Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

dumb question: mesa cab clone with DT-25?

the_bees_knees22

So since the DT-25 bypasses the tubes when using the direct out, has anyone tried something like the mesa cab clone so you can actually use the tubes when recording?

I haven't looked so maybe line 6 has something similar?

edit:  it probably wouldn't really buy me much in terms of tone when recording direct.  I was just curious.

Yeah, that's what I meant.  But to turn it fully on, (not on standby), then it will be outputting sound to the cab which my neighbors won't appreciate too much.  

edit:  And it's not a good idea to disconnect the head from the cab anytime to you turn it on right?  (might be a dumb question.  It's my 1st tube amp)

DT25 does not bypass the tubes with direct out unless you are in STBY... otherwise the direct out is tapped off the output transformer after the tubes... :)

yeah, that's what I thought.  I wonder if there's a way around it to have a load that's not outputting to an actual cab.   

Ideally, I want to be able to turn the amp fully on so I can use the tubes with the direct out, but not actually be plugged into a cab.  

Otherwise there is the mesa cab clone.. but then I don't get the cab sim from the dt25 direct out which I think I'd rather have.

I wonder if there's a way around it to have a load that's not outputting to an actual cab.  

a tube amp must have a load when not on STBY.  They do make loads that you can use to reduce volume called attenuators.  You can also make a cab isolation box which is a sealed, sound proofed box containing your cab.  Using both together would certainly allow you to crank your amp without bothering the neighbors.  There may be other issues such as heat generated, extra wear on the tubes etc. but that is the answer.  Check out these links for more info...

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Quiet_Please_Attenuators_and_Their_Many_Uses

http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

http://www.amptone.com/diyisobox.htm

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

oh awesome!  I wasn't really sure what to search for when I started this thread since it is my 1st tube amp so sorry if this is a redundant topic.

edit:  Before I go and try this though, has anyone else done it long term?  Some threads I just looked up seem to think this was more of a safety feature than being intended to be used a lot.

edit2:  Actually the manual says to never turn it on without a cab connected.

"11. Speaker Outs – Connect speakers here using speaker cables only. 
You should only use one output (A, B, or C) at a time and never power 
the amplifier up without speakers connected. If you want to silence the

Looks like an attenuator is the best/safest option here. 
  • Upvote 1

Of course, do what makes you feel safe. There is a relay there to protect the transformer. I get a negative vote for something I was told directly from an L6 employee when I called about this over a year ago. Thanks radatats.

Well I guess that was a little harsh... sorry... but I don't care what anyone tells you, don't fire up a tube amp without a load.  Sure as hell something is bound to go wrong.  I suppose you could just use your DT in STBY without a load and record from the direct out but why would you?  You aren't getting any tube juice that way...

(I would pull the negative vote but it doesn't seem to let me so I upped your last post)

• Upvote 1

It's ok. I retaliated and then upped your last post. :)

Well I guess that was a little harsh... sorry... but I don't care what anyone tells you, don't fire up a tube amp without a load. Sure as hell something is bound to go wrong. I suppose you could just use your DT in STBY without a load and record from the direct out but why would you? You aren't getting any tube juice that way...

(I would pull the negative vote but it doesn't seem to let me so I upped your last post)

I've been using it in STBY, and it sounds good.  For some reason I'm getting a lot of noise going directly out from my PODHD500.  So instead I'm going POD>DT> then direct outs... which is kind of dumb since I essentially don't use anything on the DT, but I'm getting pretty much no noise this way.   I need to find time to debug where the noise is coming from. 

I really want to use the tubes though since I like that extra punch and clearity, or at least I would like to test and see how much of a difference it makes when using them to record.   Who knows, it may not be that noticeable at all by the time everything is mixed and eq'd. 

It just seems kind of like a waste to not find a way to use the tubes.  And I don't think an attenuator would be a complete waste to get even if it didn't end up sounding that much different.  Seems like a good pice of equipment to have for playing small gigs.

What do you all think? 

as an alternative, maybe not the best, but... You can reduce your DT volume considerably by changing to topology 1, class AB, and triode.  Don't really know if it is worth it but you can crank it a lot more before you reach the same volume levels...

I have just started experimenting with a Black Cat Unleash http://www.badcatamps.com/unleash.html between the head and cab, fed into my interface, then using Two Notes Wall of Sound for cab emulation in my DAW. Of course you could always use a cab sim on the HD. For low volume playing I find the Bad Cat awesome. Sounds much better than Low Volume Mode and means you don't have to have full amp versions of your patches.

• Upvote 1

I can't imagine paying $4-500 for one of these for my DT25.  However, I did find this site for DIY attenuators and I love it!  I think I am going to order the parts this weekend and give it a try.  I will post pics if I do it along with the results. Not including the case, parts are under $20...

http://guitarprojects.weebly.com/diy-attenuator.html

http://www.regiscoyne.com/Bohemian_Rhapsodyne/

• Upvote 1

OK so after doing all the research, sourcing the parts and case I decided to check eBay.  I found basically the same thing from Carl's Custom Guitars, $45 with free shipping.  Forget making one, I bought the 16ohm one and should have it Tuesday.  Basic but just the thing for a DT25.  I don't need a giant rock crusher...

Carl's Custom Guitars 16 ohm 50 watt Speaker Soak