Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Set up and place hd500-pedal- fx loop dt25

navipe

Hi everyone....I would like to know how to connect my HD500 and a pedal into FX loop effects to the amp DT25....i know the 4 method cable...but I don´t know where is the correct place for a pedal that I want in FX loop DT25.

i´m sorry if it isn´t the thread correct.

Thanks advanced.

First off, no disrespect but, why would you want to put the HD500 in the DT effects loop?  Why not use the L6 link and get what this was designed to do?  You lose so much by not using the L6 link that it just makes no sense.  Please don't say the amp sounds better by itself because that is simply not true.  You may have to make a few adjustments with the POD but they are the exact same amps, cabs, and mics in the POD as in the DT. 

Use the HD500 like it was designed with L6 link and put your pedal in the HD500 FX loop.  Then you can place it wherever you think is best for each patch.

One other thing, if you put a pedal in the FX loop of the DT it can't be moved in the patch.  I am not even totally sure where it would be in the chain with the POD connected with L6 link, probably after the full POD signal path but before the DT power section.  That would really preclude using any overdrives or distortions.  Kind of limited to delays, reverbs, chorus type effects and even then, not movable in the signal chain.

• Upvote 1

First off, no disrespect but, why would you want to put the HD500 in the DT effects loop?  Why not use the L6 link and get what this was designed to do?  You lose so much by not using the L6 link that it just makes no sense.  Please don't say the amp sounds better by itself because that is simply not true.  You may have to make a few adjustments with the POD but they are the exact same amps, cabs, and mics in the POD as in the DT. 

Use the HD500 like it was designed with L6 link and put your pedal in the HD500 FX loop.  Then you can place it wherever you think is best for each patch.

One other thing, if you put a pedal in the FX loop of the DT it can't be moved in the patch.  I am not even totally sure where it would be in the chain with the POD connected with L6 link, probably after the full POD signal path but before the DT power section.  That would really preclude using any overdrives or distortions.  Kind of limited to delays, reverbs, chorus type effects and even then, not movable in the signal chain.

Thanks for the answer .... first of all I think I have explained my post wrong ... I totally agree with everything you say, and all you say I also do ... All I want is to explore more alternatives and use a pedal that will be fixed in the effects chain before delays and reverbs. The pedal in question that I want to, is a clone of the preamp section of known korg sd3000. And all I want is to make the connection of the pedal, the way I'm asking, and I want to see the difference this can affect the sound and tone, and finally see the result and choose what best listen to my ears. I use the 4 cable method and L6 link at the same time, and yes I hear differences ... maybe other users are in agreement, I accept all criticism and I'm on this forum to learn from all your experiences, because the point of all this is to improve and find the best performance of our gears. So, I want to connect my pedal with my HD500 and use it with my DT25 FXLoop, and my question is how to make the connections.

OK, I think I understand now what you want to do.  You want to use an external preamp with your HD500 and your DT25.  The problem is if you do not have an amp block selected, the DT defaults to channel B internal amp which messes up your patch. 

Here is my suggestion.  Connect the HD500 to the DT25 by L6 link only.  Connect the preamp pedal to the FX loop of the HD500, not the DT25.  Now you need to create a dual path patch. In path A you will place an preamp block to lock the DT power section to work with your pedal. Edit the topology, class, and pentode/triode the way you want it but don't worry about any other settings for now.  Leave the preamp block in channel B empty but add your FX loop either before or after it (doesn't matter).  Now in the mixer mute channel A and center channel B.  Place your pre section effects where you want them and place your post section effects after the mixer.  Set input 1 to something different to what you are using and set input 2 to guitar or variax, whichever you are using.

So now your guitar signal comes in on input 2, goes through the pre section effects, through your pedal in channel B and the post effects and goes straight to the DT by L6 link.  Channel A does nothing except lock the DT power section and cab/mic models to work with your pedal. No need for 4 cable stuff, just the one cable to your DT and everything else right at the POD. 

Hope this helps!

• Upvote 1

OK, I think I understand now what you want to do.  You want to use an external preamp with your HD500 and your DT25.  The problem is if you do not have an amp block selected, the DT defaults to channel B internal amp which messes up your patch. 

