Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

StageScape m20d sudden loss of Audio Output!

We've had this issue for quite some time but it doesn't happen every single time we use the m20d stagescape so we've lived with it since it is solved by doing a power reset/cycle.

Here's the routine:

1. The m20d was sitting for days unused, you turn it on even do a sound check, everything works fine, then 20 or 30minutes later after the m20d just sat there idling, there's NO SOUND coming out, and no it does not seem "frozen", the interface works.

2. POWER-OFF and then Power-ON and after reboot it just works fine again.

I've had it one time recently where I was using it to test a new Sennheiser Wireless handheld microphone system and as I was walking back to disconnect the wireless I tried to talk in the microphone again and lo and behold no sound at all, I actually thought Oh No! I thought this sennheiser system was all the rave, and it craps out like that all the sudden!? But nope, I go back to the mixer, I think I even see bars move as I talk but no sound comes out. I reboot the m20d Stagescape and then voila it works again.

Others who use the system have experienced the same problem, sometimes after turning it on and having it sit idle, the sound dies and requires a REBOOT to bring it back.

Has anyone had similar problems with their m20d StageScape?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Where is that and how much time (and money, is it covered?) will it take? Its used on weekends mainly now. It was bought at GC, i do have quite a lot of various email threads with Arne,Jay R., Nick B., and Jonathan B. spanning some time but last couple of months or so I've not received any reply at all from anyone, that's why posted on here instead. thanks

I am sorry I missed that. We will contact you. You can also reach us by phone:

The US support team can be reached at 818-575-3600 (option 2), Mon-Fri 8am - 5 pm PST. Our busiest hours are from 11am to 2 pm.

The UK support team can be reached at +44 (0) 1788 566 555, Mon-Thurs 9am – 5pm GMT and Fri 9am – 4pm GMT.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My problem is slightly different but possible related.  I have a Neumann running in channel 1.  The mix sounds great but if I am not singing into it for a few minutes -- maybe even less than a minute -- the channel goes flat with a roll off in the volume and the dynamics of the mix.  Then after a second or two of singing into it it comes back to life, volume boosts back and effects kick in at the desired setting.  Any ideas what's up with that?

• 1 month later...

I´ve had mine for about 4 months now and I just love this mixer. I use it for the most 2 times a week. I´ve had the same problems as you guys but the last gig i had with Stagescape and 7 Pro Songwriters I thought that I have to do something here. What I experienced that day was the output sounded like it dropped in db, and it did, but it moved from both sides to the left side. People sitting close to the speakers started looking back at me. Not good at all! Just suddenly it popped back to both speakers. it did this for 6 or 7 times during this concert. I recorded the whole session but that was all good, lucky me. Now I´m afraid using it. I freaking love this little machine and what you can do to it. I really hope Line6 doesn´t sit on their asses and do nothing about this. I hope Line6 would clean up this mess and hopefully they will make a 24 channel next time. I will buy it, no doubt!

HELP ME LINE6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It might be down to the ribbon connections between the boards no longer making a good connection - I have had this problem with the Headphone socket that no amount of re-inserting and jiggling would change, and I had a similar problem with Stereo Pair inputs.

If yours is new and still under warranty then you should open a support ticket and let Line 6 help you, but if like me you have a pre-owned unit that is out of warranty and are reasonably competent electrically (or know somebody who is) then carefully opening the unit up and removing and re-inserting the ribbon connectors to the boards may get it all working again (perhaps with some contact cleaner).

http://line6.com/support/topic/6559-issue-volume-reduction-on-stereo-grouped-device/

• Upvote 1

As Rewolf has said, My first port of call would be the ribbon connectors .

Mine was cutting out and I lost complete trust in it using it Live.

My Tec put a very very weak glue on the ribbon connector and 6 months later not a single problem.

The design of the ribbon connector Is not great TBH , It's just a plastic compression clip.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I had the same issue with my MD20 and I’ve been troubleshooting it forever. I though it was my wireless receivers. I changed cables, handheld transmitters, and swapped channels. Two of them sound like there is a gate. When speaking into the mics they are very quiet until you yell loud in them and then they blhannel opens up and it’s fine for the time being. It may not happens again for a few minutes or an hour and maybe not even the next time you use them. You never know when it’s going to malfunction but it’s often. What can I do to fix this???

