Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X - No new features...no updates?!

lilguitar

I think he was actually talking about Windows PC vs. Windows tablets. The editor doesn't run on tablets that use a tablet-based version of the Windows OS rather than the full version that runs on the PC. He was talking only about Windows and wasn't meaning to imply anything about the MAC world.

So if you're talking about a tethered mobile solution (tablet or phone via physical USB cable), then yeah, that's doable... except with iPhone. :(

We did some research a while back and asked "If you had to choose one, would you prefer a phone/tablet or Mac/PC editor for the next flagship POD?" Every single person said "Oh, man, I'd really love both, but if I HAD to choose, Mac/PC hands down." Ideally, the user wouldn't have to choose.

Of course the ultimate goal is to create a UI that's so fast and easy to use, there'd be no point in dragging out a laptop, phone, or tablet at the venue.

Well, yes, of course, if its a choice between a computer and a phone, go for computer. Everytime, that is what the smart choice will always be. 

And on stage, I would never try to operate the EDIT software anyhow. 

But I make HD Setlists based on a show's setlist (and I have multiple projects going. Its not always the same set in a different order). So, being able to import and export files is kind of important. Whether its a last minute change prior to a show, or overnight in a hotel room before the next show. I could be fiddlin with that. 

Not needing an actual laptop/pc in my suitcase, when I already have a powerful phone with me that could do the job, would make much more sense. 

Besides, I don't think that mobile devices will ever truly overtake the pc, but its definately going to be a large market share. I view mobile as a companion to the pc, not a replacement. 

I think he was actually talking about Windows PC vs. Windows tablets. The editor doesn't run on tablets that use a tablet-based version of the Windows OS rather than the full version that runs on the PC. He was talking only about Windows and wasn't meaning to imply anything about the MAC world.

I don't know if it runs on Mac. Because I am not a Mac user. 

But, yes, I was referring more about mobile options. 

Thank you for clarifying that for me. lol 

Id like to just thank you guys for your hard work. I honestly appreciate it, and thanks for responding to these (sometimes less than polite) questions. Ive been using POD products since POD 2.0 and i'll admit some frustration with my POD HD due to a perceived lack of support. I honestly feel people would be happier, and less cynical if they felt like they were more 'in the loop'. Like this thread here makes me hopeful that bigs things are coming and makes me feel 'less left out'. I think communication in any business is important and at times I feel that Line 6 has been less than forthcoming with information to keep its user from being so cynical and mutinous. Even if you post once a month or even once a quarter with updates and things you hope are coming down the pipeline, I think that would ease alot of users minds and lead to a more polite and productive forum.

I think Line 6 should concentrate on the sound- and recording option on the HD series. Also on making HD Edit more comfortable - not optimising for mobile devices.

For that is the Amplifi series and thats good as it is.

• Upvote 1

+1 on Dshow's post, adding that L6 shld also concentrate on device RELIABILITY+ROBUSTNESS as well.

I think Line 6 should concentrate on the sound- and recording option on the HD series. Also on making HD Edit more comfortable - not optimising for mobile devices.
For that is the Amplifi series and thats good as it is.

we (pros) don't need no mobiles, we just need hd excellent (preset) sounds :)
i wld NEVER EVER rely on stage on pc/mobile/other device except my extra light rig jtv + hd 500 + ups (ideally doubled in case something breaks down).
When away from home, there is always a hotel/venue/studio pc available, so i wld use this 4 last minute changes prior 2 a show, or overnight in a hotel room b4 the next show, although professionally pre-planned shows usually do not imply 4 last minute changes.
in any case, i consider the 512 preset slots of the HD more than enough 4 any show/tour.

• Upvote 4

It is funny how customers want always more. I bought my POD HD500 for what it was at that time. Would someone buy a car and complain a year later that there are no new tires for free? ;)

For the price, the POD is a great product. Some midi footswitches (Voodoo Lab or Rocktron) cost more than a POD 500!

• Upvote 2

I agree as its got what I need but there is nothing wrong with value added. Considering some of the issues which have cropped up over the years it would be cool to reflash and see hmmmm... a 5150 model for example :)

To me Its all good as long as its stable and the footswitches work.

How many days to NAMM? :P

-B

How many days to NAMM? :P

Exactly! January 22nd, six days away. Like a kid waiting for Christmas from Halloween on, counting every day, it seems to last an eternity. Now, with jobs and bills, football on tv and shoveling snow, time just flies on by. It's good to feel like a kid, even if the anticipation is nothing more than an excuse to be excited about playing and making music.

