Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500 Patches Won't Pan Hard Left And Right

stratchamp

So whenever I use two amps in a patch on the HD500, I am unable to pan them hard left and right for true stereo sound.  I have the inputs setup like this: Input 1, Guitar; Input 2, Same.  Both channels in the mixer are set at 0db, which is default.  The left channel, or amp "a", will pan all the way left like it should, but the right channel, amp "b", will not pan hard right like it should.  

I remember when I first purchased the HD500 they would pan hard left and right just fine, but now they will not.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

just in case, are you using 2 cables to connect your POD outputs to the mixer, and also are both cables ok?

Actually, I was talking about the internal mixer in the HD500.  But yes, I have two cables connected to the left and right outputs of the pod going into a small mixer that is able to run stereo.

ok, then, if you HD500 mixer pan settings are set as you want (hard L and R for path A an B respectively) for me it means the problem is in the connections to your external mixer or in its settings

I don't think the external mixer I'm connecting it to is the problem, because even when I connect the headphones the "phones" output on the pod, the problem still exists. 

I think I'm going to try a factory reset and see if that fixes the problem.

I appreciate the help, but even without using any effects it still won't pan left and right like it should.  

The patch I am trying to upload has the twin reverb on channel "a", and the Hiwatt on channel "b."  Both are the same volume and are panned left and right respectively.  I have input 1 guitar, and input 2 "same."  So with those settings and the pan knobs 100% left and right, the sound is still in the center. I know it's not my headphones because music will play just fine in stereo.  

Hi Stratchamp. Please post your preset. Before you attach the file you must rename the file extender from .h5e to .pdf or so! You can also upload it temporarily in Customtone and give us the link. Later you can delete the file again from Customtone.

Then we will see if your preset is ok. If it is then you can try a firmware reflash without keeping your presets, finally do a Global Reset and Pedal Calibration, and finally take a look at  at your System settings (ps: Factory Reset is only in HD300/400).

If you do so, you should not forget to save all your presets over HD500 Edit as a bundle before.

Ok, here is the patch.  It's just a basic dual amp setup with no other effects added.  Even with the pan controls left and right, it still is dead center through my headphones.  Feel free to make any adjustments if I am not doing it correctly.  Remember, I am trying to get amp "a" to pan hard left and amp "b" to pan hard right for a separate stereo sound.

Thanks for the help so far.

Dual Amp Test.zip

Hi Stratchamp,

Your preset is o.k.. My Pod HD 500 does pan hard left and hard right with your file, so I can hear amp 1 only left side, and amp 2 only on right side.

Please save your presets as a bundle over HD500 Edit software, then do a Global Reset and Pedal Calibration.

http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2222

http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2223

If this doesn't help then do a firmware reflash saying NOT to keep your presets, then again Global Reset and Pedal Calibration.

Ps.: You amp's volume knobs here are not loud enough. You can turn the volume knobs higher. I'd say at least 50%.

Hi Stratchamp,

Your preset is o.k.. My Pod HD 500 does pan hard left and hard right with your file, so I can hear amp 1 only left side, and amp 2 only on right side.

Please save your presets as a bundle over HD500 Edit software, then do a Global Reset and Pedal Calibration.

http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2222

http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2223

If this doesn't help then do a firmware reflash saying NOT to keep your presets, then again Global Reset and Pedal Calibration.

Ps.: You amp's volume knobs here are not loud enough. You can turn the volume knobs higher. I'd say at least 50%.

Thanks, I'll try a reset and report back.

I reset the firmware on my pod, did a global reset, and calibrated the expression pedal. After messing around, I found that when using two clean amps in stereo, it sounds like it is center. When using two medium gain amps in stereo, I get the separation that I want. Thanks again for the help.

Mods can mark this thread as "solved."

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This happened with a patch of mine tonight.  I actually have a couple of others with the same issue, I just decided to try to solve this one tonight.

Anyway, after I did the obvious settings checks, mono-sum, etc., still couldn't figure out why it would not spread out.  I had 2 empty FX blocks at the end of my chain so I dragged one behind the amp in Ch A and Bang! There they were, both channels panned hard in both the left and right sides.  I don't get it.  But it works now.

• 2 months later...