Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X - No new features...no updates?!

lilguitar

I'm with sinistralx on not expecting a new flagship model for amp modeling. But an effects only processor might be a real possibility. The M-Series is what, ~8 years old now? And overpriced. I've also heard there have been some rebates going around for these things? Don't know if that's true or not.

I really hope they aren't focusing too much energy on mobile stuff. Especially if it's only i(whatever) only.

Interesting times for mobile audio now since IKMultimedia seemed to have cracked low latency audio for Android. If this is true the market has just expanded exponentially......

Well I only bought the Pod 500x about 2 weeks ago and there are a lot of amps on there but I would have loved it if they put a Dumble type amp whether its modeled on a Two Rock, Dumble or Van Wheelden  Fuchs etc so have asked in the idea section for this and a Zendrive OD as it would be great for Robin  Ford, Sonny Landreth tones and by mixing with a plexi/JCM800 would be great for Joe Bonamassa as well so a lot of Blues/Rock tones to be had if this was added.

I've played through a Two Rock once and doubt the PODHD has the resolution and ability to do that amp justice.  I really wanted to buy that amp but the price was way over the top.  It had been modded and the guy wanted $2500 for a 30watt amp.  It was the best sounding amp I'd ever heard.  No pedals, no effects, just guitar and a cable into an amp and speaker and it sounded great.

I've played through a Two Rock once and doubt the PODHD has the resolution and ability to do that amp justice.  I really wanted to buy that amp but the price was way over the top.  It had been modded and the guy wanted $2500 for a 30watt amp.  It was the best sounding amp I'd ever heard.  No pedals, no effects, just guitar and a cable into an amp and speaker and it sounded great.

yeah thats an interesting topic actually. how could an emulator recreate that feeling of having that amp sitting in front of you in a room pushing air, thumping your chest, i would push the boat out and say impossible..:-)   BUT.......... thats probably not what you are going for when you buy a Digital Modeler.....  Stick the TwoRock in a different room and stick a sm57 in front of it and listening to it in the mix on a set of studio monitor  and you start getting closer with the modelers.... or even through a FOH system at a gig, your mic'ed Two Rock 'starts' becoming comparable to Digital modelers through the same FOH or Studio monitors or in my case my IEMS when on stage,, especially when in the mix...

There is no denying that its impossible to replicate the magic of a good amp physically moving air around you but realy with a modeler, in most cases its not what you are going for....  I have come close using the old 50w tube AtomicFRFR, closed back with the HD500 which made the hair on my 'tache stand on end........ but thats another story........ B)

Yes all true with Two Rock mind you we would think $2500 a reasonable price here in the UK as we pay pounds over here what you lucky guys pay in dollars. I have had a look at Fuchs Redplate etc but can not get any where to hear them the nearest dealer that has any amount of stock for Fuchs stuff is in Germany and I was thinking of getting their little Blackjack head but I was not prepared to take the chance. If you want that Dumble sound the nearest I have heard that is close and cheaper is the old Fender Rivera designed Red knob amps but it is a great but one trick pony sound which is where the versatility of the Pod/ Dream rig shines just hope that an update for the pod comes along with a Dumble  overdrive special as it would certainly open up possibilities for folk that want an extra dimension with Blues /Rock sets.

In Fact....... it would not surprise me if they merged the Amplifi and L3m concept to have a FRFR monitor in the Amplifi box to complement the HD series as an on stage amp style monitor .....  I really want an L2m/L3m for my HD500x but the form factor has been putting me off..... even tho they sound incredible

I've been saying/asking for this for years now!

Glad I am not alone... I am actually in the process of clawing back the Atomic Reactor FRFR I sold to a mate. I have yet to find anything that complements the HD500x as well as that does.

Have you tried it with a StageSource L2t or L2m? Is it important that the FRFR's form factor be more guitar amp-esque?

Have you tried it with a StageSource L2t or L2m? Is it important that the FRFR's form factor be more guitar amp-esque?

The Stagesource L2t's sound awesome.. I have focused more on using my DT25, but I did connect up the HD500 to the two L2t's at home, and had a lot of fun running it in stereo / studio-direct. I want to get a couple of the L3m's since the price dropped, just need to wait till after NAMM 2015 it would appear, so I know what potential other G.A.S inducing options are coming along :)

The M-Series is what, ~8 years old now? 

