Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500 midi capabilities

evh5150combo

One of the most frustrating things about the hd500 (in my opinion) is the number of the footswitch avaiable if you use it with midi. I'll try to explain: I'm using it with my evh5150 iii with a 4CM. If I don't use midi to switch channels i can have presets selectable with the bottom raw of switches and have many different effects on every preset. BUT if I use MIDI for switching channels, I MUST copy the same preset for all the channels. Reading the M13 manual, I've discovered that it's possible to use a button for selecting scenes/fx. Is it possible to make this with HD500? I really would like to use its midi capabilities only when I want for switching channels and use the bottom raw to switch between presets.

Evh

Does this help: http://line6.com/support/topic/2981-pod-hd-500-midi-controlling-an-evh-5150-iii-50-watt-amp/

I haven't watched the videos as I don't use 4CM or a MIDI controlled Amp, but I do know a bit about MIDI on an HD500...

First if you change the Global MIDI channel on the HD500 from 1 to anything else the Amp will ignore the default Program Change messages that the HD500 always emits - this means it won't change patches when you change HD500 patches.

Then if you want to change Amp Patches you will need to explicitly define a Program Change message to be sent on Channel 1 when you press a switch. But because that is part of an HD500 patch you will need to duplicate that setting on every HD500 patch you use.

I personally would have a generic as possible HD500 patch containing an emulation of your main Pedal Board stuff and using FS 5-8 mode free all 8 switches to control effects on/off and amp channels (a single switch can turn on/off any number of effects and send a dedicated MIDI message).  You might need a few additional patches for special songs, but I would expect that 90% + of a gig can be covered without changing HD patches at all.

• Upvote 1

Well, how can i say: THANK YOU!. What I needed to know is just this: "First if you change the Global MIDI channel on the HD500 from 1 to anything else the Amp will ignore the default Program Change messages that the HD500 always emits - this means it won't change patches when you change HD500 patches".

In this way I can select the FS 5-8 mode and control amp switching and have patches on the bottom switches RAW. I did not know that it was possible to disable the default program change messages. GREAT.

thank you again.