Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

More Looping Questions

brywool

With my HD500, I'm JUST getting into using the looper. It seems it will almost do the job for me.

I'm also using a JTV59 as well.  I split the signal of my patches so that the electric guitar signals come out of my amp, then when I use the acoustic guitar sounds, they're sent directly to the PA and not through the amp.

This has worked great so far. However, I want to use the looper to fill up the solo areas with chords (It's a 3 piece band). I notice that even though I've got my electric and acoustic signals split, the looper comes out BOTH outputs. This makes it really difficult for our sound guy.

Is there a way to make it so all the electric loops come out of one side and the acoustic loops come out the other like when playing live?

Well, once you record a loop, the output from the looper block is summed. That's why you're getting the same signal to both sides. The one way to keep your signal split is to put the effects loop block in the signal path of the tone you don't want looped and use the effects send as the output for that guitar. I don't know if you're using the XLR outs to the board currently, but if you are, you can still continue using the one for the signal you'd like looped. For the effects send signal, you'd probably want to use a DI box to go to the board.

Right now, I'm splitting the signal using 1/4 inch jacks.

I'm not following what you're saying above unfortunately. If I loop, say, an acoustic guitar part, then play a solo over it, also with acoustic guitar, won't that go to the same side?

Sorry, this is pretty new to me.

Actually, re-reading your post, I think I was confused as to what you were doing. I was thinking you'd want to record an acoustic loop while having that play through the acoustic channel on the mixer and then play electric over it without the electric being on the acoustic track. So that's what my first answer was based on. If you put the looper in the pre position, you can avoid the the output going to both tracks by hard panning in the mixer block and muting the output you're not using. As long as you want the effects of the recorded loop to be the same as what you're playing over the loop, having the looper in the pre position will work fine. It becomes more complicated other wise.

Actually Phil, both situations apply. There are times when there's an acoustic looping track and I'm playing electric too. Maybe I just can't do what I'm trying to do. Definitely complicated. Maybe putting the looper PRE is something to try. Might be simpler to get another guitarist.   :)

Another thing to keep in mind if you want to use the HD500 Looper for live play: it is quite difficult to do because it is not really designed for that. There is some real fancy footwork required to go between Looper and Performance modes for start/stopping the looper while changing presets to get your solo tone. It gets complicated to keep the tempo of your song/playing.

The HD500 Looper is really useful for jamming/practicing your solos, and for auditioning tonal changes without having to be playing live. For gigging?? - not so much unless you really practice and keep it simple.

Yeah Silverhead, I'm finding out that it's definitely not that easy to use in a live setting. I haven't done it yet, but was going to try it this weekend. I can get it to record and stop so I can record the verse chords that're used in a later solo, then fire off the loop when I need it in the song so I can solo over it. But it is really not "hassle free" and it's not as intuitive as I'd prefer. It also makes it difficult to change patches live. So if the acoustic is looping and I want a distorted electric solo, it's not that easy.

I have a JamMan Looper in my closet. Is anyone using these with the HD500 in a live setting? Maybe that's a better way for me to go? It certainly uses longer loops, which is reassuring.

Any idea if that would eliminate the whole "split audio" issue I'm having?

I strongly advise against planning to use the HD looper in a live situation. It WILL go wrong.

yeah, tried it in a rehearsal. Just too funky without a click. A solo artist, it'll work. But a band... eh, I don't think so