Dang, time flies! I still think of 2008 as being not that long ago... Guess I need to take a closer look at the calendar!

from 2008:

"by RichRenken on 2008-08-08 20:21:08

They have shipped out from Line 6 as of 8/7. They should be in the stores soon. "

Personally, I couldn't care less if it was pink with green polka dots...but I do understand why it doesn't appeal to some. Guitar players (as a species) are fascinated with appearance. We like things pretty things. And beyond that, having a "classic" look never hurt any manufacturer's bottom line. Gibson and Fender have built empires on this premise.

But at the end of the day, the only ones who will know the difference are other players. To the audience, it's just another black box with speakers and a logo...or as my wife puts it every December: "What new toy with knobs and buttons do you want for Christmas this year?"

Not too fussed to be honest. It's just weird when jamming having it laying so low on the ground and elevating it would be tricky due to its elongated shape

To the Line6 employees, Management (and anyone else who really cares)

Last time I checked this was the POD HD forum.
As much as you would like to shoot the stats of the Amplifi series and how successful it has been for the company, I don't think the average reader here gives a hoot about Amplifi as it is not Professional Grade Amp modelling. I believe I have read in other forums staffers and experts who claim that Amplifi is for the entry level - home jamming consumer. And this goes without saying that not everyone that owns a POD HD is a super guitarist or an engineer recording tracks day in and out.

Having said that - I do like some of the UI newness of the Amplifi setups and would assume that type of technology is introduced with next generation POD technology.

I can't remember the date when 2.0 version of POD was released but I am guessing it is well over a year ago maybe a year and a half ago. So for all the Line 6 experts and management people circling these forums, living in the digital age and the social media circus, you can not expect that when the company is MUM about it's product line with the exception of Amplifi mania that it has been in 2014 that the user base starts wondering what is up. We understand you have NDA issues to deal with, whatever!

I think in many ways it's safe to say HD 500, 500x POD Pro X are EOL units - and yes we should enjoy them for what they are. But a little hint or tease as to what comes next without giving away trade secrets would be greatly appreciated!

• Upvote 1

I think in many ways it's safe to say HD 500, 500x POD Pro X are EOL units - and yes we should enjoy them for what they are. But a little hint or tease as to what comes next without giving away trade secrets would be greatly appreciated!

It's been stated publicly in numerous places that the HD series isn't EOL... So, no, I wouldn't say it's safe to say they are.

To get back on track with the origional thread. I wonder if it's even possible for a firmware update to allow, when functioning as an AI via USB, the mic and guitar inputs to be seen as separate inputs. There may be some hardware restrictions tho.

A use case for me: for solo gigs I would like to run Mainstage on the MacBook Air and have the vocal and guitar on separate channel strips with the hd500x connect via USB and functioning as the Audio interface. I can then trigger samples etc when need throughout the show.

unless i'm misunderstanding your request... you can do this now....

To get back on track with the origional thread. I wonder if it's even possible for a firmware update to allow, when functioning as an AI via USB, the mic and guitar inputs to be seen as separate inputs. There may be some hardware restrictions tho.

A use case for me: for solo gigs I would like to run Mainstage on the MacBook Air and have the vocal and guitar on separate channel strips with the hd500x connect via USB and functioning as the Audio interface. I can then trigger samples etc when need throughout the show.

as silverhead pointed out... you have to design your tone around this.... it's not a system setting etc.. you have to keep the paths separated within the tone.

Can you? I will need to fire up the system in the morning and test it. Was almost positive it just combined into a single blended input

Here is a HD500 preset designed for independent processing of guitar and mic inputs.

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/215659/

as silverhead pointed out... you have to design your tone around this.... it's not a system setting etc.. you have to keep the paths separated within the tone.

Of Course!!!!  my original issue was I wasn't panning the mixer (on the HD500x) hard left and right so regardless of which channel i chose as an input in Logic or MainStage i was getting both Mic and Guitar.  Panning them makes them discrete inputs. so simple , how did i miss that.  :)  :)  :)  :)

Thanks!

So then my last request from my firmware wishlist is to decouple the headphone volume from the Master volume. I use IEM's (SE425's with moulded inserts) which are quite sensitive. At the moment i just use an inline attenuator (shure airplane adapter kit) but they aren't  great.... and tend to kill tone.

..14 days left to namm... uhum.....  c'mon Line6... get a room full of programmers, few litres of tea, some pizza.. in two weeks you can get this done.

So then my last request from my firmware wishlist is to decouple the headphone volume from the Master volume. I use IEM's (SE425's with moulded inserts) which are quite sensitive. At the moment i just use an inline attenuator (shure airplane adapter kit) but they aren't  great.... and tend to kill tone.

