Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4 Cable Method with AmpliFi FX100??

taleslr

Hi guys,

I see that FX100 doesn't have FX loop outputs. I would like to have the possibility of not use any effect from FX100 and just use my Amp sound.

Can I use the AMP OUT from FX100 direct on the guitar in from my amp, with NO effects on the bank for a 100% amp sound. Using a ABY pedal send the AMP OUT to the Return FX loop to bypass my amp preamp, using a guitar effect from FX100.

Is there other way of doing this?

BR

Tales Ribeiro

Run the the Main Out(s) to your AMP's FX return.

Build you patches with No AMP/Cab sim.

With this method you get the color of your AMP's preamp, power amp, and Cab with only the effects of the FX100.

Edited by Triryche
strike out error

Run the the Main Out(s) to your AMP's FX return.

Build you patches with No AMP/Cab sim.

With this method you get the color of your AMP's preamp, power amp, and Cab with only the effects of the FX100.

But if i want a full emulated sound from FX100 and no color from my Amp's preamp??

My mistake, the method bypasses your AMP's preamp.

So if you want either all your AMP or the FX100's amp models and effects...

I would run your guitar to the an A/B box and have A go to the front of your AMP and B to the FX100 with the Main Out(s) to the AMP's FX return.

The AMP out on the FX100 is EQed for the front of an amp, and by the time you tweak your amp's setting to make that sound good, the FX return will likely sound poor.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I see that FX100 doesn't have FX loop outputs. I would like to have the possibility of not use any effect from FX100 and just use my Amp sound.

Can I use the AMP OUT from FX100 direct on the guitar in from my amp, with NO effects on the bank for a 100% amp sound. Using a ABY pedal send the AMP OUT to the Return FX loop to bypass my amp preamp, using a guitar effect from FX100.

Is there other way of doing this?

BR

Tales Ribeiro

Your guitar input on the amp would also get affected by FX-100 - unless your amp has some sort of effects send you could turn off on that guitar input?  If you have two inputs on your amp you could use your AB switch into each input, putting the FX-100 in line on one side.

I think the main issue is - unless this is some as of yet undocumented feature - there is no way to turn off *just* the mic simulation in the signal chain. I don't know that for sure, and the manual is AWOL, so... Not sure. The basic concept of using the amp's FX return, is to just tap the signal from the board directly into a power amp, bypassing the amps' preamp / tone stack. Did this for a long time, with my HD500. The key with the HD500, is you can turn off the mic model  - combo poweramp mode, vs with the mic model on - studio/direct. I think with the Amplifi, they haven't spelled out that option - yet. It might be possible, or it may be an added feature, who knows. I'd say consult the manual, but there isn't one. Yet.

The AMP out on the FX100 is EQed for the front of an amp

Is it just EQ'd or did they also turn off the mic model in that guitar amp signal? I've been wondering about that for a while. It was a core component of all the previous POD's and such; looks like it went a different route in the Amplifi. Not a big deal, I don't think the Amplifi or the FX100 are really intended to be overly versatile, in that regard. The 'Amplifi' line offers a very different type of functional creativity experience.

'Not intended for Stage' would be an accurate description. Seems like a lot of the questions I read about the FX100 and the Amplifi could be categorized as "how do I make this gear do what the previous POD, X3 and HD500 can do?" Short answer appears to be, "you can't, go buy an HD500x".

More specifically, if you want:

-To use the 4-cable method

-HD amp models

-M class FX models

-XLR input

-XLR outputs

-Variax input

-Output modes (IE, disable mic modeling, while keeping amp and cabinet modeling) 

-FX loop

-Line6 Link output

-Direct to computer / DAW via USB recording option / Soundcard option

...then Amplifi and FX100 are not for you.

However, if you already have a main rig, or that other gear as mentioned, and you want something that can do what the Amplifi and FX100 can do, which those other options cannot do, such as:

-Bluetooth speaker / wireless mp3 streaming

-Tone matching via the Cloud

-Remote app (actually looks really cool, I checked out the Android version!)

Then I am sure it's an awesome option. But not if you want to do more complex routing options.

I far as I can tell, selecting no cab is the only way to disable the mic sim.

IIRC changing cab sims did affect the AMP out sound which would imply the mic sim is on, I will double check this weekend if someone doesn't beat me to it.

But yeah, given the price point, the feature set of the AMPLIFi line seems like a reasonable offering.

I think Line6 wanted to be first to market with this concept.