Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifi Windows interface failure

Leftzilla

I am trying to update my Amplifi 75 watt with the new windows app so I can control it via my android.  However it keeps giving me update failed check USB.  USB cable is good, but when I try to set the unit into update mode I here the pop but the tone light is still lit and it fails the update.

Amplifi app installed correctly, first time I plugged the amplifi into the computer it recognized it.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am trying to update my Amplifi 75 watt with the new windows app so I can control it via my android.  However it keeps giving me update failed check USB.  USB cable is good, but when I try to set the unit into update mode I here the pop but the tone light is still lit and it fails the update.

Amplifi app installed correctly, first time I plugged the amplifi into the computer it recognized it.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

exactly the same problem for me

I pointed out this thread to Line6.

Hopefully itr is something they can iron out quickly.

I know it's a PITA, but you can update to 2.0 with your iOS, update the app, and you will gain the Android functionality.

FWIW, I was able to successfully update my FX100 with a Win8 laptop.

• Upvote 1

Triryche,

Thank you for the feedback.  Unfortunately I don't have an IOS device, but I will try this with a windows 7 32 bit to see if that is the issue.  Also does anyone know how to do a factory reset on the Amplifi.  I couldn't find it in the pilots manual or any other documentation.  It could be that there isn't one.

The main reason I want to do this to update the Blutooth since I have noticed some stuttering from my Android devices.  I don't use the emulations currently on the Amplifi as I drive my HD500X through it and use it as a practice amp and small monitor while onstage.

Triryche,

Thank you for the feedback.  Unfortunately I don't have an IOS device, but I will try this with a windows 7 32 bit to see if that is the issue.  Also does anyone know how to do a factory reset on the Amplifi.  I couldn't find it in the pilots manual or any other documentation.  It could be that there isn't one.

It's on the FAQ page, but it's kind of buried.

Q: How can I reset the AMPLIFi to its default settings?

A: To perform a factory reset and restore the AMPLIFi to factory settings press and hold Master Volume knob and Tone button as you power up the amp.

• Upvote 1

Hello,

I also tried to update to 2.0. I use windows 7 64 bit. The light of tone was still on when I started to update (after pressing tone and tap together).

I stopped the updating proces after 15 minutes. I suspected that it didn't do anything.

After that I decided first to update the firmware to 1.0.1. Same problem.

Now the result is that I cannot use my Amflify 75 anymore. A factory reset doesn't do anything.

Now when I turn on my device the tone button is on and all the 4 presets blink together. I cannot use the amplifier anymore.

I want to connect it with my samsung S III (I installed the app today)

What do I need to do?

Thanks a lot

Hi There! 

Some things to try:

- Completely uninstalling AMPLIFi Utility and reinstalling it.

- Connect via USB and power it on in update mode.

- Check to see that it is recognized in the Windows Device Manager under the category of "Amplifi"

- Run AMPLIFi Utility in administrator mode (it should already request this, make sure your user account on windows has Admin privileges!)

- Attempt the 2.0 update.

having the same problem as everyone else. get as fas as downloading the version 2 software and it just says down loading do not turn off.  Nothing else happens and after an hour or so I gave up and started over with the same result.

any suggestions

rgds

Mellyfu

I also have issues updating the firmware, though with slightly different twist. I hope my analysis below will help isolating the issue faster.

My details: updating AMPLIFi 150 from Win 7 64b. Current firmware version: 1.00.5 updating to version 2.00.0

After more than 15 min having Utility stuck in 'Installing firmware update...' I start searching the support forum and found this thread. Looks like I was not alone :(

So I killed the Utility. But in my case after restarting the AMPLIFi it goes back to normal. Am I more lucky? :)

So this encouraged me to try again with different things: 

- running Utility as Administrator -> same result

- running Utility with antivirus disabled -> same result 

- trying to update to Version 1.01.0 first -> same result

- uninstalling Utility (drivers and program) and re installing it -> same result

- doing factory reset (pressing volume knob + TONE button during power up) then updating again -> same result

- planning to let it run overnight -> after ~20 it failed with 'Update Failed: Read/Write error. Check USB cable connection'. All connection in order... to me it looks like a sort of timeout

- running Utility in Win XP compatibility mode -> Utility does not see the device

Few things I noticed while trying all the above:
- when putting the device in update mode the TONE button remains lit up. But in the Utility instruction it is mention that after quiet pop there should be no lights on the unit. Hope this a real clue not just a documentation issue. 
- I monitored the network traffic and noticed that the Utility is showing some activities only in the first few seconds (during login and dowloading firmware). After that is no more network activity. Same with CPU usage (almost no CPU activity during 'Installing firmware update...'). To me this indicates some communication issue with the unit.

Hope my black-box approach will help focus on the real issue. Praying in the same time is not a hardware one.

exactly the same problem for me

YeeeeeeeeAH !!!!

Update 2.0 OK for me today, 

with another PC (notebook) always with Windows 7 64 bits.

i am just only connected in USB the Amplifi 150 and nothing else connection USB, i don't know if why it worked, but everything works with samsung tab 2(Version Android 4.1.2)

Merci Beaucoup Line 6 for Amplifi Remote Android  ;)

(sorry for my English  :ph34r:) 

• Upvote 1

Thanks fiflot.

