Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-69 vs 69S

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a JTV-69 (HSS) I assume the bridge humbucker does not have a coil tap? I haven't been able to play one in person yet. Anything about the humbucker model I should know? the black HSS are going cheap right now. 

thanks,

mark

It doesn't have a coil tap no, it is just a normal humbucker and quieter than the single coils which are true single coils and therefore pick up electromagnetic interference like any thing (noisy). That said I don't use them much as I stay in Model mode all of the time which is absolutely silent.

Some other tend to use the magnetics all the time and only models when they need to, so they may be able to give better information

I have the 69S -- got it in Oct 2012, after having my 59 since May 2011, and my Variax 300 since 2005.

I've played Strats & Fenders for years, so I know about the hum they pick up. I was never a fan of the HSS or "super strat" configuration, always saw putting an HB bridge PU with single coils on the same guitar as a mismatch of levels.... I was surprised to hear from Rewolf48 that the HB level was quieter than the SC's on a 69.

By having my 300, then the 59, I had gotten spoiled by the quietness (lack uf hum) of HB physical pu's & modeling. I had even picked up an Epi LP, that I really like. It's on the same page tonally as the 59's mags. I do use the mags probably 80 - 90% of the time.

But being a Fender & strat guy for many years, when they first came out with the SSS 69S, I was hooked, so I bought one. My mag strat tone was back, but so was the SC hum.... It's not bad, and the pickups sound fine tonally, but I reminded me of what I went through for years with my strat. I've been gigging on weekends for over 40 years, and you get around some pretty noisy electrical environments -- bars with neon lights, bad grounds.... Some places are worse than others. ANYWAY, after a few months of using it, I swapped out the 69S's stock SC pu's with some noiseless DiMarzio's -- and couldn't be happier ever since.... So happy that when I get around to it, I'm going to put some noiseless in my late 70's strat.

I picked up an inexpensive Epi LP Special with P-90's, just to see what P-90's are all about in actual use. I like the tone, but not the hum... I'll probably do some shielding work on it, to see if that helps. It did help me dial in tone on the 59/69S models with P-90's, though....

With having both the 59 & 69S, one thing I became aware of is that the output of the 59's HB's versus the 69S SC's is much higher, by about 5 to 6 db, and while I use one guitar to back up the other, I had to make adjustments to my HD500(X) patches. The models on both guitars are roughly the same levels between the 2, but the mags are not, so I had to make a duplicate set list for the 69S from my 59 patches and push up the levels (input and overall) for the 69S. Then I had to adjust the models to the relative levels of the mag pu's on each guitar, so I wouldn't have a huge increase (on the 69S) or decrease (on the 59) in the model volumes compared to the mags...

I don't really care for the signal level differences in the models from one guitar model to the next either, so while they may be "accurate" or the specific gutar, I don't care to have big differences in volume when going from one patch to another -- tone ok, but not level, so I evened those out - got the volumes in the same ball park with Workbench as well.

Lately been tweaking my models a lot. A lot of stuff that bugged me for a long time about the models can be greatly improved by also evening out the individual string levels in the models, but I found it varied from one guitar body/pickup combo to another, so I left the globals alone and focused on string levels on a model by model basis.

Whoa -- went a little off topic... Sorry...

Dave

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a JTV-69 (HSS) I assume the bridge humbucker does not have a coil tap? I haven't been able to play one in person yet. Anything about the humbucker model I should know? the black HSS are going cheap right now. 

thanks,

mark

Do it, do it now!  Seriously, I love my 69.  It is my go to guitar and 90% of the time I am using it with modeling vice mags.  I haven't had any of the issues others have noted elsewhere, a little nut sauce and a good setup and it stays right where I like it.  I bought mine on sale too so get it while you can...

Hack of an endorsement!  What is modeling vice mags? You mean both mags and modeling? The biggest draw for me would be the acoustic models. Switching between verse and chorus from acoustic to model/mags and back seems like a killer application. The alt turnings are also cool. 

I have the 69S -- got it in Oct 2012, after having my 59 since May 2011, and my Variax 300 since 2005.

