Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Workbench crashes consistantly.

Using the hd version of the software with my line 6 xt live pedal.  I have tried to go direct with the hardware that came with the guitar but cant get the green light on the guitar side of the connector.  Thanks for the clarification of using the xt live to connect.  Will the 500x connect to the computer and the guitar?

HD500 and HD500 will connect computer to JTV and support Workbench HD - it was a change we asked and only became available in later firmware versions

If using the supplied USB to VDI adaptor you do have to have a charged battery in the JTV and to switch on the JTV as that interface doesn't power the guitar

1/4" Jack inserted and volume knob above minimum - the best way to be sure is to press the Model knob and it should be lit up Blue.

From http://line6.com/data/6/0a06434c5bcd520d3ab6261d4/application/pdf/Workbench%20HD%20Pilot's%20Guide%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20A%20).pdf 

Before you begin your first Workbench HD editing session, you’ll need the following:

• The Variax Digital Interface that came with your JTV (to connect your Variax to your computer via USB).

• A fully charged JTV battery and a 1/4 inch guitar cable (plug your cable into your JTV to power it up).

• Headphones, a guitar amp or a playback system (to monitor your guitar’s output).

It then takes you through updating using monkey but you need all of the above unless you have an HD500/HDPro when the VDI link can power the JTV and act as the Interface as long as you are using latest Firmware versions. version 1.9 firmware is not a high enough version

you have to use BOTH...

without 1/4" plugged in (doesnt have to have anything on the amp end!)

the guitar will not power on... and thus.. not work.

I think this nailed my problem.  I couldnt get it to light up on the knobs and I think this will fix it.  

• 11 months later...

I have seen the Pod XT and HD500X mentioned above ,, what about the X3 Live? .. I have my Variax Standard connected via the Cat5 cable to my X3 Live and then USB to the computer. The Variax HD software loads and allows me to play around with the pickup settings but then as soon as I try to permanently write the patch back to my Variax it crashes .  I have used Line 6 Monkey to update everything to the latest level of software / drivers . I am currently charging my battery to try a direct connection but have to say that I am a little disappointed.

• 3 years later...
On 11/3/2015 at 11:37 AM, CaptainRiff said:

Thanks .. Will try tonight with Direct connection to PC

On 11/3/2015 at 1:50 AM, CaptainRiff said:

I have seen the Pod XT and HD500X mentioned above ,, what about the X3 Live? .. I have my Variax Standard connected via the Cat5 cable to my X3 Live and then USB to the computer. The Variax HD software loads and allows me to play around with the pickup settings but then as soon as I try to permanently write the patch back to my Variax it crashes .  I have used Line 6 Monkey to update everything to the latest level of software / drivers . I am currently charging my battery to try a direct connection but have to say that I am a little disappointed.

Hi CaptainRiff,

I am having this same issue with connecting through the POD X3 (and I realize it is years later) but did the Direct connection solve the problem? Does it allow you to write the patch back without crashing?