Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

returned a spider 4 150, and got a pod hd...the guitar store dude said

frypot

i could buy a pa, and a cabinet, and itd be a better setup for me.

this is a completely new concept to me. love the pod though!

say i wanted to get mesa's 2x12 vertical cab. what would be the most economical pa i could get that would push power to that cab, so it sounds like a real guitar amp...as in, not weak, and that i would be able to actually play over acoustic drums?

is that even possible? or no matter what pa i got, it would never sound as powerful as a real guitar amp?

please and thank you!

If you wanted to use the mesa cab you should look at the rocktron velocity 300...or you could just get an active monitor and run the pod straight into that.

some of those active monitors are in the thousands....im moer in the hundreds for now...

so just to clarify, that would sound loud and powerful enough to gig with? it wont be thin and weak? please forgive the noob questions

my store doesnt carry rocktron, would this be comparable: ART Pro Audio - Studio Linear 2x200W ?

some of those active monitors are in the thousands....im moer in the hundreds for now...

so just to clarify, that would sound loud and powerful enough to gig with? it wont be thin and weak? please forgive the noob questions

my store doesnt carry rocktron, would this be comparable: ART Pro Audio - Studio Linear 2x200W ?

I was thinking of an active stage monitor similar to this  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/kustom-pa-kpc12mp-12-powered-monitor-speaker   They run about $180 and up...you just setup the pod to sound how you want through there and if you play live you can send a FOH signal also.

And that power amp will work if you want to run the mesa cab.

Flavour of the month at TGP at the moment for value but good quality FRFR is the Alto TS110A or TS112A, also branded as Alesis Alpha: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1472630 

Musicians Friend have been selling then for $179 recently ($250 at the moment) and at 600W (TS110A) they can do a good job as backline as well as a monitor http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/alto-ts110a-600w-10-2-way-active-speaker

The main thing to remember is are you using the guitar cab to SHAPE the sound onstage. If you are relying on the POD directly in the PA then you should set up a monitor type situation with full range speakers. No guitar cab is capable of reproducing an accurate picture of what the POD sounds like. Because of that you will be constantly tweaking and what you end up with patch wise sounds NOTHING in the PA like it should.

Personally, most gigs I do have a fairly good to world class PA. I plug the XLRs in to the snake for the house and they give me enough back thru the monitors for me to be comfortable. NO MUSS! NO FUSS! Takes me all of 15 minutes to setup and sound check and less time than that to pack up. The longest time I spend is waiting to get paid! HEE-HEE!

For my personal rig to monitor thru I set 2 powered floor monitors at my feet. One on each side of the mic stand, like a studio monitor setup, next to the vox monitor. If you still want to have that old school on stage sound just set them up behind where you would normally put 2 guitar amps. The most important thing to remember is you are going to hear the POD cab simulation with a miced sound. It is not going to sound like a dry guitar amp.

Use one or two powered FRFR cabs. I put one angled to the side of me and one behind me and it sounds great in a variety of rooms.Look up what Paul Pesco of Hall and Oates does live an old X3 live and 2 QSC K12s I think.When I play live I also use a GR55 guitar synth and with the HD500 it kills!