Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Peavey 5150 / Hd500 Volume issue

roesler13

hello everybody, I'm having a bit of a problem achieving high volume with my hd 500 hooked up to my peavey 5150 using the four cable method. At the moment when my pod is hooked up I can talk over my amp at max volume. There is no problem with how it sounds, just the volume.

When increasing the lead post volume with the pod hooked up, I hear my amp get more distorted and noisy, but the guitar volume stays the same.

Settings:

The master volume on my pod is 100% with the 1/4" out settings set to amp, and guitar in set to normal.

Guitar -> pod guitar in

pod fx send -> amp guitar in

Pod R/mono -> amp return

Pod fx return -> amp fx send

Did you try center balancing your mixer?

hello everybody, I'm having a bit of a problem achieving high volume with my hd 500 hooked up to my peavey 5150 using the four cable method. At the moment when my pod is hooked up I can talk over my amp at max volume. There is no problem with how it sounds, just the volume.

When increasing the lead post volume with the pod hooked up, I hear my amp get more distorted and noisy, but the guitar volume stays the same.

Settings:

The master volume on my pod is 100% with the 1/4" out settings set to amp, and guitar in set to normal.

Guitar -> pod guitar in

Pod R/mono -> amp return

Settings:

Guitar -> pod guitar in

Pod R/mono -> amp return

Probably a typo but it should be:

Guitar -> pod guitar in

amp FX send -> pod fx return

Pod R/mono -> amp fx return

give it a whirl...

also, be sure that the POD FX switch is set to Line as is the switch beside the expression pedal.  Check to see that the FX send and return levels are turned up, check if there is a send/return level adjustment on the 5150 too.  Silly question but, is the 5150 full volume with just the guitar in (no POD or pedals)?

Hey thanks for the reply. Yea that's the way my cables are hooked up. I tried changing it to line in but didn't seem to change much.

Yes, without the pod if the post goes above 1 or 2 it's impossible to talk over.

The mixer settings are panned center.

Sorry but you didn't say if you checked the POD FX loop send and return levels.  I know this sounds dumb but is the POD FX loop block turned on?  It sounds like maybe the guitar signal is going straight to the amp FX return without going through the 5150 preamp...  It has happened to me before where I put the block in the chain but forgot to turn it on...

Try these patches I use:

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/496052/

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/496053/

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/496054/

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/496055/

Reach out to me if you have any questions.

One thing to rmember is that the Post Volume on the amp is before the FX send.... not after the FX return on the amp. You may be doing something in the POD that is keeping the volume low and now know it. Are you using amp sims in the POD?

If it helps, here is a video I did with the presets above.

Good luck.

• Upvote 1