Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sonic Port VX - Windows Vista Drivers? Help!

Oh crap!!! I ordered the Sonic Port VX and it's due to arrive this Friday 10/31. So Apparently I just find out there are no Windows Vista ASIO drivers to download from Line 6 so what do I do now? I currently have the Toneport GX and my Windows Vista recognizes that. Am I out of luck with the Sonic Port VX?

So I guess my choices are either return the Sonic Port VX or spend an $$$ to clean install my PC from Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit to Windows 7 (Premium or Ultimate) 32bit.

Thanks to the tip. The driver installed but who knows until I get the Sonic Port VX hardware on Friday. The install wizard does mention Vista but that could just be a generic installer thing who knows:

Microsoft Vista Users: Please select "install" when and if the Windows security dialog appears.

sonicportvx1.52vista.JPG

Now I have to take the chance and open the box vs shipping back unopened to avoid a possible restocking fee. If it doesn't work, I'll need to find an unopened retail box version of Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit operating system. I cannot use an OEM version. They are meant for new PC builds & installs so they will not perform an in-place upgrade and preserve my user data files. I'm currently running Windows Vista Ultimate 32-Bit and do not want the grief of reloading everything from scratch. I'll wait until I build a brand new up-to-date PC next year before doing that.

My Sonic Port VX will arrive today so I will test if the Win7 drivers I installed on Win Vista actually work and will report back. Does no app software come in the box? What do Windows users do in order to control the simulation interface to be able to actually use it? Please tell me I don't have to buy other Line 6 software. That would be a show stopper as well.

When it arrives today I might contact the seller for a return RMA for a refund. It's just frustrating and isn't going to fit my needs. I know its a good product but is best for Apple guitar practice and recording users. I'm not in that camp.

Don't know if I should keep it. Maybe it'll work with my existing Line 6 Gearbox software and buy some add-ons. Maybe they will add more Windows support later on. Otherwise I only have my iPhone 5s to use it with. I didn't plan on buying a MacBook or iPad. But I'll try it tonight and see if it grows on me.

Alright, I re-installed the Line 6 drivers for Windows 7 again as suggested, following the prompts and no errors. I plugged in the USB cable between the Sonic Port VX to my Windows Vista computer. I tried running Gearbox (installed with my old Toneport GX) and it doesn't recognize the device. It gives me a pick list of Line 6 devices but Sonic Port isn't listed. I try running Line 6 Monkey and it gives me a pick list of Line 6 devices but Sonic Port isn't listed either. What can I do?

Windows Vista physically recognizes the device however. In my sound settings under Playback it lists Headphones as Sonic Port VX and working and checked as default. In my sound settings under Recording it lists Microphone as Sonic Port VX and working and checked as default.

Is there another configuration tool like Monkey that is Sonic Port aware? I'm assuming Gearbox (I'm running the newest version) just isn't Sonic Port aware either. Can you please point me in the right direction or else I'll have no choice but to box this up and send it back for a refund. :(

there is no sound processing software with windows... use your recording software... it usually has options....

the software part of sonicport is iOS (apple device) related.

the microphone and basic input output capability can be used with recording software on win/mac.

the sonciport is not a toneport/pod studio replacement product....

Well I'm experimenting some more and I actually got AmpliTube to work with it. I had to go into Windows device manager and do update driver/browse and let me pick from list of drivers on computer by unchecking show compatible hardware in order to select Sonic Port VX from the Line 6 manufacturer list. After I did that the ASIO driver for Sonic Port VX was selectable from AmpliTube when it wasn't before I did this. Somehow just installing the driver normally didn't configure it properly but that may be because I have Windows Vista and not Windows 7 so its a workaround.

Also of note I tried uninstalling just the TonePort GX drivers but they were still all over the place in Windows Registry. I had to pune them because TonePort GX kept showing in the list of ASIO drivers when making the selection in AmpliTube until I killed them. This is probably dangerous for most novices to edit the registry but I've been a Microsoft PC tech since 1985 and I'm used to troubleshooting the operating system. Line 6 should have a driver cleaner that completely removes all references to them because the regular uninstaller doesn't.

Oh yeah, you're right about the IOS centric design. I just played with Mobile Pod on my iPhone 5s and it's pretty cool actually. I had a hard time at first thinking it's an updated TonePort or something on the PC side of things. But as long as you have an Apple device to act as the controller basically I think it's better than AmpliTube and PC based sims. So think I'll keep it after all. It seems like a lot of fun. My only gripe is why no overdrive pedals in the effects selection? No biggie I guess since the amps sound good.

On my PC it keeps losing ASIO driver. Have to keep reinstalling it. Basically because of this I can't record on PC using the USB port ASIO connection of the Sonic Port VX. I can't use Riffworks T4 or Reaper. Only direct mic into PC works in Audacity and that isn't the best way to do things as the signal is too hot and have to set volume at 7% or it clips. Otherwise it sounds great as a mobile device. I called the online retailer (SA) and asked for a return authorization to ship it back for refund. I will get the Line 6 UX1 instead for full PC use. Maybe I'll look at any future Sonic Port models after I build my new Windows 10 PC later next year. It is a cool device for what it does right.