Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Clean amp for use with FX100

mesteptoe

My current amps are modelling amps and I don't think they are ideal to get a clean sound out of. I assume it would be best to use the FX100 to create the tone and then amplify it through a clean amp so the sound doesn't change. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced power amp which will complement the FX100.

Thanks a bunch.

Graham

Do any of your amps have an effects loop?

If so you could run the main outs into the effects loop.

I have done this with a SV MkII HD100 and it was awesome.

Yes, my amp (a Yamaha DG80-112) does have an effects loop. But how do I cable it up. I was looking at 4 cable wiring and there is no send and return on the FX100. Please advise.

Thanks for your invaluable help.

Regards

Graham

You just go out the amp out or main out into the return...  You don't want to complete the loop.  So your send will be left unused.

Yes, what Scott said! I used my HD500 this way for a long time; by running a signal to the FX return on an amp, you are basically tapping directly into the power amp portion of the amp, and bypassing the preamp, EQ, drive, etc. Which is ideal for a unit like the FX100.

The FX100 will be the master volume for the amp, however - most often, the dials on the amp won't impact the sounds or volume, with the exception sometimes of the reverb on the amp; that is often applied in that position of the signal chain (last).

I used to put delay after reverb; realized with an actual amp, if you have a delay pedal in the loop, it will occur before the reverb.

Someone advised me to think of the reverb as the sound of a room; you run the delays repeats into the room, vs running the room into delay repeats.

Largely subjective, but it does help to at least start with a traditional manner of sequence, then deviate as needed.

So yeah, you should be good running the FX100 into the FX return. From what I recall, the 'guitar out' or amp out on the FX100 is the main signal without any of the streaming audio; the main L/R outs are the guitar/amp tones and the streaming audio. Either would work, just use the Left/mono if you want to hear the streaming audio, use the other single jack if not.

So yeah, you should be good running the FX100 into the FX return. From what I recall, the 'guitar out' or amp out on the FX100 is the main signal without any of the streaming audio; the main L/R outs are the guitar/amp tones and the streaming audio. Either would work, just use the Left/mono if you want to hear the streaming audio, use the other single jack if not.

Yes, it is the FX100 signal without streaming, but it is EQ'ed to go into a the front of a guitar amp, to my ears the main outs to the fx return was the way to go, if you do not have to worry about the BT stream going to the fx return. 

The AMPLIFi Remote App communicates with the FX100 via Bluetooth (BT for short).

The Remote App has a music player. If you play music from the app's player, it will stream the music via BT to the FX100.

This stream is routed to the Headphone and the Main Outs, not the Amp out.