Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Thoughts On The Dt112 Cab

geppert

Wondering for those that have a D112 Cab how you generally like it? Questions are ....

1) Do you find that one cab is enough and/or would two cabs be worth the investment?

2) Anyone swapping out the G12H-90 for something different with positive results?

I have a DT25/D112 and am generally pleased with it but wondering if others here are experimenting and if so what the outcomes are. I kind of feel the need to add another (D112) cab at the moment. I did put in a Weber Beam Blocker which is working well.

When I had a DT25 combo and extension cab, I always thought the sound was huge and fat!!! I never missed the 4x12 with that rig, just a massive tone really. I didn't change out the stock speakers. 

Now I'm having great results with a DT50 head on a Greenback loaded 4x12 and I'm enjoying the tones to be had with that combination too, I choose the Greenbacks particularly as I was aiming for more 'vintage' tones.

I'm a fan of Beam Blockers aswell. I used em' with a V30 loaded cab and they worked a treat. Personally I remember the open backed DT25 rig to be less directional than the V30???  

One cab is absolutely enough for me: Together, the DT25 and the D112 Cab make a fine mini stack that's loud enough for nearly every venue. If not, you are Rammstein and surely will have additional monitors at hand ;-) What I like most is the combination of the completely closed cab and the partly open combo - that makes the best compromise for airy clean tones and fat distortion. I did not swap the speaker. Although I am thinking about adding Weber Beam Blockers, I had have some good results with them in my former amp.

I really liked the DT25 with the D112. So much so that I bought a 2nd D112 cab!

Now I can use a single cab for band practice and home, and the bigger sound of the 2 cabs at gigs. And it really is a bigger sound. Great.

Of course my next step now is to get a 2nd DT25 head for those dual amp tones in stereo etc but that may have to wait a little while. The D112 cab has a big sound with lots o' bass response and complements the heads really well. 

you're right about it using cabinet models, But i don't think it's a neutral speaker, it's easy enough for them to tailor the output to a known speaker.

I'm reasonably confident that it's a guitar speaker with a common celestion equivalent, although i can't cite the specific model... just going by my vague recollection.

If it was more neutral they surely would have built in some sort of neutral power amp variax/acoustic guitar settings.

which they still probably should have done, being that the speaker has known characteristics. 

I think the GH90 is ok...Not really neutral IMHO..much better than most Celestions I have heard. :lol:

I am an old Mark series fan so I tend to prefer higher rated speakers (ala EV or JBL) in my rigs...higher ratings nearly always means more neutral...EV12L is a great speaker but just too freakin' heavy...I am really impressed with Jenson Jet Tornados lately and @ 4.5 lbs they are a bit lighter and easier on my back...

Steve Gordon .... yah, I am thinking like you. I think a 2nd D112 is in my future for sure.

I have also thought about a 2nd DT25/Cab rig for the stereo attributes and dual tones but I don't want to lug another rig around plus the added cost. The 2nd D112 is doable without too much pain (both back and financial).

MrIbanezMetal ... interesting about the combo plus cab ... I can see the flexibility of open back plus closed cab in combination. Nice.

ChristophK ... Do try the Beam Blockers, they made a positive differential for me and erased the ice pick laser.

Thanks for the feedback (no pun intended).

Hi folks - to my ear, I found the speaker in the DT 25 very direction and a bit harsh = Ice pick. I replaced it with a Weber blue dog and the ice pick has been removed from my forehead. The blue dog has great clarity w/o the ice pick. I have since purchased a 1 x 12  extension cab loaded with a Weber Silver bell and the two speakers make one sweet sounding combo! This also allows me different micing options for recording. Very cool.

At first I went with the beam blocker and it did help significantly - I would recommend that option as a viable solution. 

good luck