I tried the same: on a different win7 64b (laptop this time), with no other usb device connected.

And.... it worked!!! I successfully upgraded to version 2.00.0

It is not clear though what made the difference: using another laptop OR the fact that there was no other USB connection OR both.

So with this hiccup behind me it's time to give my thanks to Line6 team for listening to their customers and releasing the Android version of the remote app.

From what I tested till now on my LG 2 they did a great job with this APP.

In the Line6 download search, I entered PC / Windows7 for Amplifi, The resulting item says version 1.00, not 2.0. I dont see the 2.0 anywhere. How do i find it? Can someone provide a link to it?

thanks.

The utility is only at version 1.00. The firmware on the amp is at 2.0.

Damn.. no other usb device connected, using 2.0 port, no luck so far.. > read/write failure, check udb connection.

Tone light keeps shining while on update mode. To you who managed, is this a sign of connection failure?

Tried different usb ports too.

Win7 & 64bytes...

Any hints highly appreciated.

you dont need the amplifi utility... its just a faster way to update.... use bluetooth to update and then you should be fine....

takes a bit longer... but works.

That will only work if he has an iOS device for the remote app, though. If he only has the Android device, he'll have to go the utility route.

I would say try to download the utility again. The Line 6 servers sometimes simply aren't cooperative. But eventually, it should work.

true overlooked that.... take for granted that nearly all amplifi owners up to this point had to have an iOS device.

That will only work if he has an iOS device for the remote app, though. If he only has the Android device, he'll have to go the utility route.

I would say try to download the utility again. The Line 6 servers sometimes simply aren't cooperative. But eventually, it should work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys,

My trouble is a bit different;

- successfully downloaded and installed Amplifi utility

- my laptop (windows 7 64 bits) sees and connects to my Amplifi 75

- when I press & hold the buttons (tone & tap), the sound occurs and at that moment, my computer crashes down: blue  screen why error message and it restarts...

help...! I also have an iPhone, is it then possible to upgrade the firmware using the app? so then, I can use my android tab with my amplifi?

Thanks for your help

Hi guys,

My trouble is a bit different;

- successfully downloaded and installed Amplifi utility

- my laptop (windows 7 64 bits) sees and connects to my Amplifi 75

- when I press & hold the buttons (tone & tap), the sound occurs and at that moment, my computer crashes down: blue  screen why error message and it restarts...

help...! I also have an iPhone, is it then possible to upgrade the firmware using the app? so then, I can use my android tab with my amplifi?

Thanks for your help

• 1 month later...

FRAK! sorry for language. Look. The problem is I have a win7 64bit system. Called line6 support and have ticket opened. He suggested getting local Guitar Center (where it was bought) involved.  They won't allow software downloads.  Or a "friends computer" which might work.  But this is intolerable!

Why can't I just update the freakin' amp?!!??!  I'm just so upset now.  What have you'all found to fix this update issue?

• Upvote 1

Here's a post from line6Tony that may shed some light:

"Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:57 PM   Best Answer

USB recording on Mac requires 10.7+. The AMPLIFi driver for Mac is class-compliant, meaning it uses the driver that OSX provides. Windows 7/8 users MUST download and install the AMPLIFi driver at www.line6.com/software before connecting via USB, otherwise the non-compatible default Windows driver will attempt to install.

Tony Reese
Line 6 Customer Support Manager"

My win7 PC does auto lookup a Windows driver and install it.  Maybe this is the root of the problem?  In control panel/device manager, the Amplifi appears to be running correctly with no apparent problems- but maybe really isn't?

I'll try deleting the Windows driver and downloading the official Line6 driver first then connecting the amp to my PC and see if that helps.

I'll get back to you all soon.

I successfully updated my Amplifi when I used a Win8 laptop.  it worked like a charm first time.  All previous attempts to update using my Win7 x64 OS failed immediately.  Was frustrating as I went through 4 different USB cables just to be sure my cable(s) weren't damaged somehow.  

Removed all Line6 software from Win7 PC laptop.  Then tried fresh installs of current official Line6 driver, utility, and the most current firmware.  Followed procedure but no dice!

Took it to friend who had a newer iPad. Upgraded to new firmware successfully!  Although it did take over an hour.

Based on parsonsg post, and a lot of our bad experiences, it appears Win7 is not fully reliable for this task.

The evidence seems to suggest the best options for updating the Amplifi products are either Win8 or a newer Apple device.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hello and sorry if I am bumping this topic unnecessarily.

I had all of the same problems when updating with a win 8 self built pc and may have found a fix.

The only difference is that I had to update with usb 3.0 because this was the only port that did not return the cable error.

At first it got stuck halfway trough the update so I had the idea of turning of the built in usb power management of windows and that fixed it.

For anyone wanting to try this i'll explain how:

-Go to control panel -> open power management-> plan settings->change advanced power settings

->find "USB settings"->USB selective suspend setting-> Turn this option to disabled-> reboot and try to update.

This was what got it to work for me so maybe it can help some of you guys having trouble updating.

If needed i'l make a few how-to screenshots to explain the process. ;)

• Upvote 1