Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HI,

I'm considering purchasing a JTV 89. My hangup is that I don't know if I can do open tunings on this guitar, which is a deal breaker/deal maker for me. I know there are other models which will do this by default, but I don't like the look or the strat and LP style necks associated with these models. I also know that the 89 won't do open tunings as an out of the box feature like other L6 models. So to elaborate, I would like to know if I can program the guitar for the open tunings I want. I play a lot of drop tuning, shredder type stuff as well as open tuning, fingerstyle acoustic stuff. So the guitar must be able to do both with equal facility. Searched this on the forums, but no luck finding an answer. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

As already said, all the JTV Variax models come out of the box with alternate tunings and you can create your own. Just be aware that when you select an alternate tuning, you have to turn off the magnetic pickups (which occurs by default when you select an alternate tuning but wanted to mention in case you run both VDI and 1/4" outputs) or you'll get some very funky results... which maybe you'd like !

Something else I forgot to mention. When you are using a tuning that is fairly slack, say 1 1/2 or more down, songs with huge bends on the first few frets are a monster because the strings don't actually slack. Helps build massive bend muscles though  B)  

• 2 weeks later...

I would reconsider... I have the 69 and the drop D works great but all the other alternate tunings are off. the EBG strings have weird harmonies when you play them. They dont ring out as just one note like its trying to do a minor harmony with each note... I tried all the open tunings and the same problems.. I have re-flashed the guitar 3 times and no luck... better rethink this one!

• 2 weeks later...

did you engage support? because your experience is not typical.

I would reconsider... I have the 69 and the drop D works great but all the other alternate tunings are off. the EBG strings have weird harmonies when you play them. They dont ring out as just one note like its trying to do a minor harmony with each note... I tried all the open tunings and the same problems.. I have re-flashed the guitar 3 times and no luck... better rethink this one!

Yeah, I can confirm that I have this behaviour too....open G is just about OK Open D in unusable

@ sidblevins and jc_x_c:

What you describe is not normal and should be repaired (hopefully under warranty). I suggest you each open a support ticket directly with Line 6 tech support. You can do that here:

http://line6.com/support/tickets/add.html

Before you do so, I can suggest one thing. Record a sample of the alternate tuning that is problematic. In many cases this is an apparent (not an actual) problem that is caused by the player hearing both the alternate tuning and the natural acoustic resonance of the standard-tuning string. Although this natural resonance is not being produced by the guitar it is actually quite noticeable to your ear. Even though you think your amp/PA is loud enough to drown it out - it isn't. The only way to really be sure that this is a problem is to playback a recording. The natural string resonance will not be present in a recording. If your recording demonstrates the problem then you can be sure that it is actually a malfunction of the guitar, and it should be repaired.

I get what you are saying about the harmonics with the normaly tuned strings on the guitar and I didn't hear this when I demoed in the shop playing through an enormous Orange rig in a booth. However, I can't play like this in a home situation I have the rest of the family and the neigbours to think of ;-)

I will try out the recording thing, will also try playing with in ear headphones. Sadly,the alternate tunnings and particularly open tunings are the primary reason I bought the guitar :-( It's such a shame becuase it is a beautifully crafted instrument and lovely to play, in facy much much better than the Roland V-Stratocaster

@ sidblevins and jc_x_c:

What you describe is not normal and should be repaired (hopefully under warranty). I suggest you each open a support ticket directly with Line 6 tech support. You can do that here:
http://line6.com/support/tickets/add.html

Before you do so, I can suggest one thing. Record a sample of the alternate tuning that is problematic. In many cases this is an apparent (not an actual) problem that is caused by the player hearing both the alternate tuning and the natural acoustic resonance of the standard-tuning string. Although this natural resonance is not being produced by the guitar it is actually quite noticeable to your ear. Even though you think your amp/PA is loud enough to drown it out - it isn't. The only way to really be sure that this is a problem is to playback a recording. The natural string resonance will not be present in a recording. If your recording demonstrates the problem then you can be sure that it is actually a malfunction of the guitar, and it should be repaired.

OK so after: recoding the guitar, manually tuning to Open G and Open D, and playing very loud (everybody out of the house) and talking to Line6 tech support everything is working as it should :(
 I am hearing harmonics between the natural tuning on the guitar and the modeled tuning from the amp when playing at normal home/family volumes

Suggestions from Line6 play loud, play loud with headphones, try noise cancelling headphones, Very sad, when I described to the shop what I wanted to use the guitar for and the features that were important.

I'd have to characterize this as marketing and training issue...kind of spoiling a really good product by selling it to the wrong customer. I haven't decided yet if the guitar is going back to the store or not

Thanks for the help

I get what you are saying about the harmonics with the normaly tuned strings on the guitar and I didn't hear this when I demoed in the shop playing through an enormous Orange rig in a booth. However, I can't play like this in a home situation I have the rest of the family and the neigbours to think of ;-)

I will try out the recording thing, will also try playing with in ear headphones. Sadly,the alternate tunnings and particularly open tunings are the primary reason I bought the guitar :-( It's such a shame becuase it is a beautifully crafted instrument and lovely to play, in facy much much better than the Roland V-Stratocaster