Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Review- JJ El 84 and Balanced 12AX7 in DT25

gtrman100

I'd been having a few volume and tone issues with my DT25, the volume seems to had dropped a bit, and the tone had sounded a bit weak, and not as punchy, so I figured t was time to retube,,

I've had JJ's before and they were a good sounding, not excessively expensive tube, so I bought a set from Eurotubes. They were delivered quickly and I highly recommend them.

The verdict- huge improvement in tone! The volume is back- headroom has increased markedly.The tone is tight and focused, and the low end isn't flabbly at all. I can crank a high gain tone to pretty high volume and not get mushy.

The balanced 12ax7 in the phase inverter section might be responsible for the improved headroom.

If you're looking for replacements, you might try these out.

I would like to know the lifetime most are seeing with the JJ tubes in the DT25. Mine lasted about 3 months before blowing out and taking the fuse with them.

I did really like to tone of the amp with the JJ's, but have refrained from using them after they blew.

I have a DT25 and want to be ready to change the tubes when the time comes. Thanks for the recommendation. Did you rebias the amp at all when you fitted the new tubes? (I would need a repair technician to help me with that)

Gazza

I always rebias power tubes when changing. It can make a big difference on how the amp sounds and tube life.

I would like to know the lifetime most are seeing with the JJ tubes in the DT25. Mine lasted about 3 months before blowing out and taking the fuse with them.

I did really like to tone of the amp with the JJ's, but have refrained from using them after they blew.

I've had JJ's in other amps before, and never had a problem with reliability. Any brand or quality of tubes can fail, so I would buy them from a reputable dealer which usually comes with a warranty.

Mine made it about four months and took the fuse with them too.