• 2 months later...

i have this problems too. sometimes when stagescape is switched on then after a time of five minutes ther is no sound on the output

switch off and on and now everything okay 

in other case somtimes it is like a gate suddenly one main channel is away and by pull more level it come back 

i have prooved all conectors inside but im now afraid to use the stagescape in live sessions 

has anyone an idea what this mistakes could be ?

im think it could be the mute button mute all  it seems that there is a relais witch connectors are not very good 

by time i will take a look at this .......

On 10/12/2018 at 8:19 AM, scottatjoy123 said:

I had the same issue with my MD20 and I’ve been troubleshooting it forever. I though it was my wireless receivers. I changed cables, handheld transmitters, and swapped channels. Two of them sound like there is a gate. When speaking into the mics they are very quiet until you yell loud in them and then they blhannel opens up and it’s fine for the time being. It may not happens again for a few minutes or an hour and maybe not even the next time you use them. You never know when it’s going to malfunction but it’s often. What can I do to fix this???

Fixed it. After talking to the local Line 6 tech on the phone I opened up the unit, unhooked a couple ribbon cables, all the ones I could get to anyway, sprayed some contact solution on there and reseated the ribbon cables. I haven’t had a dropout since and that was a couple months ago now. 

Fixed it. After talking to the local Line 6 tech on the phone I opened up the unit, unhooked a couple ribbon cables, all the ones I could get to anyway, sprayed some contact solution on there and reseated the ribbon cables. I haven’t had a dropout since and that was a couple months ago now. 

• 1 month later...

Hello, 

My stagescape has with left output main no sound, or a very very small sound.  When  reset power etc... the same problem. But sometimes , after 10 minutes, or 5 min,  the sound run good on the left main output. I thought its the connector or the speaker( i use electrovoice Elx115) but all is good.   And sometimes all runs good and soudainly no sound with cab in left output.The signal is ok, but no sound. 

Need to contact  support? Or its a software problem. I have the 1.20 version.

• 1 year later...

Hello 

on the top of this blog is the mistake sudden loss output .

I have the same problem too there is this switch for mute anything and there i can hear a relay switching 

when the mistake appears this switch does not work an the relay make no noise so i think that there is the mistake 

could someone tell me how i could easy open the stagescape and block the relay so that it is always on 

equal if the switch is pulled on or of ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2018 at 9:09 AM, scottatjoy123 said:

Fixed it. After talking to the local Line 6 tech on the phone I opened up the unit, unhooked a couple ribbon cables, all the ones I could get to anyway, sprayed some contact solution on there and reseated the ribbon cables. I haven’t had a dropout since and that was a couple months ago now. 

I might add Fixed Temporarily.  It lasted about 2 months before it started to malfunction again.  3-4 different channels were doing this.  Line 6 needs to recall these or fix for free. 

• 2 months later...

Our second M20d failed in this manner during our church service this last Sunday.  We suddenly lost all sound output while instrumentalists were playing (keyboard and cello).  I tried cycling the "Mute All" button with no reaction.  Turned power off and back on and everything worked again.  I will be opening a support ticket tomorrow after I obtain the serial number.  This is a new unit, received in March as a replacement for a defective M20d but not used for church services until late July.

• 3 months later...

The loss of audio signal to the Stagescape speakers seems to be a problem with the Stagescape M20d mixers Line 6 has never really adequately addressed.  This seems to be happening more often lately.  I tried changing from Line6 Link for the outputs to the main XLR outputs, but, that didn't make a difference.  I'm assuming the issue is internal to the mixer, which is what's been suggested previously in this thread. I also experienced issues with the M2 StageSource speakers similar to what was stated previously - sound only coming out of tweeters - , but, I was able to send those back to the retail dealer.  Again, I'm assuming it was more of a mixer issue and not really the speakers.   I understand this was one of the 1st digital mixers with this type of usability that was on the market.  However, I'm one of the unlucky early buyers who paid alot for this mixer.  Fortunately, I'm not gigging these days, so, it's just in my home studio.  I am thinking it may be time to move on from Line 6 Stagescape to a more current digital mixer offering that is more stable.  I know I'll lose the Line 6 Link capabilities, but, I'll just have to accpet that.  The overall concept was good however, that got lost in the reliability of the implementation. To be honest, I'm surprised these mixers are still being sold since there really hasn't been much in the way of solid support/updates for a few years now that address some of these underlying issues.  I guess Yamaha isn't that interested in supporting this segment of the Line 6 community.  I wish you all the best of luck! 