I've played Strats & Fenders for years, so I know about the hum they pick up. I was never a fan of the HSS or "super strat" configuration, always saw putting an HB bridge PU with single coils on the same guitar as a mismatch of levels.... I was surprised to hear from Rewolf48 that the HB level was quieter than the SC's on a 69.

By having my 300, then the 59, I had gotten spoiled by the quietness (lack uf hum) of HB physical pu's & modeling. I had even picked up an Epi LP, that I really like. It's on the same page tonally as the 59's mags. I do use the mags probably 80 - 90% of the time.

But being a Fender & strat guy for many years, when they first came out with the SSS 69S, I was hooked, so I bought one. My mag strat tone was back, but so was the SC hum.... It's not bad, and the pickups sound fine tonally, but I reminded me of what I went through for years with my strat. I've been gigging on weekends for over 40 years, and you get around some pretty noisy electrical environments -- bars with neon lights, bad grounds.... Some places are worse than others. ANYWAY, after a few months of using it, I swapped out the 69S's stock SC pu's with some noiseless DiMarzio's -- and couldn't be happier ever since.... So happy that when I get around to it, I'm going to put some noiseless in my late 70's strat.

I picked up an inexpensive Epi LP Special with P-90's, just to see what P-90's are all about in actual use. I like the tone, but not the hum... I'll probably do some shielding work on it, to see if that helps. It did help me dial in tone on the 59/69S models with P-90's, though....

With having both the 59 & 69S, one thing I became aware of is that the output of the 59's HB's versus the 69S SC's is much higher, by about 5 to 6 db, and while I use one guitar to back up the other, I had to make adjustments to my HD500(X) patches. The models on both guitars are roughly the same levels between the 2, but the mags are not, so I had to make a duplicate set list for the 69S from my 59 patches and push up the levels (input and overall) for the 69S. Then I had to adjust the models to the relative levels of the mag pu's on each guitar, so I wouldn't have a huge increase (on the 69S) or decrease (on the 59) in the model volumes compared to the mags...

I don't really care for the signal level differences in the models from one guitar model to the next either, so while they may be "accurate" or the specific gutar, I don't care to have big differences in volume when going from one patch to another -- tone ok, but not level, so I evened those out - got the volumes in the same ball park with Workbench as well.

Lately been tweaking my models a lot. A lot of stuff that bugged me for a long time about the models can be greatly improved by also evening out the individual string levels in the models, but I found it varied from one guitar body/pickup combo to another, so I left the globals alone and focused on string levels on a model by model basis.

Whoa -- went a little off topic... Sorry...

Dave

That is a fantastic bit of detail that will really help. I hate the tedium of leveling patches on my hd500x I suppose you will have to do the same thing with the guitar models. It looks like I will be spending some time with workbench. Also, I've always put a noise gate as the first device in the chain 100% of the time because I hate the noise (I play single coil/p-90s most of the time). 

Hack of an endorsement!  What is modeling vice mags? You mean both mags and modeling? The biggest draw for me would be the acoustic models. Switching between verse and chorus from acoustic to model/mags and back seems like a killer application. The alt turnings are also cool. 

No, I mean I use the models almost exclusively with my HD500.  I rarely use the mags at all.  I have other guitars if I want to just use mags.  Not that they aren't any good, just that I am very happy with the models.  I have leveled the strings and also the models themselves.  I have posted about it in other threads on these boards. And yes, it is nice to be able to switch from acoustic to electric and alt tunings with ease. 

I bought a black JTV69 at a sale price last year - a good 30% off RRP - it was old stock - it had the old firmware - but other than that nothing wrong with it.  A few slight tweaks to have it set up perfectly and I have a fantastic modelling guitar at a great price.  I already have a JTV59 TSB - so now I have a back up that also has a trem!

My advice is to go ahead and buy one - if you have any problems with it send it back and get it exchanged - and do this until you end up with one you are happy with without faults - hopefully the first one you get will be fine anyway - whatever happens, you will end up with a fantastic guitar at a bargain price!    Plus - if you don't like it you can always send it back and have a refund!  There is nothing to lose in this scenario - it's a win win!