Here is my suggestion.  Connect the HD500 to the DT25 by L6 link only.  Connect the preamp pedal to the FX loop of the HD500, not the DT25.  Now you need to create a dual path patch. In path A you will place an preamp block to lock the DT power section to work with your pedal. Edit the topology, class, and pentode/triode the way you want it but don't worry about any other settings for now.  Leave the preamp block in channel B empty but add your FX loop either before or after it (doesn't matter).  Now in the mixer mute channel A and center channel B.  Place your pre section effects where you want them and place your post section effects after the mixer.  Set input 1 to something different to what you are using and set input 2 to guitar or variax, whichever you are using.

So now your guitar signal comes in on input 2, goes through the pre section effects, through your pedal in channel B and the post effects and goes straight to the DT by L6 link.  Channel A does nothing except lock the DT power section and cab/mic models to work with your pedal. No need for 4 cable stuff, just the one cable to your DT and everything else right at the POD. 

Hope this helps!

Okay, I'll try this configuration...I'll tell you when I try it, as it was. I hope I have correctly understood the whole explanation...
But really all I want is easier than it is, in my opinion, and this is putting my pedal, delays and reverbs through the FX loop of the DT25.

The key to what Radatats has told you is this: the FX Loop in the HD500 can be MOVED in a per-patch basis. It can also be switched on or off with a footswitch assignment, which can be very useful.

By using the HD500 effects loop, you can position that outboard FX pedal in the optimal position, if you put it in the DT25 fx loop, it will come after all the HD500 effects, which may not be what you want.

ALSO, with the HD500 FX loop, you can set the signal as stomp box level or line level. You also have control over both the send and return levels of the FX loop. The DT25 FX loop does not offer any of those options. The HD500 effects loop can be run in mono or stereo, the DT25 effects loop is mono only.

That Korg SDD-3000 pedal, is it a digital delay pedal? I would put that in the HD500 FX loop, set the signal strength to 'stomp' (not line level), and I would place the FX loop block near the end or at the end of the signal chain.

Yet another benefit of using the HD500 fx loop, the Korg will be sent through the HD500 looper. 

The key to what Radatats has told you is this: the FX Loop in the HD500 can be MOVED in a per-patch basis. It can also be switched on or off with a footswitch assignment, which can be very useful.

By using the HD500 effects loop, you can position that outboard FX pedal in the optimal position, if you put it in the DT25 fx loop, it will come after all the HD500 effects, which may not be what you want.

ALSO, with the HD500 FX loop, you can set the signal as stomp box level or line level. You also have control over both the send and return levels of the FX loop. The DT25 FX loop does not offer any of those options. The HD500 effects loop can be run in mono or stereo, the DT25 effects loop is mono only.

That Korg SDD-3000 pedal, is it a digital delay pedal? I would put that in the HD500 FX loop, set the signal strength to 'stomp' (not line level), and I would place the FX loop block near the end or at the end of the signal chain.

Yet another benefit of using the HD500 fx loop, the Korg will be sent through the HD500 looper. 

It is indeed what I want. Put the pedal, in this case the FX Block, after the effects chain and just before the delay and reverb .... this pedal is a clone of the preamp section of the famous Korg SDD-3000 delay and ... put it this way boost the delay ... and put it in the FX Loop of the amp ... so the delay is much more clearly .... but this is to see how acts and have another choice of settings.

I just want to try it to see how it is this configuration ...

Yeah, I use an M13 in the FX loop of the HD500, and usually run it at the end of the HD500 signal chain, before the looper. 

Mostly for extra delays and reverbs, stuff like that. Sometimes I program the FX loop block in the 'pre' amp model position to get extra drives, comps, and autowahs.

I run the FX loop in stereo - the send from the HD500 is a single jack but it's stereo so you use a TRS or insert cable; I've got a pair of cables I use specifically for that. One is TRS/stereo or whatever that is to a pair of mono L/R 1/4" jacks. The other cable is just two mono 1/4" L/R jacks on each end.

Navipe, I also have two of the SDD-3000 clone pedals, and just picked up the new Korg SDD-3000 pedal(re-issue of the original rack mount). I have a dream rig setup that I use this with. I'll send you some of my HD500 patches for you to try.

Jd

Navipe,

Here is one of my patches for using the SDD-3000 clone in the FX loop of my HD500x. I changed the extention to ".txt" so the attachment will go through. You'll have to change it to ".h5e" so that you can upload it to your HD500. 

Let me know if this helps you out or not. 

Jd

Bad U2's The Edge.txt