Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Identify JTV 89 w/o Serial Number

Hello.  I've found a JTV 89 that "appears" to be a US model but it has no serial number or stamp on the back of the headstock.  It's blue, has the open Hipshot tuners and a chrome bridge (not black chrome).  Can anybody help me determine if this is a US or Korean model, or perhaps a prototype or beta-tester model.

Thanks!

Hello Rich!  Thank you for the information.  I'm glad to hear from you because I saw your name (and even your picture) pop up several times while searching for information about this guitar.  I figured if anyone would know about it you would.

I found it at Guitar Center.  I have a '69 but kind of wanted an '89 so I searched and found this at GC and I bought it.  I had never seen a blue one so I started digging around on the web and started to think this might be a USA model.  You've confirmed it!

Do you happen to know about when it was made and what changes might have been made to the 89US between the prototype and production models?  Different woods, different frets, different process, etc.  If you don't know that's fine, just thought I would ask to try and learn more about this thing.

Thank you very much for your time and information!

Hello Rich!  Thank you for the information.  I'm glad to hear from you because I saw your name (and even your picture) pop up several times while searching for information about this guitar.  I figured if anyone would know about it you would.

I found it at Guitar Center.  I have a '69 but kind of wanted an '89 so I searched and found this at GC and I bought it.  I had never seen a blue one so I started digging around on the web and started to think this might be a USA model.  You've confirmed it!

Do you happen to know about when it was made and what changes might have been made to the 89US between the prototype and production models?  Different woods, different frets, different process, etc.  If you don't know that's fine, just thought I would ask to try and learn more about this thing.

Thank you very much for your time and information!

Most likely that is from a year before we launched the JTV guitars. So early 2010. I think the only thing that changed was the color on the bridge. Otherwise it has all the killer stuff the USA has. How much did you grab it for?

Rich, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.  I think it's cool that this thing is kind of unique or rare or whatever.  It's got a little story behind it and that makes it more fun.  :)  How many of these do you think we're made?  For any other guitar I've owned the answer would probably be 'thousands.'  How cool is that?

I'm reluctant to share the price on the forum.  I will say that your information has made me feel like I made a really good purchase.  You've made my weekend!

Thank you!

Rich, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.  I think it's cool that this thing is kind of unique or rare or whatever.  It's got a little story behind it and that makes it more fun.  :)  How many of these do you think we're made?  For any other guitar I've owned the answer would probably be 'thousands.'  How cool is that?

I'm reluctant to share the price on the forum.  I will say that your information has made me feel like I made a really good purchase.  You've made my weekend!

Thank you!

Totally understand on the price. :) Thought of that after I posted. 

I believe we had maybe 20-30 beta guitars all together. So very few. And if you mean an 89 with a chrome instead of black chrome bridge, maybe 2 or 3 max. 

• 3 weeks later...

I found a little more information that I thought I'd share.  I think it's interesting.  :)

I removed the battery box and found the date 8-29-10, and the initials TW.  I've attached a picture.  I'd guess this means it was made on that date and maybe inspected or approved by Tim Wilson?

There is a good bit of wear on the guitar.  Some of the chrome is worn off the bridge, there is some fret wear, and some very minor buckle rash.  Signs of regular use, but not abuse.  I think it plays very well and sounds pretty good too!

Also, I found a note inside the case signed by "Grape" who I learned is a professional guitar and stage tech.  Per his resume he has worked with Ozzy Osbourne and Cirque Du Soliel since the date on the guitar.  I reached out to him and he replied that he knew the guitar very well but didn't say how or who had played it.  I can only speculate from there. :)

post-763849-0-12400100-1416845188_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

just saw this post today. But I have a JTV69 that has no serial #, Under the battery compartment I found written with a Sharpee : Beta # 7  3/12/10   TW.

I purchased the guitar from a journeyman guitarist (C. Witt) I was told that this was a US built prototype by Tim Wilson. I sure would like to get some confirmation of this.

Mark Fawcett