• 2 weeks later...

If you're in the UK and having this problem, I can usually sort this out for you. I've been hiring these desks out since they were first released. We only have 2 left now as we moved to the Yamaha TF1 as soon as they came out due to the regular maintenance required to prevent this issue. I only keep the ones I have because a couple of regular clients won't change to the TFs, physical size issue!! That said they aren't hiring at the moment here anyways so I might just off load them!! If you need help or advice pm me.

• 10 months later...
On 12/29/2020 at 3:10 PM, SmiffyG said:

If you're in the UK and having this problem, I can usually sort this out for you. I've been hiring these desks out since they were first released. We only have 2 left now as we moved to the Yamaha TF1 as soon as they came out due to the regular maintenance required to prevent this issue. I only keep the ones I have because a couple of regular clients won't change to the TFs, physical size issue!! That said they aren't hiring at the moment here anyways so I might just off load them!! If you need help or advice pm me.

Where in the UK are you? I’ve had a channel drop out, but seemed to work the next time I used the desk.

• 5 months later...

We bought our Stagescape in 2018 I think. For the past year or more it has been cutting out once a few minutes after starting up. Our device is in a church and is never moved. My current working theory is that there's some heat expansion that occurs that somehow trips an internal breaker or relay. My reasoning for this is we've been able to hear it click and we know that the output is gone and we need to reboot it. The past couple of months it has been doing it 2 or 3 times so we read everything here, opened it up, and discovered that all of our ribbon cable connectors are hot glued (or something similar). I'm unsure if Line6 made a change in manufacturing or if this was resold to us because of this issue.

Now, it is doing it between 1 to 5 times. Once a few minutes after turning it on is manageable (though not ideal). Now, it's too much. I think opening it up made it worse (which reinforces the ribbon cable connector issue. But based on the click, I still think it's some part of the safety system being tripped. All of our audio out that we have hooked up (two mains and three monitors all through xlr) cuts out but the headphone out still works.

• 4 months later...
On 7/27/2022 at 7:29 PM, juanmanuelpalma said:

POSIBLE SOLUCION , viendo que muchos usuarios tuvieron el mismo problema , y los primeros comentarios aqui son del año 2014 , se me ocurrio probar volver mi Stagescape al firmware 1.10 , con lo cual llevo varios dias probando la mezcladora 3 veces por dia , por un lapso de 2 hs. cada vez , y no volvio a repetirse la falla , cuando antes con el firmware 1.20 , siempre se cortaba el audio después de unos minutos de encenderla y volvía reiniciandola. Esto permite suponer que hay un problema de programación en el firmware o una sobrecarga al procesador de la mezcladora , aclaro que al usar el firmware 1.10 , ya no esta disponible la opción de la pantalla de faders , pero el mezclador se comporta mas agil en todas sus funciones y en la respuesta a los comandos. Una vez mas le pido a Line6 que actualize el firmware ya que la ultima version del firmware es del año 2013 , y a partir de ahi comenzaron los problemas. Seguramente un firmware apropiado solucionaria el problema.

Tengo la misma mezcladora y se interrumpe el sonido después de unas dos horas de uso..pensé que era un tema electrico ., interesante la solución que propones , no te ha vuelto a fallar después de volver al firmware 1.10?? Gracias !

• 5 months later...

A little bit late to this party but....

If you're happy opening the M20 up then do so. Remove the ribbon connectors and clean them with a good contact cleaner, let them dry and re seat them.

There is a ground that can also get oxidised. On ours I've actual soldered a wire to it and grounded it to the chassis.

A 3rd problem is how close the boards are to the case, so whilst it's apart line the case with a non conductive material.

Regular maintenance of this type is the ONLY way to avoid the problems being described here. This whole range was a great idea but I fear that since Yamaha got involved most of the really innovative stuff has been put out to graze. I have a TF1 and there's a load of stuff on there that for me shows why they went after Line 6.