Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500X and DT25

cdip72

Hi guys,
I use the POD HD500X with the DT25 combo through xlr cable. I love the sound of DT25 without POD, but my POD's patches don't work good with DT25. I tried any combination and now I use only pre simulation, with or without cab simulation. When I play alone, the sounds seem good, but I don't like them when I play with my band. Both clean that distortion sounds disappear in the groove of the band.
Do any of you uses the POD HD with DT25 and may share his patches with me ? It would be enough a clean (fender) patch, a crunch one, a distortion '80 and a lead distortion patch.
I use humbucker pickup "dimarzio transition" for neck and bridge.
I would understand if the problem is the POD or if the problem is me :-)

I tried different EQ , but the sound is never really good in the mix.
Normally I boost the mids frequency, specially on the lead sounds .
I will try to boost the mids of all sounds, but I don't think that's the problem.
thanks

There are other answers on this topic so do look around. For what it's worth I've found the following for live work:

- check you're using the preamp only settings for the amps

- don't overdo noise reduction or compression as they tend to sap energy and dynamics.

- don't overdo high distortion - leave a clean edge to cut through

- Keep the amp volume level high and turn the master on the HD500 down. 

- I tend not to use much, if any, EQ.  Simplify the chain if you can.  Frank Zappa once said the art was getting a good sound out of a guitar and amp without "flanging the p*** out of it!"

- Find a couple of amp sounds you like then build on those - as if they were real amps.  

- Generally - avoid extreme settings - they usually mean you're pushing something too far.

Good luck

• Upvote 1

There are other answers on this topic so do look around. For what it's worth I've found the following for live work:

OK. But do you use cab sim with preamp ?

- don't overdo noise reduction or compression as they tend to sap energy and dynamics.

Maybe I should reduce the compression ..

- don't overdo high distortion - leave a clean edge to cut through

OK

- Keep the amp volume level high and turn the master on the HD500 down. 

OK

- I tend not to use much, if any, EQ.  Simplify the chain if you can.  Frank Zappa once said the art was getting a good sound out of a guitar and amp without "flanging the p*** out of it!"

This, together with much compression, could be the problem

- Find a couple of amp sounds you like then build on those - as if they were real amps.  

- Generally - avoid extreme settings - they usually mean you're pushing something too far.

Good luck

I'll try your advices. Thanks

OK. But do you use cab sim with preamp ?

totally optional on the cab sims BUT, in your original post you seemed to indicate you really like the DT internal tones.  The DT internal all use cab and mic sims, the same defaults as when you load the pre in the POD so if you want to match the DT internal you need to use the cab and mic settings.

I use a DT25 head with my own 2X12 cabs with V30's and Guv'nors so sometimes I just like to hear my own cabs.  Other times I like to use the cab and mics to shape the tone.  Play around with the other cab and mic models to see what you like.  You can also use the cab DEP settings to further shape the tone.

Also don't be afraid to change the topology for the amp you pick.  There is a huge difference between topo I and topo III.  You are not tied to the default settings.

While there is no harm to putting the DT master up and the POD down, there is also no real difference.  We beat this to death when the change first came out allowing the POD master to control DT volumes and the end result is they both work together but it doesn't matter physically in the power section which is up and which is down.

Maybe the problem is just that: there are too many factors that affect the sound (topology, cab sim, mic, eq, etc.) And it takes a long time to build up the sound with the band.
I try these different solutions and I get the sound that I like, but in the band's mix, I do not like it anymore. The other members of the band will have to be very patient ..
For this reason I wanted to start from a sound already being used by some of you in a live, and then modify it to suit my needs.

Another solution could be to change the DT25 with a StageSource. Maybe the StageSource is easier to prepare the sounds in the headphones

There's loads of relevant stuff on here about inputs, mixer settings and all that deep stuff but there is one thing that got me where I wanted to be with tone and that is to program the patches at the volume they will be used at. That's not easy to be able to do!

I managed to set up my gear in a different room when my neighbours and family were out, used the looper for some riffs and cranked it up to unacceptably loud levels and tweaked away. I was surprised by some of my amp choices in the end. My basic tones ended up as Bassman with matching cab for clean , Treadplate with Blackback 30s for crunch and SLO with Greenbacks for lead. I used a graphic EQ block with a mild 'smile' setting on all to get it right.

They became my basic tones; the rest of the effects can be added and modified at various volumes without such issue. Strangely they don't sound bad at all when turned down!

• Upvote 1