Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Thinking of getting DT50 112...few questions

pwik

I am looking to replace my Spider IV 75 due to it's having some power supply issues (but that's another story). I own a Tyler Variax and I recently picked up a POD HD500X. So now I am thinking of adding the DT50. My questions are:

How is the reliability of the DT amps? Are they worth the money?

With the POD HD what is the advantage of the DT over another brand amp? How good is the integration of the separate components?

I appreciate any and all info provided!

Phil

I don't have the DT50 but a DT25 combo.

I haven't had any issues yet, gig on occasion and move my amp around a lot for rehersals.

To me they are worth the money. One they sound great with tube power amps section you get the best of the modelling world as well as real tube feel. Paird with HD500(x) you have array of great sounding amps and effects and it all wired up using 1 standard XLR cable over the L6 link, very seemless integration. With your Tyler you will have the "Dream Rig" so you will have a  array of effects, guitar models and pretty authentic sounding amps.

One note thought, you will have to rebuild your patches for the DT. The best sound, IMO, is using the "Pre" models which is what is designed for the DT amps. Becuase of the real tubes in the power section the sound can be touch different as well so you will need to adjust them for it.

Phil,

I have a DT25 Head & Cab (actually 2 cabs) plus an HD500. I love this digitally integrated system. There is a learning curve for sure and you must be patient initially to understand it and find the tones you like. The HD500(x) really completes the DT amps imho. They are made for each other ... so in your case it is a no brainer to at least give the DT's some very serious consideration. Buy one from a dealer who has a 30 day money back guarantee. That way you can try it and return it if it doesn't work for you.

Remember on thing, the DT50 is a powerful LOUD beast. I find the DT25 is more than adequate for what I do and the best thing is that I can crunch the tubes without being insanely loud. I prefer the Head & Cab as it splits the weight up and I prefer the sound of a closed back cab to an open back combo.

I haven't had any issues yet either, but I am a religious believer in a power conditioner (such as the Tripp Lite 1200) for these amps.

Palico is correct about you having the potential (with a DT amp) to create the "Dream Rig". 

Good luck with your search.

My band plays mostly small to medium clubs. My Spider IV 75 handled it well. I usually played at about 1/3  to slightly higher volume. How would the DT25 compare? I realize it's an apples to oranges comparison but a generalization would help.

Unfortunately there are no music stores in the area that actually stock any of the DT amps. :(

I would suggest that for "small to medium clubs" the DT25 would work very well .... better than your SIV75. It does for me. I have never felt the need for the DT50. The DT amps are a different beast than the Spider IV series primarily due to their tube power sections. I like tubes when they bend and that is what the DT's are designed for, digital modelling up front, tube back ends to push it out. I rarely get my DT master up past 12 o'clock but I am working on it <grin>.

Hopefully some others here will chime in on this to provide some additional perspectives for you?

The big key is the integration of the POD500(x) with the DT. They are made for each other ... and .... since you own the POD .... it is definitely a finger pointing in a specific direction for a power amp choice.

I have a SIV120, a SV212MKII and a DT25. I use the DT25 all the time except the SIV120 I use exclusively at home for practice. The SV212 (which I also really respect) is a spare and backup. I do like that amp, but the Hd500 and the DT25 are my mainstay,

My band plays mostly small to medium clubs. My Spider IV 75 handled it well. I usually played at about 1/3  to slightly higher volume. How would the DT25 compare? I realize it's an apples to oranges comparison but a generalization would help.

Unfortunately there are no music stores in the area that actually stock any of the DT amps. :(

I've played my DT25 at smalller outside shows without plugging into the PA. It will get way louder than you would expect it to. Also it has a XLR DI on them so you can feed a line to the PA if you needed it, without a worring about a mic and the sound is really good. Nothing wrong with the DT50, you will get a bit extra head room if you want/need that, but if it's just pure volume you are concerned about the 25 will do fine in most situations.