It is funny how customers want always more. I bought my POD HD500 for what it was at that time. Would someone buy a car and complain a year later that there are no new tires for free? ;)

For the price, the POD is a great product. Some midi footswitches (Voodoo Lab or Rocktron) cost more than a POD 500!

Its not a car, or a stompbox, its a digital device with updatable firmware....... and there are still bugs to work out. Also, Line 6 had created themselves a history of updates and available software add-ons in previous versions.... nobody is asking for us to send a free extra expression pedal, or even FREE amp models, just continue to develop the line as long as they can, given that is an option with a digital device.

This argument doesn't make sense.

• Upvote 3

I wouldn't say most pros use preset sounds. I don't, not even modified ones.

when i say preset, i mean every hd patch u professionally prepare + store in the pod  my friend.

so, yes, even u always use "presets" (patches), unless u tweak in situ. :)

• Upvote 2

I've had three HD500's over the past few years but six months ago dipped my toe into the water's of a Kemper. While the Kemper sounds stellar by a long shot, I do miss the ability to "cop" a tone quickly on the HD. Very easy to use interface and edit and sounds pretty good plugged in direct to house.

Seriously considering going back to the HD.

Just want to say bravo to L6 for the HD500 line and the updates that have been added.

For $500 (or less) ? NO BRAINER !

• Upvote 2

ts020572

"It is funny how customers want always more. I bought my POD HD500 for what it was at that time. Would someone buy a car and complain a year later that there are no new tires for free? ;)

For the price, the POD is a great product. Some midi footswitches (Voodoo Lab or Rocktron) cost more than a POD 500!"

I agree with gunpoint, this isn't a valid argument, never has been. Firmware presents

a unique face on its own, it was "designed" for updates and bug-fixes from scratch.

I'm not asking for anything free either, but I will pay for model and FX expansions,

which seems to be missing out of the HD equation, which only leaves us firmware

updates for models and fx, and lets not forget, bugs and fixes. Its a damn shame

Line6 took a pass on expansions, I'd assume half these kind of threads would vanish.

Would've also left me in the "now I can't complain anymore" camp, knowing I had

supplements and options to delve into AFTER my purchase, simular to past generations.

PS, god I wish Line6 would fix quotation for the latest IE, as long as I didn't have to pay for it....

• Upvote 1

HD with it's native companion JTV is an ultra powerful, good sounding 'n light rig...

Yep ... had a JTV 69 which I gifted to someone close to me and moved to a 59. I miss the switching setup on the 69 and the trem (sometimes) but LOVE the meatier 59 neck :)

Good Utube vid. BTW !

• Upvote 1

You don't need to sync all patches at once, don't you? The one you're editing would be enough

No, but switching presets and then waiting 8-15 seconds to edit it would be really lame.

Each time you hook up Pod and EDIT, it does an entire sync. So, yes, it would be 20 minutes each time you hook up, plus 15 seconds for every change your make. 

Each time you hook up Pod and EDIT, it does an entire sync. So, yes, it would be 20 minutes each time you hook up, plus 15 seconds for every change your make. 

Not every change, but 8-15 seconds for the app to load the new preset's data so you could then edit it. Once the preset is synced, editing would be as fast as Firehawk.

But none of this matters. POD HD will most likely never get user-loadable IRs or an iOS/Android editor. I'll occasionally add context to explain decisions to the extent I'm allowed, but after a while, I just feel like a jerk repeating the same bad news over and over. Sorry, guys. :(

• Upvote 4

I used to have my MacBook Air connected and in a stand at rehearsal but nowadays I find it just as quick to navigate and tweak on the onboard UI of the 500x.

My BIGGEST disappointment in life is that there has yet to be a Variax/Evertune collaboration!!!' Cmoon guys! Imagine a Yahama Variax Pro :-)

For example, POD HD's EQs not displaying in dB or Hz deals with the method in which the DSP and MCU communicate. It would require fundamental architectural changes, and preclude fifteen other feature requests

Like a lookup table is hard to do. Who's writing the code over there, ffs. That's the lamest, laziest excuse for lazy programming that I've ever heard.

Architectural changes??! what architecture, your product is such a mess that not even your own support how how the signal chain works.

• Upvote 1