Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifi Playback Question Itunes vs MP3

Stratotron

This may be answered, just double checking.

I pulled the trigger on an Amplifi FX 100 and a Ipad Air w/t IOS7(not the newest).  One thing that I overlooked is actually playback of song files, I will explain. My set lists for the each week are sent to me via  Planning Center Online. Along with the charts are (legal) MP3 files transposed to the keys that we will be playing them in...A very nice function. Normally, I just patch my Laptop in to my HD500X from the headphone out to CD player in..Good to go.

My question is; can I stream the MP3s to the Amplifi as files or do I have to stream them from Itunes? I understand the "Tone Match" function won't work with random MP3s, I don't care about that. IF I need a tone, I will find the song on Itunes and Tone Match from there.

I am assuming based on what I read, that as long as my Ipad is connected by Bluetooth, that I can monitor the MP3s from Planning Center.

One of the driving forces to my going to the dark side with the Ipad, is that Planning Center is Ipad centric. It "works" on my MS Surface, but is glitchy and looses some of the functionality. I have been doing this for a long time, and have to say, Planning Center has made my life so much easier. I get my setlist Monday morning, with MP3s and PDF charts, scheduling reminders and all that stuff. Secondly we will be going to an Ipad controlled monitoring system soon.

While we are at it. I picked up a Line 6 Relay G30, it is incedible! Who knew wireless could be so cool, simple and inexpensive?

Will have many more questions once my Amp 100 and Ipad arrives in the mail.

Gracias, Strato

Yes, you can stream the mp3 files without using the AMPLIFi Remote app's music player, but you may not be able to while running the remote app.

Or you could import them into i-Tunes then, you would be able to stream them while using the AMPLIFi remote app.

• 3 weeks later...

After using the Amplifi FX100 for a couple of weeks now, I will respond to my own post!

I get my MP3s for Rehearsal by way of Planning Center Online. I simply open the MP3, it asks if i want to open or save it, I choose save. I then go to my Downloads Folder (I am on my PC BTW) and click on "Open With" and I select Itunes. It will start Itunes and open the song in the "Recently Added" playlist. I then sync up my Ipad and it appears in my Ipad music library. Good to go.

This is important because I get my rehearsal MP3s transposed to the key that we will actually play them in.

I will be using the Amplifi FX100 for the second time live this week....

I do love the ease with which I can move tone files around. It was very simple to set up the patches for this weeks set in the first 3 patch banks.

• 3 weeks later...

Replying again to my own post. This may be helpful.

I get my rehearsal charts and MP3s each week by way Planning Center Online, namely the Music Stand function of PCoL. 

I was working on duplicating tones from my HD500X on the AmplifiFX 100, so I had my Ipad plugged in to the CD input of the HD and was playing MP3s from Music Stand. I minimized Music Stand and opened the Amplifi App. I went to play the MP3 from the Music Stand App and got nothing. I thought maybe the volume was turned down so I looked at the volume control in Music Stand, and instead of a basic volume control, it gave me a drop down that had "Headphone" or "Amplifi 100" as playback options. By default the "Amplifi 100" selection was checked. I moved my headphones to the Amplifi pedal and the playback was coming through there. I am not sure if this is a built in condition of the Ipad, Amplifi or Planning Center. It sure makes this unit way more handy for me if i don't have time to download my MP3s to Itunes and sync up the App. Nice inter-connectivity!!

I will add here that, I am hoping, hoping, hoping that Line 6 will introduce an HD500-like version of the Amplifi. I love the functionality of the Amplifi the overall sound,and the editing. I miss and am struggling with, the lack of "blocks" and the extra row of assignable footswitches. Last weeks set and maybe this weeks set are driving me to bring in my HD500X because the Amplifi just doesn't have the flexibiblty to pull off some of the tones that I need.

Take the HD500 carcass and put in Amplifi/Bluetooth functionality, I will be the FIRST in line to buy one!!

Hi stratotron,

I was working on duplicating tones from my HD500X on the AmplifiFX 100, so I had my Ipad plugged in to the CD input of the HD and was playing MP3s from Music Stand. I minimized Music Stand and opened the Amplifi App. I went to play the MP3 from the Music Stand App and got nothing. I thought maybe the volume was turned down so I looked at the volume control in Music Stand, and instead of a basic volume control, it gave me a drop down that had "Headphone" or "Amplifi 100" as playback options. By default the "Amplifi 100" selection was checked. I moved my headphones to the Amplifi pedal and the playback was coming through there.

Did you connect the outputs from the HD500x that were going to your amp (or speakers) to the "main outs" of the FX100? Since you chose "AMPLIFi 100" as your output sound, I imagine sound is no longer routed to the headphone output of the iPad, but rather via bluetooth to FX100. That could be why you are not hearing anything except when you connect your headphones.

No, I was monitoring using headphones only. What I was getting at, was, once I opened the Amplifi App, it took over the output from my Ipad hence Music Stand. Point being that I don't have to work out of Itunes in oder to reharse using the Amplifi, can rehearse to the MP3s from Planning Center/Music Stand. This to me is great functionality. However, no Tone Match in that playback mode. Not a big deal, if I need it I will import the song to Itunes Amplifi Library and go it from there.

D