I know that I have said this on other threads, but a small headphone amp (1.5" square) such as Fiio E6 does this job perfectly and certainly improves the tone into my Westone IEMs (http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E6-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005HJWWW8)

I know that I have said this on other threads, but a small headphone amp (1.5" square) such as Fiio E6 does this job perfectly and certainly improves the tone into my Westone IEMs (http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E6-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005HJWWW8)

Was actually just looking at this    not cheap but seems to have good reviews plus no batteries!!!

I have tried them in-store and was very pleased. I don't need all the extra live sound DSP, or want to spend $1500 to have stereo amplification. A guitarcentric shape would be nice, but not absolutely necessary. I really liked the "mock" 4x12 that Jet City never launched, and I was kinda excited with the pre-relase amplifi images, cause I thought we were getting a stereo FR cabinet for our HD stuff.So, stereo output, combo-shaped form factor, DI I/O,  no modeling, enough volume for gigging, and a price-point (well) under what a pair of L2T/M speakers cost....

Not too fussed to be honest. It's just weird when jamming having it laying so low on the ground and elevating it would be tricky due to its elongated shape

I use a regular tripod speaker stand set up so that my L2m is about the height of my head. I have never heard myself so well, I guess I really don't have ears in my knees where most guitar amps direct the sound.

-Max

It's been stated publicly in numerous places that the HD series isn't EOL... So, no, I wouldn't say it's safe to say they are.

And if I am wrong (and I have been wrong before) then that is wonderful for all the POD HD users. 

We will see what Line6/Yamaha have in store for us at NAMM.

And if I am wrong (and I have been wrong before) then that is wonderful for all the POD HD users. 

We will see what Line6/Yamaha have in store for us at NAMM.

As DI has stated before, the HD is not dead. So for this year, according to DI, you are wrong.

As DI has stated before, the HD is not dead. This year the HD will see new updates. According to DI, one will probably happen around NAMM (the 22nd?) and more towards the end of the year. So for this year, according to DI, you are wrong.

Whoa, be careful. I'd like to stick around here.

Not what I said; we were talking about realizing IdeaScale submissions, which could imply new products or an update to any existing product. Still, you're right—POD HD is not EOLed.

Personally, I would prefer StageSource floor monitors for my HD, something small, with just one cone, like the L2, or a bit bigger stereo box.

DT amps are amazing, but I really need the ability to run FRFR.

Not what I said; we were talking about realizing IdeaScale submissions, which could imply new products or an update to any existing product. Still, you're right—POD HD is not EOLed.

If that is the case - then I will be absolutely happy. We will wait to see what happens at NAMM.

Quite frankly, I already own a HD unit. So I don't care if L6 kills the product or not. 

I am good, as long as the current downloads (edit/monkey/etc) remain available so I can (re)install the software at a future date. Perhaps if they also keep drivers up to date, so that in 2020, when Windows 12 is released, the software can still work. 

Hey, before I bought my Pod HD500, I was still using:

ART Mach II 

Rocktron Pro G.A.P. 

and for headphones, I had a SRD Rockman Soloist (an original model, not the Dunlop versions). 

And some other little pieces. But the point is... 

I bought what I liked. I bought what worked. I kept it. 

Until I bought my HD, it had been 20-30 years since I did any major overhauling of gear. And as long as my unit doesn't break, I will use it for another --- wow, 30 years may outlast me. 

Quite frankly, I don't see an LCD screen lasting that long. But if it does, I have no intentions of getting rid of it. 

KILL THE HD LINE 

just keep the software available 

Surely you mean "Since that is the case...". He's just stated, again, officially from Line 6, that POD HD is not EOLed. There's no 'if' about it.

Hahaha.

We will all wait and see! Talk is cheap, provided goods or software are what matters.

If and when Line6 releases new software for the HD POD's I will be among the first to congratulate them.

I use my HD 500 x fairly often. I like to see progress just as much as the next guy. And just a little reminder! I didn't start this thread!

But it seems to have lit a fire under some people!

The EOL-ness for the POD HD isn't the same as updates though. As time goes on, (and 2 years since the last update that didn't just fix bugs), there is less of a chance there will be anything substantial added, and more of a chance the manpower will go into developing something new. 

Holy Smokes!! Talk about misreading a post. I apologize. I don't want to do anything that could risk you leaving. Again, a thousand pardons. I will edit the post as well.

The EOL-ness for the POD HD isn't the same as updates though. As time goes on, (and 2 years since the last update that didn't just fix bugs), there is less of a chance there will be anything substantial added, and more of a chance the manpower will go into developing something new. 

Agreed. 

But at the same time. Sometimes, as people develop new products, some of the new features can be applied to the old. 

You see it happen all the time.