hold down the enter key, the de-assign, etc.  Next step is to save, etc, then I go through tapping the move, etc.

No worko... it be broke.  Thanks  for listening brother...

PS - Any workaround process is VERY welcome.. Line 6 doesn't need to fix it, I just need to have a bullet proof process to work-around it?..

Also, if one of the expression pedals is assigned to some other parameter, it is NOT always easy to figure out what/where?  I'm pretty good at either manually holding down the enter key, then looking at all of the effects, or if I'm in the edit software just looking to see which knobs move when you move a pedal, or poking around, etc.  BUT.. I don't see a foolproof way to REALLY figure out WTF?  Any and all ideas for a workaround, workflow are very welcome!

Digital_Igloo said " A bunch of big ones may, uh, show up later next year. Several may show up at, oh I don't know, let's say... Winter NAMM 2015 on January 22." How dafaq didn't everyone jump on that? Thunderin' Sh*t Balls people! I'm going to lose my mind in anticipation for the next 20 days! :blink:

Thanks for the reply... it works "better" manually.  I never edit manually while the USB is plugged in.  When I edit manuallly the assignments work sayyyy... 70% of the time?  Then, on the remaining 30%, I have to fiddle with it manually de-assigning exp2 from channel vol in amp (since it's being controlled by exp1 even though it's assigned to EXp2?  Then I have to de-assign the wah exp1 to none, then make the wah none, then create a volume pedal and HOPE that it takes to exp2, then if it doesn't I have to cry. 

So, the final 20% are sucking up 80%+ of my time.  

Thanks a lot for replying.. oh.. and the way I'm doing it is to hold down the enter key, the de-assign, etc.  Next step is to save, etc, then I go through tapping the move, etc.

No worko... it be broke.  Thanks  for listening brother...

PS - Any workaround process is VERY welcome.. Line 6 doesn't need to fix it, I just need to have a bullet proof process to work-around it?..

Also, if one of the expression pedals is assigned to some other parameter, it is NOT always easy to figure out what/where?  I'm pretty good at either manually holding down the enter key, then looking at all of the effects, or if I'm in the edit software just looking to see which knobs move when you move a pedal, or poking around, etc.  BUT.. I don't see a foolproof way to REALLY figure out WTF?  Any and all ideas for a workaround, workflow are very welcome!

Here's a little hint I posted elsewhere. Don't know if it will help but here it is....

I hope I can explain this well. There's a "trick" to programming both the wah and vol to the expression pedal footswitch with Exp1 controlling one and Exp 2 contolling the other. After you have assigned them to Exp 1 and Exp 2 and to the toe switch you have to make sure the right effects (wah vol) are on and off in the effects window in HD Edit before you save the patch. For example, lets say you have the Vol assigned to Exp1, Wah to Exp2 both assigned to the footswitch and the pedal is on Exp 2 (Exp 2 light lit on the unit). And you have saved the patch to the unit. Since you had both effects off when you saved it, when you press the footswitch, it will turn them BOTH on. So you would have both the expression pedal and the wah on, with the expression pedal controlling only the Vol (the wah would be stuck in toe forward position). In other words, pressing the toe switch changes the state of the effect (on or off) from where it was when the patch was saved. Both effects on when saved, both effects will turn off when you hit the footswitch. Both effects off when saved, both effects turn on when you hit the footswitch. You have to make sure that the effect you assigned to one of the Exp slots is on or off depending on the state of the pedal on the board. So lets say the Vol is assigned to Exp 1 and the Wah assigned to Exp 2. If the Exp 2 light is lit, you need to go back to your FX page in HD Edit and make sure the wah is turned on and the Vol is turned off before you save the patch. So when you hit the footswitch, the Vol will turn on, the Wah will turn off and the Exp 1 light will now be lit.

Because we've all been down this road with L6 before probably. I'm always excited to see what's coming up, but I've learned the results never match the anticipation. I will settle for enhanced optimism rather than unrealistic expectations. No matter what is actually delivered and when it happens, I will tell them thank you and continue playing guitar.

Digital_Igloo said " A bunch of big ones may, uh, show up later next year. Several may show up at, oh I don't know, let's say... Winter NAMM 2015 on January 22." How dafaq didn't everyone jump on that? Thunderin' Sh*t Balls people! I'm going to lose my mind in anticipation for the next 20 days! :blink:

I can get superb tones using IRs, yes, but it takes ages compared to the cab sims on the HD.

Uh... what exactly about using a cab impulse "takes ages"?  I'm not disputing whether or not the cabs on the unit are good/bad [they are mostly usable] I'm just curious as to what took ages in regards to using an impulse.  Dialing in the EQ in Reaper took the most time actually.

CAN'T WAIT FOR WINTER NAMM!!! I was pretty positive I was going to spend my tax return on a JTV-59 to complete the dream rig BUT I might have to wait to see what new products or updates are announced now.

I've been a Line 6 fan since the Pod 2.0 through the xt and the now the HD and DT amps. With each new series of Pod or variax, spider etc. Has always been a substantial upgrade in my opinion.

I remember my dad taking me to a music store and them plugging in a pod 2.0 and being BLOWN away...how could it get any better? I was probably 15-16 at the time, starting my first band. (Was running a Ibanez RG into a boss metal zone, into a Kenwood home stereo amp into an 18 Inch PA speaker, thats it!) Then the XT came out and again I lost my mind and again with the HD. Sorry nostalgia took over.

Either way i'm getting that feeling again. Can't what to see what is next! 

• Upvote 2

I am gonna stick my neck out here and say I am pretty certain that an HD successor will not be announced at this point.  :) happy to be wrong but doubt it. I'd say there will be more focus on Mobile for now  and would only start getting excited towards the end of the yr.

:ph34r:

In Fact....... it would not surprise me if they merged the Amplifi and L3m concept to have a FRFR monitor in the Amplifi box to complement the HD series as an on stage amp style monitor .....  I really want an L2m/L3m for my HD500x but the form factor has been putting me off..... even tho they sound incredible

I'm with sinistralx on not expecting a new flagship model for amp modeling. But an effects only processor might be a real possibility. The M-Series is what, ~8 years old now? And overpriced. I've also heard there have been some rebates going around for these things? Don't know if that's true or not.

I really hope they aren't focusing too much energy on mobile stuff. Especially if it's only i(whatever) only.

I'm with sinistralx on not expecting a new flagship model for amp modeling. But an effects only processor might be a real possibility. The M-Series is what, ~8 years old now? And overpriced. I've also heard there have been some rebates going around for these things? Don't know if that's true or not.

I really hope they aren't focusing too much energy on mobile stuff. Especially if it's only i(whatever) only.

They did lower the price on the M13 and M9 before Christmas. You can get an M13 for $399 now and an M9 for $299. I don't know if they'll stay there or not. They were lowered last year and went back up again. I don't know if they're planning a successor for those products or not. The thing is that in the time they've been around, there's not really anyone who's come out with product that competes with what they do in a similar form factor. That's kind of the thing that surprises me.

I actually still think they're a great deal for what they do. I've sure gotten a lot of use out of my M13 and M9 over the years.

• Upvote 1