Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

MORE COMPARABLE TO AXE FX2...

solars1977

We L6 (User Forums) won't know until L6 makes an official announcement.

L6 obviously know, but L6 employees will never post anything more than the vaguest hints because it is commercially sensitive

Beta Testers who are testing it will also know (if it exists), but they will post no more than the L6 employees, and normally less because they have a gagging clause in the beta test agreement... and if you were testing such a device you wouldn't want to ruin that position would you.

In fact the only chance I can see of getting any information is if somebody attends the "Open House" and happens to see something that they were not supposed to see... but even that information will be highly suspect; I mean would you know the difference between an HD500 prototype and an HD2000 prototype? It is very unlikely to have any useful markings on it!

I am wondering when we will see a product more comparable to axe fx. I have heard rumors. Or are they bs?

Yeah—I've heard the rumors too, and frankly, there's nothing to them. Fractal makes a great box—a couple Line 6ers even own one—but we have zero interest in making a super-deep $2500 modeler and $750 controller for it. That's just not our market.

Yes, we're working on lots of stuff—including gear for studio and touring professionals—but it's Line 6 stuff. We don't follow.

• Upvote 5

Yeah—I've heard the rumors too, and frankly, there's nothing to them. Fractal makes a great box—a couple Line 6ers even own one—but we have zero interest in making a super-deep $2500 modeler and $750 controller for it. That's just not our market.

Yes, we're working on lots of stuff—including gear for studio and touring professionals—but it's Line 6 stuff. We don't follow.

That last sentence should be your new tagline.

• Upvote 2

Honestly, good. I'm not paying 3.5k for a modeler. One of the things I like about modeling is that usually despite how much it offers, it's usually very affordable. 

I agree.  Honestly....Uncle Ted said it the best: "I can plug into a squirrel's lollipop and get great tone".  I get the same basic tone...whether I'm plugged into a PRS head, a Bogner, anything Line 6, Fractal, an $850 amp or a $3500 amp, etc.  It doesn't matter.  It all depends if the user has the trained ear enough and the expertise to EQ a great tone.  Typically at a gig....musicians in the crowd assume I'm runnng a soldano or a bogner or a fractal....when I'm running my HD500x into whichever power source.  Love it.  Love that I can get the same tone and feel for $500 and it's easily replaceable if/when it goes down. 

• Upvote 2

Kemper is almost a reasonable price.  AXE is out of the ballpark.

Maybe if the PODHD had cheap dual processors which would allow it to run better IRs then I think it could give Kemper and AXE some serious competition.  One of those things where it's close enough to sounding the same for way less money.  But that's new hardware... which it's almost time to consider that anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

If they charged 1,000.00 for a pod everyone would think they are as good. I can get my pod HD,powerblock and Creamback cab to sound as good as anything I have heard from my freind's Ax FX2. Live behind a curtain, I'd bet money no one here could tell the difference.

Put a great player on a POD HD and a good one on a Ax fx and 99% of people would say the POD "sounded" better.

• Upvote 5

I have to agree with xxxsoundxxx.  I also develop and sell software.  On one of my apps I raised the price from $199 to $499 and didn't do a thing to it.  All of a sudden I got more sales.  People thought it must be good because it costs as much or more than the competition.  They actually told me that on several occasions.

Just giving my opinion, but i purchased an Axe FX 2 and sent it back within a week. If you compare the price of an HD500 to an Axe Fx 2, it's certainly not worth the difference, i can get tones on my POD HD500 that match/come close to the Axe. I was expecting there to be a major difference but other than having more amp models, more pedals and a few more amp configurations, is all that really worth nearly an extra £1500? Certainly not for me. 

• Upvote 2

I'm glad to hear that ;-)

Thanks

Just giving my opinion, but i purchased an Axe FX 2 and sent it back within a week. If you compare the price of an HD500 to an Axe Fx 2, it's certainly not worth the difference, i can get tones on my POD HD500 that match/come close to the Axe. I was expecting there to be a major difference but other than having more amp models, more pedals and a few more amp configurations, is all that really worth nearly an extra £1500? Certainly not for me. 

Seriously. There are VSTs that do more than that and cost less.

The thing is that you're paying for the hardware too, but is the Axe FX hardware really cost THAT much in reality instead of their price choice? I doubt it.

I don't want to start a flame here, but I own both L6 products and an AEII, and have played dozens of gigs with both companies' gear. Over the years, I've had two POD XTs die, an X3Live that had a mind of its own, and a DT-50 with a transformer fuse problem that required a return to CA.

On the other hand, the AEII seems bulletproof, not to mention the continuous stream of updates, new amps, new effects, new cabs, etc.

Just sayin'...there is some "getting what you pay for" here...

I've used POD devices for over 10 years playing live and the only time it ever had an issue was due to a bad ground at the venue I was performing at burned out some caps - but it still made it through the gig, just had a hum.  An authorized Line6 repair center fixed it for me in 3 days for $80.

But I understand what verlew is saying.  I make sure I'm extremely careful handling the PODs.  But then again I'm also extremely careful handling my Marshalls too - tube break easy, especially when hot.

I don't want to start a flame here, but I own both L6 products and an AEII, and have played dozens of gigs with both companies' gear. Over the years, I've had two POD XTs die, an X3Live that had a mind of its own, and a DT-50 with a transformer fuse problem that required a return to CA.

On the other hand, the AEII seems bulletproof, not to mention the continuous stream of updates, new amps, new effects, new cabs, etc.

Just sayin'...there is some "getting what you pay for" here...

That's one thing I don't like about Line 6. They have a very bad quality control, if any. Normally a seriouse company doo intense quality checks before the gear left the factory. I never had any issue with the PODs I had (I had them all from the bean to the HD500) but with guitars I had no luck. Had a Variax 600 that changed presets on it's own all the time. Have a James Tyler that has electronic issues and bad paintig job. I asked the support if there are shipped some B-Stock Items from the factory and they just told me that it is possible that there are guitars with some issues around. No solution for that. That is a no go for a professional company. I'll stick with the PODs because I like them and always was very lucky with them.

• Upvote 1

You work for line-6?  ;)

No unfortunatley I don't ;-).

But I had a lot of Line 6 Gear and quiet some experience with their support. And had 2 out of 3 Guitars I had where bad - so eighter I'm very unfortunate or they don't do a good quality check

• Upvote 1

That's not always true.  I have a software product that I've been selling for several years.  One day, just for the hell of it, I doubled the price.  People had been telling me that it was underpriced anyway.  Sales jumped up quite a bit for about 6 months, then went back to normal.  Maybe I need to raise the price again. 

Damn it, now if Line6 raises the price it'll be my fault.

I would really like to hear a blind test between Axe Kemper Pod HD well even Boss GT and some other 

Not a test where they choose a Mesa Vox Orange or Marshall and the "right" matching cab and just play i want the tester to try to MATCH the tones as much as they can..

No effects 

Then do the same with effects 

I have seen on Y-tube some shootouts where the tester just choose a different AMP on one unit and then compare the units how smart is that?

And also played different? and how likely is it that they will sound different?

If it is gonna be a FAIR test DI a track in a Daw well it can be done in Audacity then play it back routing the signal to the units 

What i heard so far on y-tube i will say that the effects is better on AXE but then again it can be just the video using plugins or studio outboard added after the video was done who knows?

You can fool anyone today with the technology available